What does salt do?

MCTFisher9120

Most if not all soft plastics that are coming out now are heavily salted. Now once you get your bait all rigged up and chuck it out into the water lot's, if not all of the salt comes off the bait. So what is the point? Why is salt used? Does salt help to preserve the baits? I am thinking on emptying many of my zip lock bags of soft plastics into a nice new organised Plano container...Now i also have baits that originally had lot's of salt on them but with use of them, all of the salt has come off. Should i apply a bit of table salt to them, or should I leave them as they are?

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Blood is salty so that taste is often given as a reason for using salt in the plastic. Salt also reduces the buoyancy of the plastic and makes the bait heavier. The original Senko has a very high salt content and was designed to weigh 3/8 of an ounce. That weight is important because it allows the "good-old boys" down south, who don't use spinning gear, to cast them with their bait-casters, without using a sinker.

The loose salt in the bags of some brands is only window dressing in my opinion.

The Senko's are known to tear easily. I believe that this is because of the high salt content. They were designed to be just slightly heavier than water, that slow fall is what makes them so deadly.

Garry2R's

Edited by garry2rs

I agree with the poster who said the salt in the bag is window dressing...it's there to catch fishermen, not fish. That said, I'd leave any scented/impregnated baits in the bag they came in, or something else you can keep air tight. I wouldn't consider the inside of most tackle trays to be air tight. I like to try to squeeze most of the air out of the bags my baits are in before I seal them up too.

Good plastic bait is kind of expensive, I try to take good care of it. The space the bags take up are worth it in my opinion.

Aren't alot of the baits impregnated with salt, not just covered?

Probably most these days, at least the ones designed for bass. Also not out of the ordinary for me to spray on some garlic pam and add a little more slat in the bag.

Some tear more easily than other an some days it seems like the fish are more aggressive with their strikes and beat them up, tear them to pieces. With a bigger worm or lizard I just break the beat up part of the head off to make sure there is enough solid plastic for a good hook hold.

Bit off tails and I trash them. Don`t leave hooks in them when not in use.

Hey brother,

IMO - Powerbaits, Senko's etc. can be organized neatly into trays.

Gulp, the packaged version and buckets obviously have to stay in their respective packages or they dry out and wither up.

If you're concerned about separating "lightly used" baits from new ones, and still having them scented when you use them again, just keep a tray for your lightly used baits, and pick yourself up one of those gulp spray scent containers, give your lightly used powerbait a squirt and you're good as new....AND you'll save yourself a few bucks by not tossing the bait away after 1 use.

cheers,

UF

I would tend to say leave them in their original packaging and squeeze all the air out before you seal it. I'm also hesitant to put a used soft plastic back into a bag of new ones. Usually what I'll do is keep one of the old empty bags to fill with a random assortment of "2nd hand" ones.

If you are just trying to become more organized, head over to a princess auto and try to pick up one of those worm binders that was posted on here a few months ago. I think it was $4.99. Most PA's are sold out, but they can easily get one (or two) sent to your local store, or directly to you. My brother is in charge of orders at PA in Kingston and I went in and asked him about it and he was going to order me a few from one of the stores in the states.

if you want to see what happens to the salt on the bait, take one and dunk it in a clear glass of water. The salt is gone when you pull it out. I think it's there to show you that it is a bait with Salt unlike the Gulp bait with sent. I have all my salt bait's in a plano case and I'm never worried about a used bait being in with the new.

Have you see the soft bait tip on WFN? The one about keeping the old broken bits to reuse as sometimes the 1/2 senko works better then the full size. They also mention that it's ok to put bait back in the bag to recharge off each other.

if you want to see what happens to the salt on the bait, take one and dunk it in a clear glass of water. The salt is gone when you pull it out. I think it's there to show you that it is a bait with Salt unlike the Gulp bait with sent. I have all my salt bait's in a plano case and I'm never worried about a used bait being in with the new.

Have you see the soft bait tip on WFN? The one about keeping the old broken bits to reuse as sometimes the 1/2 senko works better then the full size. They also mention that it's ok to put bait back in the bag to recharge off each other.

just just just seen it! lol like they say some fish dont want a big meal and turn down the full size one's, but gobble up the half pc's..huh news to me too..

remember, colours bleed into each other so those pink/orange (looks like 4" in your pic's) and the silver dingers MAY blend a bit (ie the silver ones turn orange/pink in spots where they touch). Keep the patterns the same and you will be fine even if that means you need to get another case... Those green/pumpkin ones you have (in slot 2 on the top) I like best so far... ;)

I use one brand, one color,so I just keep the bag in my pocket.LOL

Nice collection you got there.

As for the bleeding.I think if they do,you just may hit the right combo color one day.

I have seen reports where guys will lay thier worms over each other, so the colors bleed together,just to see what comes of them.Yes that just didnt sound right.

Yes that just didnt sound right.

But you are from Barrie so that does fit... ;):D

I'm not saying don't mix no matter what BUT be warned that if you do mix; the colour will not be what you can buy fresh out of the bag so to say... ;)

Heck, I hope mine blend/bleed into the next HOT match to be the one everyone want's to buy... :D

salt impregnating adds density to the bait making it easier to cast long distances and sink. Without salt in the bait, plastic is fairly bouyant. Also, as mentioned that blood taste is the deal. They hang on longer than non impregated baits for sure. Any non-impregnated bait I use gets doused with scent....craw, shad or garlic. Tubes often get filled with scented gel too (works on steelies too) if I'm fishing deep offshore structure or open flats. I keep pre scented baits like the 3x zero's in the bag so my compartments in the boat don't smell like a pizza oven when I open them, but all my salted baits go in the plano boxes. I agree with the color bleed, "you gotta keep em separated"....I don't have pics of my baits simply because, there are WAY too many....you people will think I'm sick!....and you would be correct!!. I took my boat out for a rip in fall with a buddy but without my fishing gear and got another 6 miles per hour out of her on the GPS.

RR

3X plastics and regular salted plastics do not mix! I remember seeing a demonstration and the 3X stuff started a chemical reaction with the regular plastic.

I put all my salted plastics in trays as it just makes it easier to keep track of the colours and styles and also makes it easy to keep inventory and know when I am low in a particular colour/style.

Charles

But you are from Barrie so that does fit...

Team 6 sux.LOL

I am seroius about the bleeding thing. I have read and seen pics of the results of this.Never know.

Paul yes I have heard the same thing. The baits will eat through the older plastic boxes,even tackle box,es.

I remember those times. What a frigg,n mess.Nothing worse then having a bunch of plastics.rubber baits laying over you fav spinner baits.

Team 6 sux.LOL

HAHAHA, maybe that should be part on the name? Team 6 gets the bait SUCKED into the LUNKERS... ;)

Now Charles has me wanting to do a science test on 3x baits mixed with salt baits to see what happens... :D