My Father retired after 42 Years at the same Company!

web-fisherman

My Father retired after 42 Years at Eastman Kodak Company. I am so proud of him. He has several patents and provided wonderfully for my mother and 2 brothers.

Any gift ideas for such a remarkable accomplishment? My wife and I (kids) are taking him out to eat tonight to celebrate. However, His company is putting on a large scale party in which I feel my wife and I should do something.

Edited by Web-Fisherman

Well, I don't know about your dad but the very best gift my kids can ever give me is spending time with them, it is the one thing I can never have too much of and I cherish every minute. I think most fathers would feel the same! How about bringing him up to Lakair for the G2G this summer? Now that would be something special that he would never forget!

My buddy Kirk, took his dad out to Vancouver to one of those "fishing trips of a lifetime" (think upscale, flash freeze your catch and fed ex. it home) kind of place. About $5000. in all, but memories that will last forever.

Tell your dad congratulations from me, I love to see them get out alive.

This story might be the best news to come out of Eastman Kodak that I have heard in some time.

Jim

PS. You're a good son.

Nothing beats time together - doing what he'd really enjoy. :Gonefishing:

Good to hear a success story from a US ICON that has been faced with reinventing itself over the last decade or so.

Edited by Barnie's Band of Gold

First and foremost, congratulations to your father for his well earned retirement :clapping:

Taking him out for supper is a good start and I'm sure he will enjoy it.

You mention that the company he worked for will be honoring him at a large scale party.... write up a nice speech for him with details of his evolution throughout the years that he worked there and be the one to be the speaker at his reception.

Not an easy task to do but I'm sure that he would be very proud of you.

Next I would tell him that he is invited to join you and your family to a place of your choice, it be fishing, camping, touring etc....

After 42 years of working for the same company, your dad deserve the very best and I know you will make it happen for him.

Leechman

Wayne said it best

There'd be no bigger gift than a big hug and a thanks for all you've done for "me" statement

I know I owe that, and much more to my pop and mudder.

Anyhting else, is material.

Trust me,I know what Im talking about here.

Thanks Wayne for saying that.

Wayne said it best

There'd be no bigger gift than a big hug and a thanks for all you've done for "me" statement

I know I owe that, and much more to my pop and mudder.

Anyhting else, is material.

Trust me,I know what Im talking about here.

Thanks Wayne for saying that.

Excellent!!! And he is the type of father that would rather have that.

Thanks

First and foremost, congratulations to your father for his well earned retirement :clapping:

Taking him out for supper is a good start and I'm sure he will enjoy it.

You mention that the company he worked for will be honoring him at a large scale party.... write up a nice speech for him with details of his evolution throughout the years that he worked there and be the one to be the speaker at his reception.

Not an easy task to do but I'm sure that he would be very proud of you.

Next I would tell him that he is invited to join you and your family to a place of your choice, it be fishing, camping, touring etc....

After 42 years of working for the same company, your dad deserve the very best and I know you will make it happen for him.

Leechman

Leechamn your awesome! Well said. Advise will be taken.

Thanks

Mike

I worked on the Railroad for 30 years and had to take a early retirement because both my shoulders were bad. Left one needs to be replaced. Thank God it's the left as I can still fish and hunt.

Most railroad guys have 40+ years before retiring so I seen quite a few retire in their 60's but only one really sticks out in my mind because what the family did on his last day at work.

The family hired a stretch limo that was waiting in surprise for the ride home for this worthy dad on his way home. Blew me and others away to see that limo pull up and take this retire home from work for his last time.

Of course on their last work day at least on the RR you just come in sign the time sheet, eat some cake and thank everyone who you worked with. So if you can use this idea try checking with his supervisors to see what time will be heading home so the limo's timing is correct.

Bob