Bag or Box?

bicephalic

Hi All,

My tackle box is getting a bit capacitated - EDIT: ie I have crankbaits floating and tangled in the bottom of the box -which means one of two things - cut down (unlikely) or split get something that organizes my baits a bit better. I currently use an (older) Fenwick Black Hawk 6 (big heavy box). I am debating between a bag like THIS with removable/configurable boxes, or something like the.Plano 44 I haven't looked anywhere with a decent selection as yet - just a brief glance at Canadian Tire and Lebaron's in mississauga and I'm not sold on either.

Looking for your suggestions/what you use.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

B

I couldn't find what I wanted, so I bought a mastecraft toolbox for $9.99 and divided it up into 77 individual hanging compartments, with 1/8" lexan, for all my cranks and stick baits. I is similar to a musky hanger box. I should have done that years ago, it is the best thing that I ever owned for tackle

Edited by hogman3006

I have had 3 different Tackleboxes then finally I just switched to a bag. (370 Qualifier) by Bass Pro. I find it much easier to keep things organized.

Just my 3 cents.

What he said. I really like my tackle bag, it is easier than a box IMHO

I have the stalker bag, but with the wheels. It is huge, but I love it. I have 5 4600 boxes in there, 2 BPS medium double sided worm binders, Spinnerbait binder, fluoro leader spools in the 2 spool compartments. My pliers and cutters in the 2 holders, I took out the removable rain cover, there are endless things you can do with this bag, compared to the hard case satchel you are thinking about. Just a note, it does not come with the boxes. I do recommend you purchase the Plano 4600 half thick boxes, more room, more boxed, less clutter.

I am not a salesman, just love that bag.

Hope this helps,

Daniel

unless you are using large baits, i find using trays of all sizes in a bag - even backpack works best. organize your trays and bring what you will need for the day/trip. if you're shorebound, bag over box for sure.

i have a bag the ones that are always one sale at canadiantire they come with like 3 or 4 containers word is escaping me right now major brain freeze but yah got it for 12.50 half price its easier to organize things in and this way i always have room for other things that ill remember like a flashlight, sun lotion, and of course a camera for when i reel in the big one

usually just all over the boat :lol:

generally a tackle bag...holds way more stuff..I just downsize all my tackle according to species sought after for the day, lots of different tackle trays that can go into the bag and I just take one tray out and replace with another depending on what I need that day.....needless to say I got lots of lkittle bits and parts of tackle all over in different trays in the basement and in the boat :dunno::lol::Gonefishing:

usually just all over the boat :lol:

Hehah - that's why I'm considering a change - dont bother putting everything away - hanging hooks off the styrofoam in the canoe...yadda yadda..It's real fun when they get tangled in the net :lol:

Thanks for all the feedback everyone - this is turning out to be quite the topic!

Keep it coming!

B

I went to a bag a few years back. Talk about making life simple. No more rats nest in the bottom of the box. Easier for organizing species specific or tactic specific gear. Especially when you have a limit on the amount of gear you can carry. Just take the trays and packages you need, and leave the rest in the bag.

Edited by bigugli

I have a small Flambeau Outdoors bag with removeable boxes. I think its most redeeming qualities are its light weight and its shoulder strap. I guess it depends where you fish. We do alot of bushwacking into remote lakes and this fact heavily influenced my decision to get a bag because it was light and enabled me to have my hands free. I take what I need and leave the rest in storage at home in Plano boxes. Buy what fits your typical fishing situation/needs best is my advice. I like the bag.

Edited by mrsavage

Simply box/bag combos hold more tackle and are more flexible:

I put tackle in smaller boxes and those boxes in bags that can be slung over the shoulder.

Some of the boxes could count as mini tackle boxes.

Plastics stay in soft containment.

I keep a toolbox on the boat with some basic tools and loose tackle like dipsys, gloves etc...

forrest

I do have another suggestion for a bag, I have 3 of the Browning 370 bags,they hold and come with 6 boxes, can hold a 360 box in the front, not included. Has a back pocket for maps etc... 2 huge side pockets, sun glass holder in front, zipper in top flap, zipper in front pocket, plus non zippered front pocket, fits 360 box. Tool holders on all 4 corners, hard bottom, carry strap and handle. Best of all, reason I bought then, 100% waterproof. Not to many bags on the market are waterproof. BPS is the only one that has them, no they don't show it on the website.

Just a suggestion.

Daniel

Hmm this year I switched to the clear plastic boxes, 1 layer. I simply put my tackle into several of these, nice thing is u can see thru them. I've also seen some bass pros in the tourneys using this style, they got like 20 boxes in their boat! They're quite easy to stack and convenient, my 2 cents, altho I'd like to look into bags for next year seems lots of ppl here are using them.

clear plastic one-layer boxes as well. One for musky plugs, another for bass, another for terminal tackle, etc. Easy to store, organize, and i take what i need for each outting instead of dragging ALL of my tackle with me.

Have a backpack with pliers etc. Its not waterproof though. I'm not sure which is better -- waterproof, or highly breathable. For me its the latter but to each his (or her) own.