Power Pro and Spinning Reels

theRJ

Hey everyone long time no speak.

Well after many years I have come to a point where I have to question my choice of line on my spinning outfit. (currently P-line fluoroclear)

I was fishing smallies on my buddies lake this fall and the spool memory was making my life miserable since we were fishing in 20+ water.

Will the lack of memory in PP/braid eliminate a good chunk of the line twist? I usually have to pull a section of line every other trip and either untwist it (drag it without a lure behind an idling boat) or cut out a section that has gone birdsnesty on me.

Thanks

RJ

yea, u will end that issue with braid, i would however go with spiderwire. couple bucks more, but a far better braid. i have used both and found spiderwire to be stronger and more smooth to use, and the green dye comes off the PP the first time it gets wet.

There's a lot of aspects to look at with braid vs mono.

I have found with a lot of experimenting that, you need to really match the reel you have and rod you have to a specific braid and lb test.

Smaller diameter will birds nest easier than heavier lb test braid, but it also has less memory. I only use braid with an equivalent dia. of about 6 lb or 8LB mono, then use a flourocarbon leader. Smaller dia causes too many "wind tangles".

I like spider wire for spinning and Power pro for heavier baitcast rigs.

Again I prefer mono Berkley XL - extra limp- for small dia spinning rigs. 6 or 8 lb for Smallies and Walleye.

I will only use braid for very deep applications or very heavy cover, brush and weeds.

I also find the braid works better with a fiberglass rod, and mono with higher quality graphite rods.

If you get a really badly twisted line just take it for a quick troll with nothing on the end of the line. Let out half the spool with nothing tied on, and troll it as fast as you can, the water drag will pull the twist right out in a couple hundred yards.

GL MIKE

Trophy_Muskie_www.reelpro.ca_1.jpg

yea, u will end that issue with braid, i would however go with spiderwire. couple bucks more, but a far better braid. i have used both and found spiderwire to be stronger and more smooth to use, and the green dye comes off the PP the first time it gets wet.

Yellow box spiderwire, XXX stealth i believe its called stuff is amazing dont get me wrong i do use PP but am a bigger fan of thw spiderwire

Years ago I used braided nylon or dacron on a large spinning reel, never tried any of the new braids on one. Dacron and nylon had a different feel coming off the spool, not like mono.

Don`t reel against the drag, if the fish wants to take the drag let him, just keep pressure on and slack out of the line. Reeling against the drag can cause line twist. I don`t use the drag often so no problems.

Guest skeeter99

spiderwire is not as nice and smooth casting and will cut more into your spool more than power pro

spidewire is flat

power pro is round like mono

I tried Power Pro for the last little bit of the 08 season, and was surprised by how curly it came off the reel. Looked like a 20' pigtail sitting up on top of the surface. Constant knots, worse than when I was just learning to cast on mono. Dunno if I got a bad spool of PP, or what - but I've gone back to Rapala Titanium. The coating may rub off a bit, but it lays out flat for me and doesn't tie itself in knots.

Around here there is really no reason to fish anything but braid on spinning,just tape it to the spool or use backing to prevent slipping.Fish a mon/flouro leader if your concerned about visability.You will eliminate twist by fishing braid due to it not having memory and its super sensitive.One thing I look for is a fine weave with braid for spinning,I find Super Stren braid casts well due to this but just about any braid will be a huge step up compared to mono/flouro.

Ps. you may not like braid for topwater becuase it will hang hooks and if you fish cranks you may prefer flouro because it sinks were as braid has more resistence in water.

Edited by hirk

I used Power Pro for the first time last year (on a friends outfit) bottom bouncing for Kenai River Rainbows and Dollies and have to say it worked incredibly well.

So well in fact that I will be running it on my bottom bouncing rod this year. I am currently waiting for my order to arrive so I can spool up. :P

It is so much more sensitive than mono in this situation I caught many more fish. I have been using Spiderwire on my walleye jigging rods for several years and it has really increased my hooking %. I'm hooking fish with it that I would never even know were there with mono. I always run a flouro or mono leader as the braids get beat up quickly in the rocks, especially when trolling.

Thanks for the input everyone.

I think braid seems to be a good option by general consensus.

I like PP just because I use it on my baitcast setup and I have

not been given any reason to hate it. I appreciate your thoughts

on other options but I'll stick with what has worked great for me.

Thanks

RJ

I have used all the brands of superline mentioned and a few others.

Until now I was a Tuff-Line/Power Pro fan, but this year I bought the new Fireline Tracer and really like the feel and the visibility.

The smallest diameter I have found is 15 pound = 4 pound mono and I am using it on my spinning rods.

This is an 8 strand braid, so it should be even rounder that the 4 strand T-L & PP lines.

If your PP is full of curls, I suspect that you put it on backwards.

Just like mono & fluoro lines, superline needs to be wound on so that it is coming off the bulk spool in the same direction as the bail is turning.

Superlines do eventually get twisted, but because they are not a single strand, they absorb the line twist for a long time before showing it.

Dragging them behind the boat like you would mono, will straighten them out, this will also work on Teenagers ... wink.

Three tips for spinning reels with any line are:

Don't over fill the spool.

Close the bail by hand.

Place the line on the roller of the bail by hand.

Edited by garry2rs

If you close the bail by hand instead of turning the reel handle line twist will not be a problem unless you reel in agaist the drag as said before, closeing the bail with the handle of the reel twists the line . .

I don't understand your reasoning. Regardless of whether the bail closes mechanically or manually, I don't see how it can twist your line.

I find Power Pro to be a very good line. I used to use Fireline alot of the time but after losing two decent musky to breakoffs in half an hour, I switched and have been happy since.

I don't know about line twist, but I recommend always closing the bail by hand and pulling the line into the roller bearing. That way you keep the line tight on the spool and avoid loops jumping off. It also prevents those line-wound-on-the-front-of-the-spool screw-ups, that happen when the bale doesn't quite close or the line rides just off the roller for a couple of turns.

On the other hand feel free to do it anyway you like, there are no laws.