Wild Steelhead

solopaddler

I received an invite from my buddy Dave who's family owns an amazing waterfront cottage right in the heart of steelhead country up north to come up fish for a couple days.

Joining us was our mutual friend Joe, one of my companions on the Alaskan trip.

Saturday far exceeded my expectations.

The conditions were perfect: high, but very clear water.

Normally on this river you're restricted to fishing the deeper holes as most of the river is just too skinny, but we hit fish everywhere on Saturday.

The added water depth allowed the fish some measure of security and we found them in fast water pockets behind boulders, riffles, and tailouts that are normally rock gardens.

The uber clear water called for fluorocarbon tippets, but we had to run at least 6lb test or run the risk of losing fish.

Small micro roe bags tied in white were the ticket, although Dave shocked at least one fish into smashing his pink plastic worm :) .

There's definitely something to be said for wild steelhead, their power is just unreal.

So hard and muscular they're incredibly hard to hold with every muscle twitching and quivering. They just never give up!

These fish were all pure chrome and absolutely electric. If they had hair it would've been standing on end :D .

HuronChrome006.jpg

HuronChrome005.jpg

HuronChrome007.jpg

HuronChrome008.jpg

HuronChrome011.jpg

HuronChrome016.jpg

HuronChrome017.jpg

HuronChrome021.jpg

HuronChrome020.jpg

HuronChrome024.jpg

HuronChrome027.jpg

HuronChrome028.jpg

HuronChrome030.jpg

Huron1.jpg

Huron3.jpg

Huron2.jpg

HuronChrome032.jpg

HuronChrome034.jpg

HuronChrome023.jpg

HuronChrome015.jpg

Saturday evening we enjoyed our apres fish at Dave's place right on the water.

What an incredible spot!

HuronChrome040.jpg

HuronChrome039.jpg

HuronChrome042.jpg

The money shot :D

HuronChrome043.jpg

Couldn't have been a more perfect day!

Sunday we fished a different river for just the morning. I hit one brute of a fish that just smoked

me, snapping my tippet like thread...and that was it.

Around 10:30 we decided to cut our losses and head home to our families earlier than expected.

(Brownie points in the bank for next weekend :) ).

The next couple of weeks are shaping up to be very prime if you're a steelhead fisherman.

Get out and enjoy boys while it lasts!

Cheers, Mike

GORGEOUS.....jus GORGEOUS.....stellar day on the river!! were those lake superior tribs? lemme know, you don't have to tell me which river tho....i jus wanna maybe stop at a couple superior tribs on my way north this coming may....once again GREAT DAY out there!

Hawk

Mike,

Sounds like you had a great time! Looks like I missed it by a day on the Saugeen. My buddy hooked into 12 on the Sat, we hooked into 2 on the friday :)

Ah well, atleast it's raining in Barrie today, The Notty should be prime soon enough.

Mike,

Sounds like you had a great time! Looks like I missed it by a day on the Saugeen. My buddy hooked into 12 on the Sat, we hooked into 2 on the friday :)

Ah well, atleast it's raining in Barrie today, The Notty should be prime soon enough.

Good stuff Bill. We contemplated the Saugeen for Sunday, wish we would have tried it.

You're bang on about the Notty!

amazing as usual!

Im getting my ars kicked by chrome so far this season, can wait to get into some quality ones like that!

and you can always tell the difference between a wild fish and a stocker, they are just pure muscle

A great weekend for sure Mike...I'm glad that you and Joe were able to make it up for a weekend at the cottage. It's obviously a special place for me an my family, where we've made life-long friendships and spend as much time up there as possible. The fact that it's so close to many fantastic rivers which see runs of wild Steelhead is just icing on the cake.

Too bad they didn't cooperate for us on Sunday but Saturday more than made up for things.

Looking forward to the next trip...with the girls still in Florida I'll be out again this weekend!

A great weekend for sure Mike...I'm glad that you and Joe were able to make it up for a weekend at the cottage. It's obviously a special place for me an my family, where we've made life-long friendships and spend as much time up there as possible. The fact that it's so close to many fantastic rivers which see runs of wild Steelhead is just icing on the cake.

Too bad they didn't cooperate for us on Sunday but Saturday more than made up for things.

Looking forward to the next trip...with the girls still in Florida I'll be out again this weekend!

A special place is an understatement bud, I feel fortunate for the invite!

Next 2-3 weeks are going to be fun indeed. :)