Last week's hardwater

johnnyb

So, real short and sweet, here’s a quick rundown of our ice fishing exploits this year. We started out a bit rough for the Scugog opener, but got into the swing of things with some decent laker action in Muskoka. Correction: My lovely wife says she did just fine on Scugog, and was par for the course in Muskoka.

So here’s all the gory details:

Jan. 1st on Scugog…carefully walking out on about 6-8 inches of decent ice. Jessy is loving the new ice cleats Santa brought her

n595006200_2317810_7592.jpg

Jessy was sure that our old dome tent would work as a shelter on the ice. After anchoring it down, it was pretty warm in there…warm enough for this OOS smallie to show up. A quick pic, and back down the hole…see you in the summer!

n595006200_2317812_8229.jpg

By the time it was getting dark, we figured out why everyone waited until later to come out on the ice. This little walleye was a welcome site after a quiet day on the ice. It is also another notch on Jessy’s ice-rod that she can claim over me….one day I’ll ice a walleye….one day… :wallbash:

n595006200_2317813_8531.jpg

So that was Scuogog…two fish. Oh, no, wait a second…I caught a rock bass! Yay me…I was a bit too annoyed to take a pic though. <_< Moving on to better things, the lure of lake trout up in Muskoka was too much for us to bear. We packed up and left town after work on Saturday, and, after putting in a call to Bait on the Lake, got even better news that Lake Rosseau has safe ice. We were the first ones at the particular spot we tried, so it was a slow, careful walk, with lots of holes drilled to sample the ice on the way. Started out with 6, and got down to 4 inches by the time we found our spot…and even found 2 inches, so we made sure to stay away from that spot. :ph34r:

The old standby white tube jigs were working hard for a few hours, to no avail. After a while, I heard my blue and silver kastmaster saying “put me in coach, I’m ready”. Am I ever glad I listened, because the spoon didn’t even make it to the bottom before this guy picked it up on a shoal in about 30 FOW :thumbsup_anim:

n595006200_2317803_6763.jpg

Jessy, or, “Laker Jessy” as she likes to be known at times, was also using a tube jig, unsuccessfully. She was also using her new AquaVu that, once again, Santa got her. That Santa is one smooth operator! :whistling: I gave her a blue and silver Krocodile spoon, and she immediately had trout on the screen…and then…on the end of her line! :clapping:

n595006200_2317804_7062.jpg

She made me wait to take this pic until she took her extra (by extra, I mean THIRD) coat off…the silly thing thought it made her look fat. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

n595006200_2317807_7643.jpg

Once Laker Jess gets the trout dialed in, they usually keep coming….she was good for another.

n595006200_2317808_7943.jpg

I added one more for the day….it was nice to keep pace with her for a change… :whistling:

n595006200_2317809_8261.jpg

So that’s about it…looking forward to a bunch more outings… but first we have some fish to fry!

:Gonefishing:

Great stuff Johnny and 'Laker Jess".

Come on JB...get that walleye...the suspense is killing me!

My wife also outfishes me regularly...especially when gong for walleye...she does this thing where she holds the line wit her thumb and index finger, with the rod in the rod rest...lol..."Laker jess' and my wife...."The walter Whisperer"

When you gonna get yur walleyeless butt up here dude?

Great report and pics johnnyb :thumbsup_anim:

Looks like you guys had a fun time out there :thumbsup_anim:

Congratulations to both of you on those fine catches :clapping:

and I know the feeling about not catching eyes.... have the same dilemma :wallbash:

.... but it's just a matter of time :lol:

thanks for sharing

Leechman

GCD -- I kept up on the lakers... :rolleyes:

Joonmon -- tell me about it! The trick is to tell people I'm the guide when she's out of earshot :unsure:

Steve_Paul -- I read you loud and clear :blush:

Leechman -- we're all in this together...just keep your tip-up on the ice....we'll be feasting on delicious filets d'or pretty soon! :D