Plane crash

misfish

You really have to wonder how; with no power, all those boats using the river, and at such a low altitude, that pilot managed to turn that plane and land it under control without hitting any boats and with no loss of life? Man it just boggles the mind! I guess the lesson here is: No matter how bad things seem don't ever give up!

I just watched an hour of the videos and different perspectives and I'm still teared up from gratitude to the pilots, the crew and all of the rescue people involved. The whole thing was just surreal. Nevermind the forced landing, just stepping off the plane in those temperatures could kill you. Lots to be thankful for tonight for sure.

Unbelievable....

Some good stuff for sure Roy... but I gotta turn it off. Can't handle anymore of the sensationalism !

Pilot did a great job of bringing her around and taking the best pick that he had for a landing spot. Something that goes thru a pilots mind (consciously or subconsciously) at least once a minute... or at least it should. He got one shot at it and getting it right the first time... PRICELESS !

Edited by irishfield

incredible!

with the speeds these airliners fly at i can't imagine how difficult putting that plane down in the water with such minimal damage was. i occasionally go to/through laguardia, fly AA, could have easily been me on that plane.

Edited by Raf

You got that right Raf. Normal landing speed for the A320 is 150 Knots on short final approach. Take off rotation speed under full power is 130 knots. Absolute minimum to float that sucker along in ground (water) effect above the water would most likely be 110 knots (~127MPH). (I have 4 hours in the air and 5 hours simulator in an A320....Thanks to Skyservice and Air Canada respectively).

I wish someone had of got the landing on video... as I suspect that the flare angle was perfect and it slide along on the engine nacels and the tail for a bit before breaking the water surface... it had to or there would have been a different outcome IMHO.