New Years Resolution....(NF)

Gerritt

I am sick and friggen tired of smoking.. I am smoking just for the sake of smoking... I know what my triggers are and I think I can disassociate them.... I NEED to get off these demon sticks.. They make me sick...

Now... I plan on doing this cold turkey... no gums no pills or patches...

But I understand there is a good book out there... anyone know the name and the author??

I hope those of you out there making resolutions are able to fulfil them!!

Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Years!!

Gerritt.

Go for it Gerritt :thumbsup_anim: ....I quit cold turkey 9yrs ago and haven't looked back!!!....I remember buying a pack of smokes on New Year's Eve day, because I didn't think that I'd have enough to last me until the big day of Jan 1st....I actually quit on New Year's Eve for some reason and ended up throwing the unopened pack into the fireplace....!!!

Good luck and hopefully you'll be one of the guys looking for non-smokers to share a room with at the G2Gs in 2009 :clapping:

i quit smoking almost 4 years ago. It isnt easy but truely there is no better feeling then finely being smoke free. To control the cravings you have to keep yourself busy. After the first few weeks the cravings only last a couple minutes so it gets easier. I havent had a craving in 3 years now.

Good luck and you can do it!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!

I will have to agree with you, booze and coffee is a big one for me as well, I quit cold turkey for 2 years fell off the wagon and quit again so far so good but when it comes to a night drinking with the guys, I fall off the wagon and almost always smoke at least 3 cigarettes, its sad but its an addiction so hold in there, because it is possible. I have to just over come my demon once and for all.

OH thats going to be tuff Gerritt but I know you can do it.

G2G's will never be the same what are you going to tell all your other buddies in the smoke infested cottage.

You won't be part of the gang anymore.HH won't accept you anymore :w00t::lol:

Smokeless poker games :stretcher:

If anything do it for young Liam.

Stick to it and be strong.

:canadian:

Gerritt,

If your going to do it do it now,don't hesitate......Carry around a bag of baby carrots with ya and munch away. I went through it myself and then with my wife and we did it cold turkey. Its all about preocupying you brain when the urges come. If you gain weight,no problem. Work on that part afterwards but first things first,get off the butts....

Getterdone !!!!

Here's something fer ya ta read ya big baby..

Smoking & tobacco

Quitting smoking

sectionbox_top.gif

sectionbox_header_e.gif

sectionbox_bottom.gif

How to quit

Quitting smoking may be one of the hardest things you'll ever do. But it gets easier with practice. Research shows that every time you try to quit, you boost your chances of quitting for good. Your chance of success is even higher if you combine quit methods like counselling, nicotine replacement ("the patch") or other medications.

Quitting smoking is a process that requires careful planning, courage, discipline, and commitment. You can succeed by following this advice:

Four steps to quitting smoking

1. Pick a quit day Choose a date within the next two or three weeks to quit. Having a deadline makes it easier to plan how you will handle the people, places and situations that make you want to smoke. Try to choose a time that is not particularly stressful. But don't wait forever for the "perfect" day - pick a quit date now and work with it.
  2. Chosen one or more proven quit-smoking methods Your chances of success are greater if you combine quit methods like counselling, self-help guides, the patch and other medicines. Learn more about methods to help you quit smoking. Choose the methods that will work best for you. It also helps to:

[*]Work your plan

• It's your quit date. Be firm that you won't smoke.
  • Review your plan often. Knowing how you're going to handle the urge to smoke will help you better cope with cravings
  • Avoid those people and situations where you will be tempted to smoke
  • Go for a walk instead of a smoke.
  • Find a hobby that keeps your hands and mind busy
  • Clean your teeth, your clothes, your house of that stale tobacco smell
  • Be positive. You are choosing to be smoke-free

[*]Celebrate your success

• Believe in yourself and your plan
  • Understand that it takes time to re-learn smoke-free habits
  • Remember, that quitting is a process, not an event
  • Though your recovery begins within hours of your last smoke, it takes at least three weeks to make a new habit. Don't be discouraged if you slip. It's part of the process. You are not a failure. Review your plan and ask yourself how you can do it differently next time.
  • Reward yourself

Proven quit smoking methods

Most people who quit smoking use a combination of quit methods. Research shows people are more likely to succeed in quitting smoking if they combine several supports<a href="http://www.lung.ca/protect-protegez/tobacco-tabagisme/quitting-cesser/how-comment_e.php#f1">1.

For example, you can join a support group, and also have some gum or patches on hand to overcome cravings. You will need to find the combination of supports that works best for you.

Here are some of the most common quit methods:

Support groups/counselling

Most people find it helpful to join a support group, get counselling or read self-help books. This type of support will help you understand what to expect and better cope with withdrawal symptoms. Contact your provincial Lung Association to find out more about support groups and programs offered in your community.

