Extremely Large, Old Fish

solopaddler

I'm not trying to stir the pot here, just curious as to what others feel.

The recent potential record musky that was released got me thinking...

What I'd like to know from those who're more of an authority than me, what does a fish that size and age provide for the fishery?

I would assume that such a fish is long past it's spawning prime and is likely a fishy version of a senior citizen. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Because if I'm wrong then I'll have to re-think my stance on the issue...

I completely understand the catch and release mind set, and respect for the fish.

I'm just not so sure that if I was faced with the same choice I wouldn't kill the fish, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

A potential record fish would bound to be a fairly substantial financial windfall for whoever caught it, no?

Can't speak for anyone else but myself, but for me my family comes first.

Hats off to Dale, I know what he did.

What would you do?

Good Question. I'm also curious and wonder exactly how much of a financial windfall it would be? Would it be money from sponsors? Who would pay this money and would it be worth killing the fish for? :dunno:

Enquiring minds want to know. :lol:

Joey

Edited by Joey

well a world record bass would be worth millions of bucks to the right person, if he was willing to work it

other fish, if you speak well and are photogenic and like to do fishing shows and seminars , you could work it into a living for a few years or so

I was trying to think of a reason how a trophy like that could impact the ecosystem if it wasnt released but I cant think of a good one(Im no scientist). I think the best reason might be for shear respect. Not just any fish lives to become trophy size. Letting it go after a few pix to let it live out the rest of its life just seems like the right thing to do. Just my opinion.

I'm also curious to know more about this.

With regard to Dale's fish, judging by the pictures I can't help but think that it was as healthy as a muskie could be.... huge, fat, clean... and obviously a skilled hunter. But does she still contribute to the gene pool?

Lac Seul is C&R only for all muskies so it is unlikely that I'll ever have to make that choice.

Having never actually faced the decision with a WR I cant say, but I do know that I have caught several (three come to mind) trophys that many would be proud to hang on the wall and all three went back in.

I would never eat a fish of that size, and it would cost a fortune to have to mounted etc etc, so why kill it?

Of course if it was a WR bass, my greed might give in.

Slice and dice baby! :w00t:

haha just kiddin'.... It all depends on the fish and the situation.

First off I don't see myself catching a world record anytime soon but if I caught a world record bluegill it'd be off to the scale and soon after to the frying pan - if it were a Lake Erie Smallmouth and I was POSITIVE it was a record breaking fish, no doubt in my mind I'd keep it in a heartbeat. My keeping a world record smallmouth bass from Lake Erie will have ZERO impact on the fishery.

On the other hand if it were a musky or another species of fish that wasn't exactly "thriving" I'd be more than happy to take a few measurements and do a quick release.

I could be wrong but personally I don't believe there's any money in catching a "world record" unless you live in the USA, the fish you caught was a Bass, and you're already a pro angler.

just my opinion though.

As far as providing anything for the fishery, i believe that area has been hit hard by VHS, and so the release of any healthy musky back into the spawning population is good to see.

It's nice that a fish can be recognized as a trophy without having to be hung on the wall.... Had he chosen to keep the fish it would be understandable but I really respect this guy for releasing a potential record fish, likely knowing the criticism he may face by some, and not worrying what others would think.

I think the best thing is that this may encourage future musky anglers to release large fish.

Edited by timmeh

if it were a Lake Erie Smallmouth and I was POSITIVE it was a record breaking fish, no doubt in my mind I'd keep it in a heartbeat. My keeping a world record smallmouth bass from Lake Erie will have ZERO impact on the fishery.

Still think Simcoe will be the first to produce one though. :whistling:

And yes, I would keep it aswell.

