Machine through the ice on Sturgeon Lake

Big Cliff

Just got home and on our way in the road there were a bunch of people standing on the shore, some people out in a boat on the ice, we stoped to see what was wrong and if we could help. Turns out some idiot was our running around on his sled right where the chanel is and where there was open water just a few days ago..... His machine is now at the bottom of the lake; fortunatly he was cold and wet but survived. Now there are people out there in a boat on the ice, trying to recover his machine.

We saw this young fellow riding his machine down in front of our place earlier today and watched him brake through the ice once but he managed to keep going. I guess he just had to keep trying until he didn't make it.

Boy I sure hope this teaches him a lesson!

You guys not remember being young and fearless??? I do.. and I bet my old bosses Johnson 340 is still on the bottom of his beaver pond... from 1978 ! Myself.. not a drop of water... up off the seat.. over the windshield.. off the hood and dove onto the ice! :D

You guys not remember being young and fearless??? I do.. and I bet my old bosses Johnson 340 is still on the bottom of his beaver pond... from 1978 ! Myself.. not a drop of water... up off the seat.. over the windshield.. off the hood and dove onto the ice! :D

:clapping: good times Wayne good times,I wish I had a helmet cam yesterday out riding with the ole man and a couple buds

Some people only get a chance to make a big mistake once, some of us get a second, 3rd..... try to mess things up.

Some people learn from their mistakes, some people learn from other's, some never learn, and some never get a chance to learn from their first one. Such is life. It's the family and friends that are left, that pay the biggest price.

Some people only get a chance to make a big mistake once, some of us get a second, 3rd..... try to mess things up.

Some people learn from their mistakes, some people learn from other's, some never learn, and some never get a chance to learn from their first one. Such is life. It's the family and friends that are left, that pay the biggest price.

and some lead a absolute boring life

so a young fella out having fun and has some poop luck and its Stupid,but be it several Ice fisherman go out and float away on chunks of ice that they know could very easily happen ,cost us who knows how much in resources OPP, Coast Guard ,Paramedics and its passed off as glad there ok HAHA

Sure I remember being young and fearless. :) Truth is a lot of what I did was very stupid, some of so that even at the time I recognised it as stupid. Quite honestly I still thank my lucky stars that I made through those years, some have been quite recently as a matter of fact. ;)

I worked with a guy who, along with his buds, used to regularily run their snowmobiles across open water and the wider the gap, the more fun they were having.

Not for me, but alot of guys enjoy the thrill or challenge of going outside the box and taking on dangerous sports......Hang gliding, cliff diving, base jumping, diving out of perfectly good airplanes, mountain climbing....

How many guys have been killed by avalanches in BC this year, and just around southern Ontario this winter 3 people have been killed while skiing and slamming into trees.

Yup, some folks just enjoy the rush from living on the edge.

Personally, I'm more concerned about the guy doing 150K on the 401 who's gonna take out an innocent family when he wipes out.

Well apart from not wanting to see some young fellow loose his life from having fun, I care about the people that had to go out there and rescue him from the water, I also care about the people that were out there trying to recover his machine from the bottom of the lake and I care about the oil and gas that has been dumped into the water.

To run open water when you have a support team or plan in place is one thing, I have run open water on my sled, this young fellow didn't even have a floater suit on! He was just lucky that he wasn't too far from shore and that some people on shore happened to see him go through. He was lucky that there was an aluminum boat sitting upside down on the shore that wasn't frozen into the ice so the rescurers had a way to get out to him.

Taking a chance running open water when you know what you are doing and have the equipment in place in case you run into a problem is one thing! Fooling around on thin ice near a strong current, by yourself just to see how far you can go is just stupid in my books!

still running sleds around my place cliff, went out and augered a couple holes around 22 inches of ice, but it's getting punky fast seen some floating ice sheets around kennedy bay, but with 240 studs and 150+ hp I don't really worry about a bit of open water just keep the fun flipper to the bar

Sure I remember being young and fearless. :) Truth is a lot of what I did was very stupid, some of so that even at the time I recognised it as stupid. Quite honestly I still thank my lucky stars that I made through those years, some have been quite recently as a matter of fact. ;)

I'm with Chris. Some of the things I did in my teens give me chills when I think about them now. At the time you know you are doing something really stupid but never really believe that you, or someone else, will suffer the consequences.

Yeah once he broke through the first time you would expect him to clue in a bit.

A few years ago we had two cops ride their 4 wheelers out to tell the ice fishermen that the ice wasn't safe, on there way back to shore they went over mouth of a creek and broke through. One of them had a hard time getting out weighed down with gun and stuff. If you don't know the area it can happen to anybody.

But the dumbest thing was guys playing chicken with two 1000 yamaha sleds, the guys bailed and nothing recognizable left of the sleds. Just imagine jumping off a sled at over 100 mph Oww...Oww ...Oww