trophy pike lake

Doop

theres still lots of ice here in the sault in april but it gets pretty sloppy! lots of slush and water on the ice. i ice fished almost till the end of april last year. also that time of year isnt that best time for that trophy pike. if your after a trophy you should be out right now, after first ice, or right after ice out. i could tell you where to go, but if i told you i would have to kill you! buy a backroad map book and do some research.

What Pike slayer said and also take careful note of the regs. Places like Temagami (Zone 11) that had year round pike seasons up until the end of 2007 DON'T anymore. Easier to just not let us fish for anything than to worry about whether we are fishing pike/pickeral or Lakers I guess.

If you're goign to plan a trophy pike trip, why not wait a month and go softwater-fishing in early may somewhere.....its the best time to catch big pike. If you're set on ice-fishing, try earlier in the season when fish are more active and the ice is more pleasant (and safer).

Here i pasted this for you !!! enjoy,hope it helps...cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: One popular northern escape for spring pike is none other than “The Trophy Northern Pike Capital of North America”; otherwise known as Little Vermillion Lake. One establishment that operates on the lake, Sportsman’s Lodge, adopted a "no kill trophy pike" policy in 1982 to ensure the fishery continues to produce big fish well into future generations. The dividends of this groundbreaking decision back in the 1980’s have been phenomenal. Year after year, anglers return to the lake to catch countless trophy pike and there definitely aren’t any signs of the fishery slowing down.

Here i pasted this for you !!! enjoy,hope it helps...cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: One popular northern escape for spring pike is none other than “The Trophy Northern Pike Capital of North America”; otherwise known as Little Vermillion Lake.

That could describe hundreds of lakes in Northwestern Ontario. They aren't well known because the locals don't fish Pike so the lakes aren't promoted. The Northwest of the province is littered with trophy Pike lakes.

Hello guys,

I'm trying to find a lake for a late March or early April tip up fishing for pike.

Does anyone have a lake where we have a good chance at a 20 pounder? Feel free

to email if you [email protected]

Thanks for helping me give my dad a fishing to trip he won't soon forget!

March is a great time to take big Northerns through the ice, but you have to be willing to travel to certian watersheds for the best chance at a trophy. These lakes are probably your best bet for not only a 20 pounder, but multiple 20 pounders.

Tobin lake, Saskatchewan http://www.bigstrike.ca/

The Buffalo Bay and Zippell Bay sectors of Lake of the Woods (Manitoba, Minnesota)

Rainy Lake, Ontario

These lakes have winter accomadations a guides/outfitters that cater to those looking for big pike on tip-ups.

Good Luck!

You may want to pm Moosbunk and see if he will share some info on big pike through the ice.

I can't comment on piking through the ice but I did witness first hand last season on ice out pike. I had often read on how exceptional pike fishing can be at that time of year and I was very impressed with both numbers and size. The group I was with was on Little Vermillion which fishindevil pointed out and none of us went home disappointed.

DanC is also correct about NWO, in many places up there the pike just aren't targeted.

Good luck in your search

curious -- why? oxygen levels are lower, and they are just getting ready to spawn. I figured this is the worst time.

Oxygen levels get higher at actual last ice, when the shores start melting. And big pike are easy to locate just before the spawn.

when the shores start melting

Yeah...which makes it exciting getting ON to the ice though...and back off at the end of the day :D

I found some fantastic articles on the Outdoor Canada Website, about late season pike through the ice...worth the read. Just hit their site and click on articles..Gord Pyzer's got all kinds of pike articles.

But to get to the question of WHERE...yeah, I'd look at NW Ontario...already some great places named on this post

Edited by johnnyb