Hot Question

raysfish2005

Ok this may or may not happen to you........

Its dec 26 your going fishing........ice fishing like in the old days, you pull out your fishing lic and realize you need a new sticker for the back for the upcomming season so you get one like the good little fisher person you are, Blam on goes the sticker your good to go, you go to your spot and have a great weekend of fishing

but you forget your card at the cottage, now a buddy askes you to go fishing the next weekend at his lake, far away from your cottage.............so what do you do?, easy buy another card and sticker because getting caught is not worth the fine or hasslle, now you have two.........Now the fun begins, the ice is off the water and your like a kid in a candy store, you check the boat battery get all your lures lined up and you get nooo sleep the night befor you leave, you head up the 400 and wave at the 400 rip of shake as you go buy.

When you get to gods counrty you pull into the gas station and fill the tanks for a glorios day of fishing and it hits you like a dead herring on a salmons line, lic is still in the skidoo suit at home, no problem i have one at the cottage, you look and search but you cant find the it. your royal honey askes what your looking for and you say the little piece of heaven that allows you to fish, she looks at you say's, i picked it up last time because you left it on the counter and brought it back home ..........why do you need it?

ok you take a deep breath go back into town and buy another lic and sticker............your now the proud owner of 3 cards.

As luck would have it you get stopped by the Co and he askes for your lic, Hear you go a nice slip of paper with the sticker attached, plus your laughing as you hand it over, the Co askes whats so funny and you say i had to buy another sticker and lic because i can be an idiot at times.............the Co informs you that a person can only have one card at a time its illegal two have 2, not being that much of an idiot i say not me my buddy................so i wonder is there a special rule on owning more than one card?

Now i can see the legal terms comming into play for a poacher.....he gets caught and hands over his lic, the CO takes it and the poacher gets a court date 1 year later but he has another lic and keeps on fishing.

Just wondering

You have the right to remain silent and its one of those rights that is super handy for both crooks and honest guys.

You can't possibly know ever rule and regulation, so it always best to stay as quiet as possible so you don't talk yourself into a ticket based on some obscure rule written to just tax regular folks out of a few more bucks.

Then again, I might buy TWO licenses, but by the third time, I'd take my chances on running into a CO and then do my best to talk my way out of the ticket on the off chance that happened.

When they introduced licencing this was not going to be a problem because your outdoors card would register you on a computor system that could be accessed from anywhere and you wouldn't need it on you.

Someone must have figured out the $ to be made so they got rid of that idea and made the fine for failing to show your licence more than the fine for not having one and of coarse you can't have 2 so what they want you to do is fish without it so they can fine you. You could get the one day licence but if you own a boat and a lot of gear this will draw suspiSion that you forgot your licence and now have 2 . So the only thing you can do if you forget your licence is drive back however hundreds of miles it takes and get it.

From my experience the next time it happens to me I will fish without the licence and save the world some greenhouse gasses and if I get caught I will extend this stupidity one step further and do the jail time.

I'LL JUST TELL THE MAN I DIDN'T KILL ANYONE

I'M JUST TRY'N TO HAVE ME SOME FUN........

Ok, so it is against the law to have more than one licence but if you loose one you have to replace it right? So you loose your licence, buy a replacement, find the one that you lost and you could be fined for finding something that you had lost? :dunno:

I'd much rather be standing in court trying to explain that one to a judge than trying to explain fishing without one.

i keep my card in my wallet & a photocopy in my my boat, as well as another photocopy in my trailer up north

though im almost never without my card , i figure if i ever am, the photocopy will do in a pinch & show that I made an honest attempt to have some proof aboard with me - though I have never been ckecked for a license ever in my 7 yrs of having to possess one :blush:

LOL too funny Ray..

been there done that, Bought a 3 year conv licence then reliased that if I wanted more than 2 walleye I needed to get a sport licence so each year I paid again to get the sports. Then was told it was a no-no to have more than one licence. Fine how much to upgrade sorry you can't..

Mine is in the old wallet too. along with the boaters card, the Radio licence and the $$ for minows :)

Ray..the (semi) legal method..and what I had to do with a Daughter that left her Card in TO, when she came to the lake this summer. Buy another licence from the bait shop and have them tick the box for the "lost" OD card. Fish with the new piece of paper and destroy the old card when you get home. Keep your mouth shut when the CO's boat is banging the gunnel of yours!

And Paul..I hear you on the upgrade CAN"T and why I took some Muskie flack fishing my final year of three on my Conservation licence. You can't go buy a 1 year Sports licence and slap it on the back of your three year Con Licence card.

I'm pretty sure a photocopy of a licence is not legal but you should make a few copies of your opperators card as its not a licence.

You do not have the right to remain silent with an Ontario CO you have to answear thier questions, just don't volunteer anything as they're fish'n too.

What Irish said ... me I ALWAYS leave it in the car ... that way I cant get too far from it :) ... unless someone else is driving (which is almost never anyhows) ... but then I am anal about it ... I check it way too often (just to be sure it hasnt expired) ... but ya I would buy a new one and declare the old one lost .. which it will be the second I find it :)

So to nswer the question .. yes it is illegal to have two valid Fishing licences ... so if you get a second one just destroy the first .... in your case however I would have called the ministry ... for 10$ they will send you a new one ... or even better you can do it online and print your own until the actual card arrives ....

Ray,

In your defense you had really LOST the first one and just not forgotten it because it definitely was NOT where you thought it was thanks to your lovely wife!!! If all other defenses fail just tell the judge your wife hid the card from you to keep you home cleaning the gutters.... and when you went to replace it the teenager working at the bait shop was talking on their cellphone to her boyfried and therefore failed to ask you the proper questions... so you didn't get the lost box checked as required I am sure any reasonable judge who has been married will understand part one and lets face WHO hasn't been waited on in a store by a teenager with raging hormones? I bet the judge will you off the hook, unless it is a small town and he owns the baitshop and it was his daugher working LOL.

I also keep it in my wallet but the day they got me I was 10 miles out in LO before I realized I didn't have it. I knew of some who had forgot thiers and were given a chance to show it at Napanee so I didn't get too excited over it figured I'd have a good excuse for a bike ride to Napanee. But when the CO showed up he would't have any of that and of coarse I told him I had one and forgot it so he wrote me up for the more expensive fine.

I almost had a chance to get my money back with a towing fee last year when a CO passed over a rock right beside me but he missed it ...sigh..

Since at all times you were trying to do the right thing I think the judge would have ruled in your favor. The lost box does seem to be the right answer or a one day license both will cover your butt and the water police cant say a word about your one day license and a boat full of equiptment.

Art