ATV Fine and Penalty without plate and insurance

CRAPPIE

Guest skeeter99
Does any member got fined and penalty without plate and insurance during ice fishing in Ontario?

no have not but dont get caught without it the mnr or the police will write you up in a blink for that, seen happen quite a bit on some of the more popular lakes, and ignorance is not a defense

atv's must have plates and insurance unless strictly on private land other than that you need the latter

Edited by skeeter99

The fine is more than it costs to get insurance and a plate.

What if something happens out there and you get injured, or worse yet, injure someone else......kiss your nest egg goodbye!!!

For what its worth, just get the proper paperwork, and have atter.

Sinker

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/orv.shtml

Also note you can't carry a passenger on an ATV on the highway/road!.. heck possibly the ice !

Says $300 fine in here for contravening any section of the act. And it talks of permits and insurance.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/...tes_90o04_e.htm

I always wondered about being on the ice... not a road etc..but they get you there by stating you can only ignore these regulations if on property that you own !

Edited by irishfield

Well i have an 89 atv and my insurance company will not insure it,as its over ten year old, i have plates but no insurance, And the kicker is i only use it 2 or 3 times a year.

i have tried to find insurance but i cant justify $400.00 bucks when i only use it for icefishing in march. Also they wont insure you if you intend to drive it on the ice........lol i laughed at that one!

You can double ride on an ATV...just not on a road......now.....define a road??

A lake is for sure not a road!

Sinker

people in sudbury were getting tickets on the trail for that, unless it was the factory 2 -up seat from can-am or similar but the backrack you strap down wouldn't qualify for 2up seating?

You can double ride on an ATV...just not on a road......now.....define a road??

A lake is for sure not a road!

Sinker

Unless I'm completely wrong on this one, I'm sure the regulations have NOT been amended to ride double unless on private property. It's a thorn for the ATV'ers, sometimes the fuzz turns a blind eye(don't know which direction), but you get caught, pay the piper. The rules are there for everyone to read and heed, ignornace is only for les ignorantes.

An atv can only be operated on a highway if the municipality passes a bylaw allowing it. Then you have to have a plate ownership insurance drivers licence a helmet, and no passengers.

Here is the definition of a highway according to the highway traffic act: “highway”, includes a common and public highway, street, avenue, parkway, driveway, square, place, bridge, viaduct or trestle, any part of which is intended for or used by the general public for the passage of vehicles and includes the area between the lateral property lines thereof; (“route”)

Driving on the ice you would fall under the off road vehicles act and you need a helmet, ownership, and insurance.

There is nothing in the Off road vehicle act that says you are not allowed to have passengers.

Here's a link to the fines for the off road vehicles act. FINES

Edited by Pinch

I could be wrong too Fisherman.....but I understand it the same as Pinch.

I know on a trail system, no passengers, on a road......no passengers......on the lake......go for it.......as far as I can read into it anyways.

I don't have an ATV, but I deal with them all day long when the snow is gone.

Sinker

An atv can only be operated on a highway if the municipality passes a bylaw allowing it. Then you have to have a plate ownership insurance drivers licence a helmet, and no passengers.

There is nothing in the Off road vehicle act that says you are not allowed to have passengers.

Here's a link to the fines for the off road vehicles act. FINES

Yes you are correct that there's nothing in the ORV Act about carrying passengers, it's in the bowels of some damm regulation I can't find at the moment. However, Reg 316 outlines that Trappers and Emergency workers can carry passengers in the line of their work or duty, it doesn't cover the rest of us. Trusty me, I read the blasted thing and unless it;'s been amended, you can't ride double. It's a big sticky point with ATVers, you buy a machine with a double seat but can't use it. Anyway, unless you're riding like you're on a double dose of nut juice, most should be okay.

I currently have my boat insured and would not have it any other way! With all the yahoos ripping around on the lakes with jet skis, seadoos and 5million horsepower bass boats, I would not want to risk the 20k I spent on my boat! I also have an ATV, it too is fully insured. Same theory applies here! Drunk Snowmobilers and ATV riders are abundant. I know most here would not approve of such behaviour, but its common. I want my property protected. Having said this, I think this crap about the cops giving you fines for having someone on the back is just Bull. Another cash grab for the governement is all it ever will be! Bag men for the gov thats all you can call it!

Ab

Edited by Abraxus