Tiller rigs

fishingisliving

Tiller there are no other kinds.

My first boat was a fiberglass boat with open deck full wrap windshield and steering wheel had it 2 yrs but it just didn't feel right so I sold it.

I went one summer with just a my 12 foot tinny and it was tiller.

A year later I bought a Lund SSV 18 footer Tiller of course had that for 4 yrs.

I just changed this year to a Lund 1660 Classic 7ft wide deep hull finally got the boat I always wanted.

I most troll for Walleye and prefer only needing one hand to operate the boat.

Have a look at the sportrak mounting system Fil I can position my rod holders anywhere along the gunwhales along with other accessories

Not one hole drilled in the boat.I took this motor off my SSV barebones aluminium it is now more fuel effeichent than the previous boat.

IPS provides a smooth ride very little resistance.

IMG_1063_1.jpg

IMG_1064_1.jpg

100_0117_1.jpg

IMG_1093_1.jpg

WizzingbyinmyClassic1660.jpg

Thanks for the pic Wayne :Gonefishing:

Edited by Mike the Pike

The alumacraft is becoming very interesting. The size, weight and beam combination on the Navigator 175 is very tempting.

There are some dream tillers out there, but if I could afford these I would be having a different discussion...

imagine 60mph in minus 5 degree november evenings and no windshield... there goes your tan.

2009tournament.jpg

Ranger has a killer setup this year as well. 20 footer.

Fil I have taken care of the cold in November.

Darthvader keeps me comfortable at 30mph.

IMG_0215_1-1.jpg

never heard that one before. Anything is possible.

this new model this year is also very apealing but the price difference to get the 172T makes it hard to consider the 162T

content-header.jpg

I have never seen a tiller guy hang his rod outside the boat on that side .He may as well use a side console he would be sittin in the same position.

must be a model not a fisherman :whistling:

Good Luck with your purchase

For me it's simple... I backtroll A LOT and you can't beat the precise boat control that comes with backtrolling a tiller. I can move fast along a break line or hold steady in a small area if I find a good school of fish. I like to stand when I fish and the one handed operation gives me a big advantage for multi-tasking in the boat and the livewell/graph are right there with me. The rest of the boat is wide open. Front trolling a tiller is easy too.

Biggest downside for me is getting splashed at the back of the boat when driving through bigger waves.

I have never seen a tiller guy hang his rod outside the boat on that side .He may as well use a side console he would be sittin in the same position.

must be a model not a fisherman :whistling:

Good Luck with your purchase

Hahahaha......thats the first thing I noticed too!!!

Model for sure!!

The only Aluma dealer in my area (well.. with a 2 hours drive) is switching to G3boats. That solves that issue for now. Unless the boat show this winter proves to be usefull in enlightening me of a new Aluma dealer.

this thing looks damn spacious (as some have said it was in the posts)

Thumb_Overhead.jpg

l_200709181128198097-2.jpg

Edited by fil

Tillers have their place. I grew up using them. Trouting and fishing in the ocean. Most guys back home still mostly use tillers. My grandfather still uses a 16 footer with a 45 evinrude tiller. You get great instant response time on turning or trolling. Sometimes a little harder to see whats up front when loaded though.

depends how many guys and how much gear/gas you have in the boat but I'd guess 35mph.

thats it eh?

that sucks

i love those big tillers, like 150-300hp with the hydraulic steering...

so cool,and such a tecnhological advancement in tiller performance

if i decided on a lund ssv-18 and a 60 horse tiller how fast do u think that bad boy would travel at WOT ?

BoatinQuinte100_0031.jpg

IMG_0478JPGSSV18.jpg

When I had my SSV 18 footer with a 50hp Honda I could go 33mph alone with 2 and fishing gear 31mph.

It may sound slow to you but its all I need and my Honda four stroke is really cheap on gas.

The same motor pushes my new Lund a 1660 classic.

In the new boat I can go 31mph alone add some gear and another fisherman and it goes 29mph.

All these speeds were from a GPS

Edited by Mike the Pike

I would say your first estimate was pretty good Ben. An 18 ft boat with a 60 unloaded like what you fellows are looking at would be about 30 to 35. Takes a lot of HP to push a boat 40 to 50 mph. And more fuel.

Indeed. My 17' Lund with a 75 tiller will do between 35 and 40 depending on the load.

if i decided on a lund ssv-18 and a 60 horse tiller how fast do u think that bad boy would travel at WOT ?

An SSV-16 with a 40HP motor and one driver will do 50MPH+. Its all in the prop.....certain pitches will top you out at xMPH, doesn't matter what boat it is on.

An SSV-18 with 60 will do?

forrest

Looking more at the alumas and I notice the driver's chair is very close to the middle.. Is the tiller handle adjustable at all on the new motors?

l_im000087.jpg

Fil when you purchase the boat the dealer will position the seat in the exact place you want it.

That is what I did when I picked up the boat found the comfortable seating position then they proceeded to screw down the seat.