Ultralite reel suggestions.

BillM

Hey guys,

I'm looking at upgrading my arsenal by adding in an ultralite spinning reel. This will be used on my Fenwick UL 6' rod for chasing brookies and any other unsuspecting victims that I may encounter :) This is going to be a dedicated small stream reel.. I'll be using either 2-4lb mono, small #0 and #1 spinners. I currently have a lower end quantum that I picked up in a rush and the drag is anything but smooth. Some shakers in the Notty gave that reel a work out and I was lucky that I even landed them. I've been looking at a Stradic/Sustain series, the Quantum Energy E10PTi-B series and I guess anything else someone can suggest. I'll be using this reel 2-3 times a week, so it needs to stand up to the constant usage. Bushwacking isn't easy on reels as you know, so something sturdy is definitely needed.

I really like the 750 Sahara series for the size, but wish the higher end Shimano's came in those sizes (Stella not included, way out of my price range)

IMO the sedona/sahara are great reels ... especially for its price tag

but if you looking at something more highend ... have you looked at the shimano saros? I think its 1000 size is actually a 750 body, just that the spool size is 1000

I have Sedona 500's on both Frabil ice rods, and one each on a 6' Fenwick HMG (1 - 4 pound) and a 6.5' Shimano Clarus . . . perfect for anything from smelts to just about ANY panfish, or much larger fish. For some real fun . . . a spool of 2 pound line, a Sedona 500 & a 6' Fenwick HMG fishing the suckers along Simcoe in mid April . . . some of 'em hit 5 pounds! Not at all expensive either . . . about $70.00, with taxes . . . a GEN-U-WINE BARGOOOOOOON!)

I have a Daiwa Laguna 500. Not sure if they're made anymore but it has a smooth drag. I've landed 2-3lb smallies with it in the past and the drag is smooth. My only gripe is the drag knob doesn't click when you adjust it but in terms of performance, I can't complain.

I have ultra light reels from quantum, okuma and pflueger....all about 40-50 bucks and all of them are great reels

the pflueger president is very nice...my personal fav....but I know okuma has a few tiny sizes in a few of their high end models for sure....but I cna't justify dropping so much cash on a tiny reel that i wouldn't use as much as my more versatile reels.....but i bet they would be good.....

You won't find a reel that takes a beating like the 750 Diawa SS whisker.(ultra light)

By no means the smoothest reel when compared to newer units out there, but it takes a beating and still preforms day after day.

You either love 'em or hate 'em but that's the one I reach for on my backcountry excursions Stardic 1000 is the backup.

RF

I have a BPS Micro-lite Supreme which works great in the bush. Excellent drag and holds alot of line.

I also have a Mitchell 308 on a longer rod that I use for Pickeral, Panfish, and trolling puny Rapalas. Comes with an extra spool. So I got a choice of 4 or 6 Lb test.

Almost forgot, also a Daiwa 750 ultra lite, smoothest Drag in the world and tough

PA040057.jpg

Edited by holdfast

You won't find a reel that takes a beating like the 750 Diawa SS whisker.(ultra light)

By no means the smoothest reel when compared to newer units out there, but it takes a beating and still preforms day after day.

You either love 'em or hate 'em but that's the one I reach for on my backcountry excursions Stardic 1000 is the backup.

RF

I think you mean the 700. Definitely good reels as well and in the same weight range.

RF

I second it for the SS

My friend has a Shimano Compre 5'6 UL Spinning rod and a Pflueger President Micro Ultralight reel with it. He has nothing but perfection to say about this rod and reel combo. The reel is a good price and can be found here at BPS->

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...__SearchResults

Have a look!

Just thought I might mention . ... when you're looking at reels, does ANYONE check to see where you can get warranty or normal maintenance done. (Canada . . U. S., Europe?) I stick with Shimano, not only because I find them very reliable, but also because I can get quick efficient repair work done either at Aikmans (Mississauga) or up in Peterborough. (Head Office) SOME reels have to go stateside for work, can be stuck for weeks . . . not too important until your fave reel coughs out a week before opener!

I got a wicked deal and pulled the trigger on a Shimano Saros F. I like the fact that it uses the 750 body with the 1000 sized spool. Should go great with my UL.

Thanks guys!

shimano_saros_f.jpg

Edited by BillM