Tiller rigs

fishingisliving

Fishing and fishing only... no water sky, no picnics on the water.. fishing hooks, rods and reels.

Roy, nice boat, which model is that? Pro 167 ?

I am not interested in a console, I want the quick and direct controls over my boat using 1 hand so my other hand can be free to dig into a bag of beef jerky.

Edited by fil

I think its now called the 169BT, I like that model. I fish from a holiday very often and I am pleased with the ride I can only imagine this one is wider so a bit more stable and spacious. Where are princrafts 2009 models? I guess they are not making any changes this year.. . ?

what is your cruising and top speed with a 60?

I don't know much about the tiller models, but I've used the 17 foot side console G3 with a 115 4stroke on the back and it's an AWESOME BOAT...I know you don't want a side console, but I imagine the tiller version is essentially the same boat....Very wide boat for it's length, and roomy - we shot a walleye show on quinte comfortably with 2 to 3 foot rollers, 2 camera guys, video gear, fishing gear, and two fisherman! Also fished smallies on the middle of Erie in december with that boat. Either way, I'm sure they're both great boats but I've only been in the G3.

Good luck with your purchase. Very exciting getting a new boat :thumbsup_anim:

Yeah the width on that boat is quite impressive for its length. for me its all about the beam width. Having run it with a 115 do you think a 75 will do the job with 4 anglers in the boat and some gear? ( I dont plan on being so crowded in the boat but I also want the boat to perform and have power to spare incase I need it)

If I'm not mistaken I believe the boat does about 45MPH with 3 guys and a full load. There'd be a little less weight with the tiller model so you'd assume a smaller motor would be fine, but I'm no expert so it probably wouldn't hurt to contact the manufacturer. I might be able to get some info for you if you'd like. Shoot me a PM with your e-mail and I'll see what I can do. My buddy who owned this boat (bought it from Dave Mercer) recently got rear ended and the boat had to be written off... :wallbash: The only thing that somehow didn't sustain any damage was the motor so he's trying to sell it.

2009 models will be available for viewing on the net this month. That's the way I think it should be. I don't know about my top speed cause I've never clocked it on the GPS. I imagine it's close to 40 mph. Plenty fast for me.

for a pure fishing boat I wouldn't have anything but a tiller. Backtrolling is a deadly technique for targeing a lot of different species with different presentations and you can't beat a tiller for backtrolling. I've run lund ProV tournament series tillers and alumacraft tournament series tillers both w/ 90 HP 4 stroke and the alumacraft wins hands down. They've got some awesome layouts in their tillers too. Happy shopping :)

My buddy had a Lund Pro guide 17' then after his little accident he decided to go with an Alumacraft. The Alumacraft has a much smoother & drier ride than the Lund that he had.

Navigator175.jpg

BTW, I was told by a sales guy that the G3 & Lunds are one in the same. He said the G3 was just a rebadge Lund that only comes with a Yamaha motor. Don't know if it's true or not but they looked to be the same when I looked at them at the fishing show. With the Alumacraft you can get it with any brand motor that you want.

Edited by Zib

BTW, I was told by a sales guy that the G3 & Lunds are one in the same. He said the G3 was just a rebadge Lund that only comes with a Yamaha motor. Don't know if it's true or not but they looked to be the same when I looked at them at the fishing show. With the Alumacraft you can get it with any brand motor that you want.

never heard that one before. Anything is possible.

this new model this year is also very apealing but the price difference to get the 172T makes it hard to consider the 162T

content-header.jpg

I know two guys in town here that run that tiller and both have nothing but great things to say about them. Funny enough, they both have e-tecs on the back too. Watched them in very very rough water in August on Superior for salmon, looked like a very smooth and dry ride.

ive been running the 16' Crestliner Canadian tiller for 5 seasons now... (they make the same model in other lengths too)

HPIM0896_edited1.jpg

ThePenners.jpg

I am very happy with it

I use it for trolling Lake Ont & Erie and am very comfortable in it. I also use it on smaller lakes & have no problem launching it off a beach

The hull has a lifetime warranty & the 30hp 4stroke Johnson (tho its rated for 50hp max) pushes it at 30mph WOT.

I know that I am going to catch five kinds of hell for this, but I don't see the allure of the tiller. The guys in the photo (leaning to reach, straining to see over the bow, and Roy doing the "look ma, I can drive a boat with one hand behind my back") don't even make it look appealing.

Why not a console?

Jim

Im not sure about all those boats above, they're all nice, and I'd take any one of them in a heartbeat. What I do know is my 16' starcraft tiller takes a BEATING all year round. I've had it for 10 years nowd, I"m the second owner, and not a hitch with the hull. I fish as soon as I can get it in the water, and I was just out in it yesterday duck hunting. It won't get put away until there is absolutley no more open launches, and even then, I can launch it off a beach if I have to. I'll be keeping this boat when I upgrade, that's how much I like it!! I fish/hunt all over from lake O, to small back lakes in it!

Sinker

for now I prefer the openess of a tiller - big open dance floor

im a multi species guy who fishes different ways on different waters - the tiller allows me to be versatile

You got it exactly. I hunt a lot out of mine, and I do everything from downrigging, to back water bassin in mine. There aren't too many places I can't get into with a tiller. Lots of room for decoys, and lots of room for gear when fishing. If I had a console boat, it would be wrecked by now for sure, and I would have taken the lower end off my engine loooong ago. Reverse on a tiller gives you the most control there is on a boat, from weaving thru stumps in the duck marsh, to getting up rapids in rocky shallow rivers.....a tiller will do it all, and you can see exactly where that prop is at all times!!

Sinker

The alumacraft is becoming very interesting. The size, weight and beam combination on the Navigator 175 is very tempting.

There are some dream tillers out there, but if I could afford these I would be having a different discussion...

imagine 60mph in minus 5 degree november evenings and no windshield... there goes your tan.

2009tournament.jpg

Ranger has a killer setup this year as well. 20 footer.