BlackCat heaters?

Gerritt

Well I just noticed at Canadian Tire they were on for 59.00 there were only a couple left so I grabbed one.. it is a 3,000 btu unit, but in my haste i did very little research on them... so are they any good? and for 59.00 is it worth it?

Gerritt.

Hey Gerritt,

I had one a few years back and returned it within a week - just didn't give off enough heat for my liking. Since then, all I've used is the Mr. Heater Buddy. Ability to switch from 4000 or 9000 BTU's with the flick of a switch, automatic shut-off if CO gets to high.

No brainer in my eyes.

BPS in Toronto has them on sale for $99 right now.

Just my 2-cents.

Justin

Edited by JustinHoffman

I bought a Black Cat last year and am quite happy with it. A bottle of propane lasts about 8 hours so if you put it in the tent when you go to bed it keeps the chill off till morning. My son also uses it all winter in his ice hut.

EddyK,

I assume the first scenario you are describing is when camping?

"A bottle of propane lasts about 8 hours so if you put it in the tent when you go to bed it keeps the chill off till morning."

I wouldn't suggest running a propane heater throughout the night in a confined space while sleeping. The CO fumes will build up something fierce over eight hours, and since this unit doesn't have a built-in shut down gauge, I'd say you're taking unecessary risks with your life. Not to mention how easy it is to knock those Black Cat units over - especially easy when sleeping - in a very flammable environment!

Just a thought...

When using my heater during ice fishing, I always have a small vent open, and routinely open the door to get fresh air in and let built-up gas out. This certainly isn't possible when you are zonked out in slumber..

Here's a Press Release from the Coalition on Safety in the States. I wanted to paste this here, as I don't want any members to read the above post, and believe that sleeping with a propane heater on is a safe and trustworthy activity.

Using Portable Heaters Overnight In Tents Poses Carbon Monoxide Threat To Campers, Warns Safety Coalition

Cleveland, OH --- Whether hiking, biking, hunting or fishing, every outdoors-person wants to keep warm at night, and campers need to know about the potential dangers of using a portable propane heater or camp stove in an unventilated enclosure.

Camp stoves and portable heaters that are designed to be used outside can emit hazardous carbon monoxide (CO) if improperly used inside a tent, truck cap, RV or camper. Every camper should read the manufacturer’s operating instructions and packaging before operating any portable propane product, according to Dennis Pavan, Spokesman for the Coalition for Portable Propane Product Safety. (Visit www.propaneproducts.org)

“Campers who are particularly vulnerable are those who attempt to use these devices overnight while sleeping,” says Pavan. “Therefore, they are unable to recognize the early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – which can easily be mistaken for a cold or flu.”

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, sleepiness and confusion. Carbon monoxide reduces the blood’s ability to carry oxygen. Low oxygen levels in the blood can result in the loss of consciousness and death.

“Alcohol consumption and drug use also increase the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning,” says Pavan.

Rather than relying on fuel-burning appliances to supply overnight heat, the Coalition urges campers to wear adequate clothing, use a thermally rated sleeping bag, and to consume extra calories and fluids to help keep warm at night.

The Coalition sponsors the “Camp Safe” Education Program, dedicated to making consumers aware of the dangers of using fuel-burning products inside. There are certain heaters available that are designed specifically for temporary use inside recreational enclosures. But no matter what kind of heater, the Coalition recommends NOT using a portable propane product overnight while sleeping.

Good Fishing,

Justin

Edited by JustinHoffman

Camp stoves and portable heaters that are designed to be used outside can emit hazardous carbon monoxide

That is true. However, the Coleman BlackCat and other catalytic hearters are not in this class of appliance. In fact, they are approved for indoor use as they do not 'burn' the propane.

In addition to comfort and efficiency, the catalytic process produces fewer gases (such as nitrous oxide or carbon monoxide) than conventional flame or radiant combustion at normal oxygen levels. It is important to remember that all combustion consumes oxygen; although all of the Coleman catalytic heaters have been approved for indoor use , some ventilation is required to minimize oxygen depletion.

dOUG,

Yes, the Black Cat is a catalytic heater, but it is still only recommended to be used as a "temporary" heat source when used indoors, and still needs to have adequate ventilation, as it still consumes oxygen - albeit not as a high a rate as other heaters. One good thing about the Mr. Heater units is the automatic shut off.

Regardless of the type, 8 hours in a tent while sleeping seems to be pushing it to me...

Justin

Edited by JustinHoffman

Mine is called a 'golf cat' ... it has a cup shaped base that happen to fit exactly in a cupholder of a golf cart ... how cool is that ...

I only ever use it Ice fishing though .. and works fine inside the hut ... does little good outside ... not enough 'kick'

ok so back to my original question.... :) for 59 bux is it a good deal? or should I return it for the mr.buddy for 99 bux and drive to Vaughn? anywhere in the hamilton area these things can be had? I will be useing SMALL hut... should be enough to keep the edge off no?

Gerritt.

Yes .. sorry to digress Gerritt ... mine works just fine in a small hut (and the only difference is I can also use it in a golf cart (but its the same unit essentially and works fine to keep the portable toasty ... doesnt burn gas too fast either :)

I'm quite comfortable in my Eskimo Quik Flip II with the blackcat, but I think my blood is rather thin anyways. I thought about gettin Mr. Heater but opted for the cheaper Coleman. Might try the Mr. Heater in a year or two. Gotta git me a video camera or a Vex first.

I wonder if Zodi has a bigger model.

5990.gif

Sry Gerritt, I can contribute something. I've used the BlackCat in early May in Algonquin. With the ventilation offered in a modern tent with top mesh panel and full fly, the heater made a slight difference in the inside temp, say from 0C to maybe 5 degrees. I don't think that it actually drove off the damp, since the 'burning' of fuel makes a fair bit of water. I could tell you how much water, but I can't really be bothered to do all that figgerin. Then again, maybe modern tents are only supposed to keep you dry, keeping warm is up to you.

I think the same unit with a fan, the Power Cat is a better idea. I thought that most of the heat went directly up thru the tent vent, and a fan to move the air around is a good idea. I expect that would be the same for an ice hut.

If you are really serious about being toasty, go for the Zodi. If you would only learn how to dress for the weather, then the PowerCat would be my choice.

Edited by douG

Mr heater is also at your local Princess auto store. Shop around though,prices vary everywhere.

Sorry,but the black cat bites.

Myself I like the open flame burner. Yes I vent. It is easy to warm up a can of stew,melt a nice warm grill cheese on raisen bread.

Just make sure you have a good holder for the bottle.