Something to think about... (NF)

Gerritt

I just watched this... it is only 13 minutes long... but it show exactly what can happen when companies make mistakes, or care less.... all we are are a number to them....

Something to think about... and pretty sad..

<embed src='http://www.cbs.com/thunder/swf/rcpHolderCbs.swf?partner=userembed&vert=News&autoPlayVid=false&releaseURL=http://release.theplatform.com/content.select?pid=w4QWnBFnIFw6sChGZTK2CYyHgj1wqHMX' name='cbsPlayer' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always' width='506' height='494' wmode='transparent' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer' />

G

It's happening everywhere you look. It's just really beginning in Canada now. Give it another 6 months.

I see and hear of more getting layoff notices or of hour cuts every day.The hardest hit will always be one plant, factory, towns. There is nothing to fall back on.

I don't even have to watch it

I see first hand what has happened, the place is just a short 40minute drive from me.

I've worked for two different companies over the years that had a hand it the airpark development(first Airborne then DHL).

Can't believe the money that the German company invested in the new sorting facility just three or four years ago, one has to wonder. Between this and what has happen to the auto industry here it's not pretty.

On a brighter note a previous employer was on their way out when they landed the new sort facility contract and it made them right in a hurry.

Thanks Gerritt, a lot of friends, former co-workers, even bosses were employed at the DHL terminal in the Cleveland area (Middleburg Heights).

Job loss here in the states is becoming epidemic. BrookPark Ford plants, engine plants 1&2 and casting plant once employed about 12,000 people, now about 1,200?

Chevy Plant in Parma 3-4 thousand now less than one thousand.

Ford Plant in Lorain closed.

Massive jobs cuts at Avon Lake Ford plant.

Twinsburg Chrysler Plant

Ford Walton Hills

and the trickle down affect to other local industries and businesses, even city government.

Having all the eggs in one basket can totally screw up a community if that business has a down turn or goes bust.

Jobs affect the housing market, no jobs? No home sales, and home losses. People get hurt!

DHL was trying to compete against UPS, a tough job any where.

Depressing really...all I can say is invest in your own education, it's one of the few things that the economy can't affect, and is the key to remaining employed in the dog-eat-dog employment market.

More true words could not be spoken.

Creating that "Plan B" income stream from home does not hurt either. There are a ton of ways to make extra cash from home. It's better to have it set up and running before the lay-off notice comes.

So What is the Root cause of this KOS? All I know is things started when Mortgages couldn't be paid because Banks and so on were giving away money they didnt have. Kind a wonder whats going to happen with the Credit Card Companies. My Daughter got one i9n the mail when she was still in High school. I got a Platinum one that I never even asked for. My line of credit instantly went up as soon as I was close to the previous limit.

So What is the Root cause of this KOS? All I know is things started when Mortgages couldn't be paid because Banks and so on were giving away money they didnt have. Kind a wonder whats going to happen with the Credit Card Companies. My Daughter got one i9n the mail when she was still in High school. I got a Platinum one that I never even asked for. My line of credit instantly went up as soon as I was close to the previous limit.

I have not watched the video yet, but I would say that this all started long before the mortgage situation in the States. That it started when companies started to move from here to the States, then from the States to Mexico. Then from Mexico to India and China.

It was all well and good to say that we were going to switch to a service sector economy, but when people don't have jobs (I mean good paying jobs, like in the manufacturing sector) they don't buy services. They also don't buy houses, boats, pay their mortgages, etc.

I believe that globalization has killed this economy and it didn't happen over night. The only people that thrive in a globalized world are the owners of companies that used to pay $25.00 per hour to have their product made and now pay $25.00 per week. What they will ultimately find though is that there is no one with any money left to buy their products (at least not here)!

What I don't really understand is the reluctance to adopt a "protectionism" sort of attitude (like dictating that government supplied contracts use local products). I bet the people who are laid off from the jobs would love some protectionism right now.

Jim

most people that work for major corporations are just numbers dont ever forget it. they have no loyalty to you so watch your own a-- all the time. Im lucky i work for a smaller family runned business but i deal with major corperatiosn daily.

its really sad some of the uses and abuses i have seen out there.