Nicotine replacement therapies

Nicotine replacement therapies come in many different forms: skin patches, gum, sprays and inhalers. They have small amounts of nicotine in them and can help take the edge of cravings. These products work by slowly reducing the amount of nicotine delivered to your body to help you handle withdrawal symptoms more easily. Research shows these are effective in helping people to quit smoking, especially when combined with counselling or self-help.

More about nicotine replacement therapies

Antidepressant drugs

Bupropion SR (Zyban) is a prescription antidepressant drug that can reduce the urge to smoke in some people. It's most effective in helping people quit when it's combined with other quit methods like counselling.

More about medication to help you quit smoking

Unproven methods to quit smoking

Acupuncture and related therapies: Acupuncture is based on traditional Chinese healing. It uses needles to stimulate energy points in the body. Acupuncture is promoted as a way to reduce cravings and withdrawal symptoms in people who quit smoking. Some related therapies that have also been used as quit smoking aids are:

• Acupressure
  • Electrostimulation
  • Laser therapy

There is not enough evidence to recommend these therapies to quit smoking2. More studies are needed before we can say if acupunture or related treatments help people quit smoking.3. It's best to check with your doctor before spending money on these therapies.

Hypnosis: Hypnosis or hypnotherapy is often promoted as a way to help people stop smoking. There are different types of hypnotherapies - some are meant to lessen the desire to smoke and others aim to increase the will to quit.

There is no evidence to show that hypnotherapy works as a treatment for helping people quit smoking4.

Nicotine withdrawal

Withdrawal is your body's response to being without the drug nicotine. Everyone who quits smoking should expect some withdrawal symptoms.

Common withdrawal symptoms:

• Craving for a cigarette
  • Feeling tired
  • Cough
  • Gas/stomach pain
  • Hunger
  • Headache
  • Feeling irritable (bad mood)
  • Trouble concentrating

Symptoms of withdrawal and how long they last are different for everyone. In general, symptoms begin within hours of stopping smoking and can be worse in the evening. Symptoms tend to decrease over the first 4-5 days. Some people have stronger symptoms than others.

Been 8 weeks for me now. Quit cold turkey- nothing other than a solid determination to quit. Big cravings have now gone. And no more weird dreams about smoking (you were right on with that Daplumma). Was at our Christmas party last night and admit it was tempting but didn't do it.

When I quit I was away from normal routine for a week at the hunt camp. Then a week of normal routine and back to the hunt camp for another week. It's a habit, a really bad one too, so a different routine really helped me. Drink your morning coffee at a different time or better yet change to orange juice. Take a lunch with good things to eat in it. Carrot sticks are a good idea. Do different things than what you normally do, like maybe visit the library or build something or go for a walk (you get what I mean).

Support from friends (including here) and family are critical, really listen to them and what they are trying to tell you. They tell you these things because they care and do not want to see you continue something that is hurting you.

Create yourself a definitive mindset. I AM GOING TO BEAT THIS!! And stick with it man! DO IT !

Am I ever happy to see this post from you G ! :D

Don't wait do it now!

If you are serious ... I mean really .. had enough serious ... butt the smoke thats in your hand right now out .... and put your lighter in your breast pocket as a reminder of your one-time habit. (I still have my bowl of matches and lighters right beside the dining room table) ... and 10 packs of smokes on the stove ... trophy's and reminders of my past ... I dont hate smoking .. I am just finished with it ...

Pull that lighter out ... play with it... and reminisce whenever you need to ... but thats the end of it... and by the way Congratulations !!!! Here's to a long healthy and happy life.

otherwise .. I wish you the best of luck...

Edited by camillj

ahh you can do it, i did it cold turkey however i had to quit tim hortons at the same time at least for a mth or 2 , the first wk was hell,2nd was worse,3rd was better , i had major headaches went to the dr and she said was prob from coffee withdrawls more than the nicotine......ITS ALL IN YOUR HEAD if you want to quit than you will quit...oh lots of hot showers worked for me maybe 3-4 a day! lol good luck

Gerritt, I wish you the best of luck in quitting smoking. I quit on Jan 22 08 so I am coming up to a year. We are here for you as was everyone when I quit. Go for it, you will not regret it. I still have to buy a gift to myself for quitting but I will wait for the Muskie Odessey to but a new reel.

Gerritt

I quit, cold turkey 10 years ago and it was very tough but I managed.

One thing that helped me believe it or not was Extra Strength Fisherman's Friend lozenges.

I don't know why but the feeling when you breathe in seemed to get rid of the cravings. Pretty wierd huh??

I had my last smoke on January 10th 1999, so I will be nicotene free for ten years in a few weeks. :thumbsup_anim:

Now if I could only get rid of the extra 100 pounds I gained since I quit!!!!! :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

One more thing, food and beer taste much better and you can smell again. Plus you find out how repulsive smoking makes you smell when you are not smoking any more. When someone who smokes walks by you after you have been off smokes for a while it smells like a dirty old ashtray walking by!!! upck.gifupck.gifupck.gif

Edited by DRIFTER_016