Nobody will be shopping at Rock and Reel anytime soon

irishfield

Yep, heard about that.

Stopped in for roe and fishin chat numerous times, never crossed my mind that it was a drug front. WOW.

Although when I think about it there was never any business in the fishing department so it was strange how it stayed open

At least the name of the place was appropriate.

The original plan was to have a rock climbing section upstairs and fishing downstairs. Used to be run out of an old house, now its in a plaza. Weird place, has a bar in the front presumably to detract attention from unsavoury folks entering and exiting?

This hit me hard, I have literally been going there since I was 11 or 12 for my fishing gear.

Ian ( the guy who owns it) fishes lots of tournaments and has been on shows etc, I am sure many here know him personally.

This is crazy I was just in there a few weeks ago buying weights for the lures I make. I always found it kind of funny that there was a bar in the front as well. Kemper your right the fishing department was never really busy. I can't believe the owner was involved in that kind of thing.

DANG! I was about to go in there today around 3:00 PM to have a look see but I had to get home for my daughter to get off the bus from school. OMG, I even told the wife next time she's looking for fishing stuff for me to check this new location out! I can just see it now, "here honey try these new rocks insteads of the splitshots as they will get more fish looking at your bait"... Glad I didn't stop in today (BTW, I haven't read the link yet).

From 1975 to 1983 I lived in a suburb with a lot of ponds along the highway that passed thru it, only one was fenced in, it had a building with cars parked by it all the time but I never saw any one fishing. Back of the pond was real close to the fence and I could see bass cruising the shoreline.

One day I decided to see what the deal was on the place and if I could get permission to fish it. I drove around to the front entrance a heavy wire electric sliding gate, with cameras mounted on poles and the building and a sign something trout club.

I buzzed the buzzer on the gate, it opened, I drove up to the building and went inside, I was greeted by man mountain, can I help you? Ya wondering how I go about fishing here, it`s a club you need a referral and 1000 bucks a year to join. Thanks! No thanks!

Bar by the door with a scantily dressed hottie? A dozen cars but nobody fishing or at the bar? Hmmm trout club? something smells fishy. The place was in the newspapers about two months later, high stakes gambling operation.

I went past it today and was SOOO temped to pull in but decided it was in my best interest not to... I wanted to see if I could get some HOT deals but I figured I better not push my luck... ;)

Edited by GBW