North West Ontario Meet Up Report

limeyangler

Hi Y'all,

Well it was an interesting 2 days...lol.

Saturday morning went according to plan, apart from the fact that Brkygetr broke down and couldn't make it, lol...that might have been blessing if it was fish you were after Dale!!

The group for the first part of the adventure on Lake Keikewabik for walleye was Glen, Mark, Barry, Matt and his son Ian, Lew and myself, without Dale and Benbeattie I was the only OFC member for the first day.

We arrived at Donnelly's Minnitaki Lodge near Sioux Lookout at 10:30am and were ready to go by about 11 am. Excellent camp...run by a nice guy called Darrel, very helpful, good service, lent us all kinds of stuff including a snowmachine helmet as one of our group forgot theirs, and got someone to lead the way across the 1/2 hour trail ride to the cabin. When we got there they had kindly already got the woodstove going that day so it was warm....did i mention it was only $25 per person for the night...generator and propane for cooking and lighting included...I RECOMMEND THESE GUYS !

ALREADY TO GO FROM DONNELLY"S

gtg1.jpg

After dropping our gear at the cabin we headed out onto the lake...IT WAS FREEZING!!!! It must have been at least minus 25C , but the wind was at least 30kmh....and where we set up it was being channelled through the islands and was gusting unto god knows what! Lew brought a couple of portable shelters but in his own words when he and Glen tried setting it up it was like " two fat guys para-sailing across the ice"....lol...i missed that...i was busy trying to set up my gear.

The 1st fish went to Matt....even before we were all set up....promising! After that it was sketchy. A few more Jackfish were caught, and kept because we were worried about supper as Dale who could not make it was bringing the supper stuff with him. In the end we got around 8 Walleye and 4 Jackfish......I SKUNKED!!!! oh well always tomorrow :rolleyes:

MATT GOT THE FIRST WHILE WE WERE STILL SETTING UP

gtg3.jpg

IT WAS FREEZING...ONLY THE ONE SHELTER TO GET OUT THE WIND

gtg2.jpg

A FEW MORE JACKFISH AND WALLEYE IN THE NEXT FEW HOURS.

gtg5.jpg

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i263.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid263.photobucket.com/albums/ii158/vishuscirquel/gtg4.flv">

It was sooooo cold and the fishing pretty slow we did not wait for the evening bite and were headed back to the warmth of the cabin with enough fish to eat by 3:30pm.

The company was great, Glen was hilarious as usual, and kept everyone in stitches all evening, even when the Whiskey had closed his eyelids his jokes and banter were still going...lol.

Hers a few shots from the evening.

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL (clockwise from left...Matt, Glen, Barry, Lew, Mark and young Ian)

gtg6.jpg

HAD TO THAW THE FISH

gtg7.jpg

GOT ENOUGH FOR SUPPER

gtg8.jpg

MATT AND GLEN GOT TO WORK FRYING...YOUNG IAN ASSISTED

gtg9.jpg

LOTS OF JOKES AND BANTER........THE WHISKEY FLOWED

gtg11.jpg

BARRY WAS TOO FUNNY....HE KEPT LAUGHING 30 SECONDS AFTER THE PUNCHLINES....

gtg10.jpg

gtg12.jpg

MARK AND MYSELF GOT CLEAN UP DUTY

gtg13.jpg

We all agreed that Matt was a twisted firestarter, and was not allowed near a woodstove again...he cooked us all that evening...it was like a sauna in that cabin!!!!!! Shouldn't complain, was better than freezing your Cojones off. I was up at around 7am the next morning to get breakfast started, was freezing out again but the wind had dropped off completely...hoped it would stay that way. After breakfast we did a good clean up of the cabin, packed our gear and headed back to the camp to load up and take the short drive to Big Sandy Lake for Whitefish and Lakers. We had arranged to meet Benbeattie and his buddy Graham at the lake.