Great questions. I often wonder whether those truly huge and very old fish are reproducing. I greatly respect the anglers choice to put it back but will have to admit that I don't know if I would be able to. A friend caught an enormous one a few years back (I was lucky enough to net it) and without any hesitation he decided to let her go. I also admired his choice. There is some debate as to whether fish that rival the current world record do or ever did exist. Dale's fish, and some others caught recently are helping to prove they are out there. :Gonefishing:

Still think Simcoe will be the first to produce one though. :whistling:

Not to jack the thread but Simcoe's population is a limited population not an over expanding one IMO and the opinion of lots of others who fish it.....Erie is where that toad is going to come from....then again there are some inland res's that have warm water plumes in teh winter that could potentially do it too sorry for the jack

a fish like that is most likely in the range of 30-35 years old,,that's what i was told by a taxidermist when I got my 52 incher mounted.

for the body of water it was caught from has a healthy population so I justified my own choice on keeping my one and only trophy. :Gonefishing:

not ashamed to say i would keep a WR fish in a heartbeat, not so much for the $ but simply for the ability to say holy look what i caught,

selfish? maybe, to each his own

i respect those who are strictly c&r, i'm not, and deserve to be respected just the same

a "trophy" on the other hand is something different,a trophy can be different for different ppl, and doesn't just have to be size,, i've released quite a few nice fish that some ppl might consider trophies, and been yelled at and called a fool for doing so, they simply weren't "trophies" for me at that time, that said i have no problem telling folks i keep alot of fish and rarely do i go out that i not keep any for a snack or meal,

i've yet to have a fish mounted as i have ideal parameters of which i would like to meet for that, and yes, i've seen beautiful replicas but i would rather the real thing if i ever get one done,

i used to be a cabinetmaker by trade but is now only a hobby, ive always wanted to put 2-3 decent walleye in a oak/glass coffee table, not monsters but 3-4-5lbs. would be nice,

also to put a few small perch into an oak/glass lamp,

Well, what did Paul Henderson's goal do for Canadian Hockey?

I am not saying that a WR Muskie is on the same scale. Pride in the fishery and environment, investment in the fishery, tourism. Then again there are those with the monkey paw theory.

These guys would certainly love it: http://www.worldrecordmuskiealliance.com/

If the individual was a good angler they would get to be on a few fishing shows for sure! The guy who made the lure would do OK too.

forrest

I'm not familiar with big, old fish getting sterile in their old age. I know the bigger the fish the more eggs they produce. But i'm not sure how long that goes on. You can't compare the repoduction in mammals to that of fish....different sytems which evolved under different pressures. Human females stop producing offspring for a reason.....evolutionarily speaking.

That said big fish make up only a small fraction of the reproductive potential of a population and the 1st couple reproductive year classes do most of reproducing for a populaiton. Then various factors take their toll and individuals are lost. A big fish like that has some very good genes to live that long, and her contribution to the gene pool, although small is all the more important in my opinion. Cause without her only her young hold the genes, and not all of them. The more offspring she produces, the more likley of another winning genetic combo being made that will produce more fish like her. The longer they live the more offspring they produce, and that means higher fitness level.

I don't like seeing these beasts being killed just cause they are trophies....no matter what species they are....whether the reg's allow it or not. In my opinion its a loss to the populaiton, and when i hear of people releaseing their monsters in good shape, it puts a little smile on my face.

I might do alittle digging to see what i can find, but i'm pretty sure fish reproduce until they die.

-Dave

Edited by Ramble On

Touchy subject ...........seems that if it is a world record fish in other species it is okay to keep it and hang it on the wall. A musky of that size would become valuable to a taxidermist that makes reproduction molds. You see in order to have a reproduction mold made there must first be a specimen of the actual size. In most cases a fish would have to die to make the mold. Once the mold is made than there are many anglers that can claim that they have caught a fish of the same size which we know is not practical. As a result of this most anglers that catch record fish get them mounted so that reproductions of the same fish do not appear everywhere in the world. A taxidermist with the world record mold will benefit from the mold making many copies for those that wish to pay. The cost of a record fish mold is a free replica to the angler that caught the fish. The angler than gets to boast that he caught a world record fish while the taxidermist will financially gain form making many copies. This is hrte reason why I recommend skin mounts of the world record fish so that copies do not get made and that you as the angler get the publicity that you wish knowingly that you have the only world record fish. The same thing happens to world record whitetail deer only copies of the antlers are made and of course those having the mold will gain financially.

Just my thoughts I would probably release the fish and work very hard on adding inches to the closest size form that is available on the market and work from that replica. I know that Advanced Taxidermy does it and I have also done that in the past, however it is a lot of work. I would not look down on someone who keeps the fish instead of releasing it after all it is a world record and most world records are kept in other species.

Best regards,

Sam