I think the key to everybody is to make as much money as you can and save so if we ever go through thsi again people will be prepared better if they lose there jobs. This is only the start and it is going t be a rough ride for many people. I personally have had a 22% sales increase in 2008 so I know I am safe but its the old saying what are you doing for me today that has me worrried. 2009 may not be as kind to me.

cheers!

Any one study history? Southern states lost the civil war here mostly because they had little or no industry, they got what they needed from the northern states or overseas through trade. Once their ports became subject to blockade it hurt them badly.

Second civil war here started during the 60`s, the jobs war. Southern states still didn`t have industry, modern farming methods and tools freed up labor, but no jobs for them. Welfare states, it started the great raids on northern industry. Move your plants, here, few if any unions, cheap labor, tax abatements.

Every trade magazine had ads for companies to move south. Some companies offered skilled trades the opportunity the option to move with them eg. Grumman Aircraft and others.

Companies learned from that, cheap labor down south, but cheaper in Mexico, the next move, plus few if any pollution controls, officials easily bribed. Now China and India.

Jobs loss has been going on for a long time, just might be at the tipping point now though, sooner or later you can`t recover.

I just watched this... it is only 13 minutes long... but it show exactly what can happen when companies make mistakes, or care less.... all we are are a number to them....

Something to think about.

G

... and it's that attitude right there that will get your :asshat: canned the quickest!!!

It most certainly is a time of uncertainty. For some more real than others. Survival...is in us all....and I believe in the promise "this too shall pass".

I lived it, many years ago...I know it and I'll never forget it...lasted 4 years....it's hard to get up when you've been beaten down...

I don't like the news....but I listen to it....and I hope that I never wrap my arms around what I have so tight that I miss the opportunity to help my brother/sister.

Im heading to the bush.Going to build a log cabin and make moss moonshine,shoot deer,bear,squrriles and moose. I can do this, cause Im :canadian:

We have slowed and gone to a shorten week,but the toolroom is strong,5-6 days a week. WE WILL SURVIVE.Im still doing 40+hrs a week.

I do feal for those.

"

'

''

'

'

'

''

Anyone catch the CAW/UAW ,saying they will take a wage cut today to save jobs???????????????????????

. Yer BLUFF WE HAVE DONE WHAT WE CAN DO push, didnt work did it?

Time for those that want to keep thier jobs,homes,trucks and cars to speak out.Yes you all thought that man behind the big sign would serve you,but hey,here ya go.Theres yer sign.

'

'

'

'

'

'AND IT,S NOT THE WERE ON STRIKE.

It,s the one that says,I want to work and have a LIFE.

Sorry G if I went off here,but I think I called this one a while back.

... and it's that attitude right there that will get your :asshat: canned the quickest!!!

Given my line of work Glen, I will not be out of work for long... infact I quit my job a little over a month ago.. and had the luxury of taking a week off (my choosing)... as I have alot of contacts in the industry.. needless to say I was hired the same day I started to make a few calls... Union wage, without the union is nice....

I am not a proud person when it comes to earning my living.. if they want to pay 45.00 an hour to build a custom home or shovel crap.... there is no difference to me.. an hour is an hour... perhaps more people need to view their job as I do..

G

And some are even legal. ;)

LMAO :thumbsup_anim:

Layoff victim here. It sucks but what can you do. Any links to these legit work at home things

charlied check your inbox. Aside from opportuinties such as the one I pm'ed you there is internet marketing. If you are handy you can advertize for odd jobs on Kijiji (I'm surprising the wife with a 5th anniversary trip back to the same resort we went to on our honeymoon by doing odd jobs this way. It let me pay for the trip without her knowing about it!). I also sell flies that I tie and other baits I make at home.

As far as DHL goes as someone said before they choose to enter a market against UPS and FedEx and couldn't compete.

As for some of the other stuff that is happening as far as I'm concerned it's out right GREED & THEFT

Edited by Whopper

This will upset you..... CitiBank is a recipient of federal bailout funds.... that the taxpayers LOANED them.... why is it them that CitiBank can afford $400 million dollars for the naming rights for the New York Mets new stadium?

I think the new stadium should be called "Screw the taxpayer field"

G