BEAUTIFUL MORNING AT KEIKEWABIK LAKE

gtg14.jpg

ROLL CALL

gtg15.jpg

We got out on Big Sandy Lake by 11:30am, and as we rounded the peninsula we could see Ben’s 2-man portable set up by the reef. Ben had already iced a whitefish....things were looking up. Mark and myself went to the far side of the reef to cover more area so did not really have much contact with the rest of the group. I had all sorts of issues with my gear...first off i got water on the buttons of my fishfinder...so although i was not going to set up the shelter i did so i could thaw out the buttons to make it usable. Then my auger was malfunctioning....crappy gas in it, lol, and to make it worse i then ruined Graham's auger too cuz he'd run out of gas, and putting the stuff i had in it pooched it too...some maintenance coming up for the auger me thinks!!

The smelt was thick all over again. Even thicker than where I’d fished 3 days earlier on the same lake. At one point my whole screen in 50 FOW was completely blacked out with smelt. Mark did not get a bite, i got one follow and saw another large trout high up the water column but that was it. The wind picked up again and normal service resumed...freekin' freezin'! did not even get a pic of Ben's whitefish, too cold to want to get the camera out...i did not even get a picture of the whole group that day.

SMELT WAS OMNI PRESENT

gtg16.jpg

After an hour or so, Glen came over to say we were moving from the reef cuz we had to get out of the howling wind, also nobody had caught a thing...except Matt who snagged a smelt. We headed around the point of an island and set up, not really much fishing was done, and we built a fire, had smokies and chatted, The augers were kaput9both) and it took half an hour to drill 5 or six holes,

Smelt all over the place again. Ian had quietly broken away from the group and had dropped a line down the nearest hole in 9 FOW, he started shouting "I GOT ONE"......he certainly did, one of those big Jackfish that inhabit Big Sandy had hammered his minnow...................

GOOD JOB IAN!.........CANT DO MUCH IF A SWIVEL SNAPS.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i263.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid263.photobucket.com/albums/ii158/vishuscirquel/gtg17.flv">

After Ions break off Lew and myself tried in vain to land a fish with no luck. I'm a little shell shocked as that is the 1st time ever i have not caught a fish in 2 days of trying! Oh well , that’s fishing. Shame the fishing was slow for the much anticipated meet up, but the company was awesome, we laughed a lot, froze our nutz off, ate well, and all returned safely without too much drama. Everyone agreed we should do lots of summer meet ups and next year do an ice meet up in March!...lol...a little warmer and perhaps the fish would co-operate a bit more.

Anyway....that’s it for now.

Cheers

Simon

Wow---looks like you guys had the right attitude...too bad the fish didn't come through though. Seemed like with all the good trips you had at the beginning of the season this was going to be a bonanza...but you'll get'em next time. And hey -- us trout/whitefish guys just aren't cut out for catching walleye :whistling: Just make sure you get out soon and chase that skunk away :D

Then my auger was malfunctioning....crappy gas in it, lol, and to make it worse i then ruined Graham's auger too cuz he'd run out of gas, and putting the stuff i had in it pooched it too...some maintenance coming up for the auger me thinks!!

Not at the same place that fixed your sled, me thinks.

Great report, pics and videos Simon :thumbsup_anim:

Looks like fun was had by everyone considering the deep freeze temps :thumbsup_anim:

Young Ian sure had a great fight going B) too bad the swivel snapped :wallbash:

Hope the mechanical issues aren't too serious and that you are able to fix it yourself

Great job you guys and thanks for sharing

Jacques

Looked like a great fishing trip simon !!!! despite that -30 weather everyone had fun got together for a nice trip in some very scenic lakes !!! :canadian: too bad about the fish not wanting to come out & play though,oh well better luck next time,you usually do well,so im sure we will be seeing another ice fishing report from you reel soon !!!! thanks for sharing....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

And hey -- us trout/whitefish guys just aren't cut out for catching walleye :whistling: Just make sure you get out soon and chase that skunk away :D

well said....lol...only prob with that defence is i skunked on the trout and whitefish too..hehehehe

i kinda had the feeling you would not let the walleye thing slide....lol

Excellent pics and report Simon!!! :Gonefishing::canadian::thumbsup_anim:

It's always great to get together with a bunch of friends for a fishin' adventure!!!... but 'oly crap on a crustacean, that looked absolutely frigid!!! :stretcher:

I have schools of Threadfin Shad display on my depthfinder just like the Smelt did on yours.

Keep those reports comin' Bubba!!! :clapping: