What was everyone's "Catch Of The Year"?

profisher25

Personally i'd have to say my PB laker in algonquin with my dad this spring.

AlgqnMay2008066.jpg

But the most memerable fish of the year wasn't mine. I had a few really good "guide moments" this summer, but this one takes the cake.

The guy i was guiding, Tom, flew in under marginal conditions halfway through the day and we fished a little for pike but ended up putting the hurt on some walleye that afternoon. The front was making the pike uncooperative. The next day, we were out for 11 hours straight. ticked down rain the ENTIRE time and it lightened up enough for me to pull off a shore lunch at about 1pm. Tom is an amazing guy, super relaxed personality and had faith in my ability to find fish from the get go. A true joy to guide. More like fishing with a friend then taking a guest out. The next day we fished hard all day but the big pike were moving off the creek mouths looking for weedbeds, and the weather which moved through still had them pouting.

Near the end of the day we pulled into Edgar bay as the weather cleared and fished the creek mouth landing a few snot-rockets. We hadn't seen much over 30 inches all day. Our last stop for the day was to see if a cabbage bed was out yet, and it was just reaching the surface. I pulled out the anchor and Tom started pounding the water with his buzz bait and spoon despite his back complaining about casting all day. Our second pass of the weed bed was much the same but we managed one lazy but descent swirl at a cabbage clump near the end of the drift. The thrid time over the weedbed he said "let's call it quites soon" so we got to that last clump, he fan casted the area and NOTHING.

I felt if there was going to be a big fish here she was gonna be in that patch where we had seen the descent swirl earlier. Looked like the perfect ambush spot for a big girl. I told him as much, and he loves the buzz baits for pike as much as i do, so he put on one of his custom made black buzzers and went to firing away. I had the anchor out so he could really pound the area.

A short while later he sat down and did some casting from his seat due to his sore back. His lure landed in that same spot mid-cabbage patch every cast, a dozen times. (Yes i was counting) On the 13th cast the buzzbait went all of 4 feet when it was slurped under a big swirl. He set that hook with his whole body and teh fight was on.

The fish took off like it was just unleashed from the gates of hell. I had the anchor out in no time. The 43 inch she-wolf was under the boat and all over the place. I spent my time leaning on the push pole to get us out into deeper water away from the weeds when i wasn't trying to keep his line off the splash guard. After some of the best runs i saw from a northern all year, i got her into the net. For the next 5 minutes i dont think there were 2 happier guys in the country. Hand shakes and adrenalien pumping to beat the band. 2 and half days of hard fishing, but by GOD she was worth every minute of it.

I dont think i'll ever forget those days, that fish, or his grin. That feeling is why i love to guide, and that's why this is my most memorable fish of the year.

-Dave

canonpics198.jpg

I dont think i'll ever forget those days, that fish, or his grin. That feeling is why i love to guide, and that's why this is my most memorable fish of the year.

-Dave

canonpics198.jpg

for sure man.....thats why i loved my job....seein the grin on their face after they catch a big fish...awesome! and that is a big jack!

Hawk

Definitely my muskie, nothing big and the pic didn't turn out very good, but man no fish has put a smile on my face like that fish.

Also got into some nice brookies, along with the Halloween brown I pulled out of a Lake O trib a month or so ago.

My first fish on a pin was also a highlight!!

As bad as I hate to admit it, mine was this Smallmouth Buffalo Carp :rolleyes:

DSC01332.jpg

Caught while Crappie fishin on an itty bitty minnow and light wire #6 hook. It was quite the battle getting this brute to the boat, had to chase him all over the lake before he would give up.

Not that prestigious of a fish... but he was Big, Mean, Ugly, and Nasty (the same way I like my wimmins!) ;)

... not as big as the Buffalo, but this landlocked Striped Bass put a heckuva smile on my face too!

DSC01488.jpg

Edited by GCD

The 2008 Season was a fantastic one for me. I didn't do well on the PB front but had a great time fishing with my family and friends for fun. Although I didn't do well in my tournaments this year, I made it thru successfully, with a smile and learned a lot.

My most memorable fish was the blue pike (around 8 lbs) I caught in the Bay of Quinte......I'll never forget that fish. I caught it during the QFS Bass Tourney but unfortunatley, didn't take a picture.

In it's mouth, it looked like it ate a ton of blue berries....it was the first time I had seen one and it was definitely a pike and not the walleye type that I've seen.

Cheers and all the best!

Paul

I had a banner year for Brook Trout. Thanks to new regulations that were put in place a few years back, I caught a record number (for me) of 23"+ Brookies. It's hard to pick out which one stood out most, but this one, netted and photographed by Irishfield, ranks right up there.

mooseandirish7.jpg

This was only my second year of hardcore fishing.. it was an up and down year, but I managed some new personal bests..

27" Walleye caught at dusk up around North Bay this summer

walleye27.jpg

17" Hog of a Smallmouth Bass that was caught around North Bay this summer

smbass08.jpg

27" Steelhead that I caught this spring just after opener chucking small spinners in a local Lake Ontario trib

Steelhead16.jpg

and probably some of the most fun I had all summer was fishing for Bullhead at my buddies cottage on Georgian Bay.. I've never fished for Bullhead before, but they were an absolute blast.. we set up a few chairs, brought down a few beers to the dock, had about 10 cigarettes, and pulled the Bullhead up all night long.. this was in August, and from about 11pm to 3am, we must have pulled about 10-12 of them from off the dock.. it was an absolute blast!

bullhead08.jpg

God, I can't wait for next year!

For me, nothing big but plenty of them... and the ones that stands out are the following:

Hard water - 18" Walleye

IMG_0008.jpg

Pike - No measurements on that one

IMG_0018.jpg

13" Crappie

FishFinderCombo2.jpg

17" SMB

IMG_0621.jpg

Softwater - 5Lbs Channel Cat

i237876900_5465_2.jpg

4Lbs+ LMB

i241143392_29072_2b.jpg

27" Pike

IMGP1642.jpg

Leechman

I didn't get out as much as I wanted this year but when I did, I managed to have some great outings....

Here's my PB Laker caught towards the end of July...

20080720_0003.jpg

And here's the biggest Muskie of the season...close to my PB but not quite!!

20081026_0005-1.jpg

And the most memorable fish and outing was when I was able to get Whitespinnerbait (Paul) into his first Muskie :thumbsup_anim:

MuskyLakejuly13th2008004.jpg

A great big beautiful smallmouth I caught on the Thames one morning with no witnesses, no camera and no way to properly measure it as I was standing in water up to my bellybutton. It's likely no one will ever believe me but I got the memory all the same. It was an exciting fish to catch.

JF

I think my highlight of the year was my very first muskie. I unfortunately didn't do as much fishing as expected this year, but the muskie was a real treat for me. I think though that 09 is going to be my best fishing year for me, and i plan on hitting some new lakes, catching some new fish, and land that big trophy as well. those are my main goals for 09 fishing. :)

A great big beautiful smallmouth I caught on the Thames one morning with no witnesses, no camera and no way to properly measure it as I was standing in water up to my bellybutton. It's likely no one will ever believe me but I got the memory all the same. It was an exciting fish to catch.

JF

I believe you :whistling:

Everyones been in that position.

I'll bet that if you had a camera and witnesses it may not have been caught.

Just happens like that sometimes.

It was meant for private viewing, that's all.

I had a S-L-O-W year :dunno:

Not much time on the water between Moving early in the year, watching the 2 kids, and the birth of My Son in July....Ya I was swamped LOL!

But I had a Great trip to Algonquin for the opener...Caught a Wack of Fish

The Last day My Youngest Brother and I kept a nice Stringer of 3 beautifull Algonquin Specks

gallery_338_476_136732.jpg

This Picture just says "postcard" to me :Gonefishing:

med_gallery_338_476_105802.jpg

Cheers,