The Boys Come Home - NF

Randy

The Boys Come Home

As soon as I heard the news, I knew I had to be there this time. After all, this 3 makes it 100 now.

After work, on that cold Monday evening, I hurried home. My son arrived home at the same time. He said he’d like to come too. So we both rushed out of the house to get a good spot.

There was already a large crowd gathered on the bridge that overpasses the 401, the busiest highway in North America. It felt weird to be standing there looking at the thousands of vehicles speeding under us each minute, with their lights flashing and their horns honking. I’ve driven over this bridge a thousand times before but never stopped to have a look. Now, we were there for a different reason.

It was bitterly cold with the wind in our faces. But it made the flags fly freely and proudly.

It’s getting darker now and I was wondering if we would be able to withstand the bitter cold. Then I noticed something. The traffic in the express lanes was abating, as if someone was closing a large valve to stop the flow of traffic. Soon there was no traffic in the express lanes where, only moments earlier, thousands of vehicles were speeding to their destinations. Off in the distance I see a lone vehicle with lights flashing. It passes under our bridge at high speed. A few seconds later, a few more police cars, with lights flashing, pass under us. The time is almost here.

The long procession of vehicles made its way down the highway towards us. It was lead by 4 police cars all with their lights flashing. As the procession passed under our bridge, a solemn hush came over the crowd on the bridge. A hush of respect, gratitude and sorrow. The procession contained the bodies of Corporal Mark McLaren of Peterborough, Ontario, Warrant Officer Robert Wilson of Keswick, Ontario and Private Demetrios Diplaros of Toronto, Ontario. These brave young men were killed last week in Afghanistan and are now finally home. They paid the ultimate sacrifice in the service of their country and earned them a ride down the Highway of Heroes.

Randy I hope you don't mind. But I was there and I would like to add my post from another thread. I think it fits in.

I dove out to pay my respects today.

I live in Hamilton and work in Burlington so I had to drive through Toronto to get there. I like to think that I have a feel for the pulse or mood of the traffic. Today I did notice a difference. People were very well behaved and patient on the 401. It was like everybody knew what was coming down the highway and they would have died of shame if they were the cause of something that interfered with it.

My first glimpse of people gathered on the brigdes was at Morningside and then I saw something stuck me as very poignient. Off to the side of one of the bridges standing to the inside of an on ramp were a woman and child, a girl I think. They stood there patiently waiting by themselves for the motorcade to pass by. I was filled with emotion at that site. No parade no flags just a mother and daughter silently waiting to say thanks and pay their respects.

I kept driving until I was in Pickering and I heard over the radio that the motorcade had passed Oshawa . I pulled off on Brock road but came back west to Liverpool. I parked at a Tim Hortons and grabbed a coffee. I walked across the the street and started up the bridge . People along the way said hello. I got to where the people had gathered. A firetruck was there with lights flashing. I took up my place beside a gentleman who introduced himself and said that he had been here many times. I said I was from Hamilton . There was a young man beside and we exchanged greetings as well.

In about five minutes flashing lights were visilble under the next bridge as the motorcade drew near. As the procession got nearer the man beside me saluted. I slipped my hood off and removed my hat and held it over my heart. Everything got quiet as everone stood still and our attention was on the four funeral hearses that went by. A few more cars and then it was over. The crowd began to leave the bridge. I felt like a wieght had been lifted of of me. I was worried on my trip there that I would get caught in traffic and would not get to do what I had set out to do. A lot of things went through my head on the drive back. Feelings of sadness and pride in my fellow Canadians. I never thought that in my lifetime someone would lay down their life for me. And these soldiers had. They had stood for me and my country and I was glad to have stood for them just for a tiny bit.

Randy I hope you don't mind. But I was there and I would like to add my post from another thread. I think it fits in.

I dove out to pay my respects today.

I live in Hamilton and work in Burlington so I had to drive through Toronto to get there. I like to think that I have a feel for the pulse or mood of the traffic. Today I did notice a difference. People were very well behaved and patient on the 401. It was like everybody knew what was coming down the highway and they would have died of shame if they were the cause of something that interfered with it.

My first glimpse of people gathered on the brigdes was at Morningside and then I saw something stuck me as very poignient. Off to the side of one of the bridges standing to the inside of an on ramp were a woman and child, a girl I think. They stood there patiently waiting by themselves for the motorcade to pass by. I was filled with emotion at that site. No parade no flags just a mother and daughter silently waiting to say thanks and pay their respects.

I kept driving until I was in Pickering and I heard over the radio that the motorcade had passed Oshawa . I pulled off on Brock road but came back west to Liverpool. I parked at a Tim Hortons and grabbed a coffee. I walked across the the street and started up the bridge . People along the way said hello. I got to where the people had gathered. A firetruck was there with lights flashing. I took up my place beside a gentleman who introduced himself and said that he had been here many times. I said I was from Hamilton . There was a young man beside and we exchanged greetings as well.

In about five minutes flashing lights were visilble under the next bridge as the motorcade drew near. As the procession got nearer the man beside me saluted. I slipped my hood off and removed my hat and held it over my heart. Everything got quiet as everone stood still and our attention was on the four funeral hearses that went by. A few more cars and then it was over. The crowd began to leave the bridge. I felt like a wieght had been lifted of of me. I was worried on my trip there that I would get caught in traffic and would not get to do what I had set out to do. A lot of things went through my head on the drive back. Feelings of sadness and pride in my fellow Canadians. I never thought that in my lifetime someone would lay down their life for me. And these soldiers had. They had stood for me and my country and I was glad to have stood for them just for a tiny bit.

Hammercarp, you experienced the same feeling I did and I suspect everyone on each one of those bridges felt the same. With all of the turmoil in the world and violence in our cities, this sort of thing seems to bring everything into perspective. You begin to realize what really is important. The word WE begins to dwarf the word me.

You are right when you say " I never thought that in my lifetime someone would lay down their life for me". How many of us can do the same thing? So the thing isn't they shouldn't be there or they should be brought back now or anything like that. The thing is these men and women, volunteered to put themselves in harms way because we asked them to. They stood up to the challenge and some of them, including their families, paid the ultimate sacrifice. So in return, we stand on bridges to show our respect and gratitude for their sacrifice and sorrow for their loss.

Hammercarp, you experienced the same feeling I did and I suspect everyone on each one of those bridges felt the same. With all of the turmoil in the world and violence in our cities, this sort of thing seems to bring everything into perspective. You begin to realize what really is important. The word WE begins to dwarf the word me.

You are right when you say " I never thought that in my lifetime someone would lay down their life for me". How many of us can do the same thing? So the thing isn't they shouldn't be there or they should be brought back now or anything like that. The thing is these men and women, volunteered to put themselves in harms way because we asked them to. They stood up to the challenge and some of them, including their families, paid the ultimate sacrifice. So in return, we stand on bridges to show our respect and gratitude for their sacrifice and sorrow for their loss.

Maybe another Reason why I joined the Reserves was because I felt so Guilty that These Heroes gave up their Lives for the ultimate sacrifice. I just need to tell myself that like myself and others that served, we were ready to sacrifice by signing on the Dotted line as it is our duty, but more fortunate than others. Like I said I'm still on the fence if I'm going to continue into the new year and it has nothing to do with Afghanistan or the Money because I still haven't got paid since the Spring thanks to Bureaucracy

Edited by holdfast