Haliburton Update and Report - Pics

Slayingm

Due to the colder temps the past few days the larger lakes in the Haliburton's are now covered with a 'THIN' layer of ice but are definitely NOT SAFE to head out onto yet. Snow on top with slush under the thin ice has added a 'insulation' effect slowing the making of safer ice. There has already been reports of some guys breaking through trying to head out..... luckily they had floater suits on were able to head back, By larger lakes I'm referring to ones like Gull, 12 Mile, Mountain, Boskung, Halls, Drag, Haliburton, etc.

That said, for the past few days I have been fishing some of the smaller inland lakes in the northern part of Haliburton (north of Hwy 118 where the temps have been a few degrees colder). Even then ice conditions vary greatly between each lake and extreme caution is needed. The past 4 days ice conditions on 'some' of the smaller lakes have improved and now see between 4" and as much as 7" and we have enjoyed some good Splake and Laker action on various lakes in the Dorset and N. of Haliburton village area's. Small minnow tipped spoons (blue/silver, green/silver and gold) and minnow's worked on the bottom 5 ft have all produced. Here is pic I took driving into one of the lakes we fished..... scenery was unreal with lots of Moose deer tracks around!!

http://profishntanglingservices.com/MyPict.../000_0202-5.jpg

The trips in have also been rewarded with some nice eating sized fish. Here are a couple of pics from the past 3 days:

http://profishntanglingservices.com/MyPictures/000_0209.jpg

http://profishntanglingservices.com/MyPictures/000_0212.jpg

Again be extremely cautious if you plan on heading out and check the ice frequently. Often its safe the 1st 100 ft out only to get thin and slushy.

Be safe out and there and Good Fish'n .....Greg. :thumbsup_anim:

Great going! So are the fish lakers or splake? How do you tell em apart afield? I always had trouble, and the locals I fished with around North Bay would always say splake...since the limit was higher on em. LOL!

I caught Splake (cross between Speckled Trout and Lake Trout) years ago, but do not remember.

Here are a couple of pics to compare...

Splake

Splake.jpg

Lake Trout

LakeTrout.gif

Hey Greg,glad to see yer still kick,n.LOL Got all those winnings spent yet. :Gonefishing::Gonefishing:

Thanks for the report and pic,s.

LOL..... well.... I have not spent all the winnings but my wife is certainly working on it!!.... last time I invite her to a weigh-in show that I think I got a shot at winning.... :thumbsup_anim::worthy:

Take care and see you out on Simcoe!.... G.

Great going! So are the fish lakers or splake? How do you tell em apart afield? I always had trouble, and the locals I fished with around North Bay would always say splake...since the limit was higher on em. LOL!

Hi Cisco,

I don't think your friend will be able to sell a CO on calling a Laker Splake...... that said it can be tough sometimes to tell them apart as the colouration is different on some lakes. The best way to distinguish them is Splake have tri-colored pelvic fins like brook trout and their tails are slightly forked but not as much as a laker. Check out this link for some comparison pics.... http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/gmu/superio...h/Fish%20ID.htm

Great question..... take care.... Greg.

thanks for the report and those pics say it all,love that area where you are fishing...so many lakes so little time.....cheers bud, looks like you are gonna be having a nice fresh fish fry..... :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Hey Fishindevil.... you got that right.... absolutely tons of awesome trout lakes in the Haliburton and Madawaska area's..... could fish a different one every day for years!

Actually these trout are going into the Smoker (Hickory chips) with a favourite brine.... nothing tastes better in my mind..... can't wait! :D

....Greg.

Great report Greg. Nice to see the fishing finally kicking in. I'm going to get out fishing in the next 2 weeks in that area and east of there and will hopefully have something to report.

Mike

Hey Mike..... best of luck to you when you head up.... with all the colder weather you should have real good conditions.... look forward to your report.

Abberz.... you just had to go and mention that.... now I will be day dreaming of getting out for some monster Bronzebacks again. ;)

Take care and Good Fish'n... Greg.