Pigeon Musky Derby Report...

jedimaster

Well I came in Second place boating a solid healthy 43 incher.... The derby was amongst friends and all measurements were verified by picture and tape measure, then all fish were to be released. There were 14 fish boated. The winner was 44 inches. It was very sickly looking though and was all head and a skinny body... I had my cousin with me, and my other cousin was in his boat. Between the three of us we boated 6 of the 14 fish.

Actually the tourney was great, no reports of any dead or mishandled musky.

We just took a picture, with a measuring tape and pretty much went on the honor system as it was a small derby amongst friends.

Here are the pictures...

My big one...

pigeon43.jpg

The release....

pigeonrelease.jpg

My second one....

pigeon2.jpg

My Partner's Ski

pigeon3.jpg

My other Cousins first

pigeon4.jpg

His second Second...

pigeon5.jpg

He had a third but I don't have a picture of it.

I think 8 people out of the 20 or so entrants caught fish.

As for the money I won....... I will be fixing my rear brake that spun the Drum Backing off the hub while I helped a guy pull out his boat. The emerg got locked in 4 low. bango, oh well a great day none the less.

Well done and congrats on finishing 2nd. In our musky derby, instead of putting the fish through the stress of another photo with a measuring tape, we have the angler who didn't catch the fish do the official measurement. The guy who caught it holds the tape to the head and the other angler takes the tape to the tail. What he calls out for length is what stands. I remember taking pics of one my brother caught in Sturgeon with the tape for the OFC derby a couple of years ago. The added stress made for a very long revival time. Then the tourney went for a crap for reasons I never fully understood. I have always felt bad about that and haven't entered the OFC tourney since. Maybe the musky division should be dropped or the tape photo idea should be scrapped for that species.

Yah, it was the first year for this derby so it was kind of a learning experience for us all. We looked around for info on how others run small musky derbies and it seemed the majority did it this way. I won 100 bucks, so it was good, actually its the first time I have ever profited from a fishing toderby of any kind, bass walleye, ice fishing etc... Although I can't say for sure about the other boats we were pretty fast and furious getting the fish in and out quickly. At the end we talked about having cradles manditory with a measuring tapd attatched to the handles and take the picture with the fish in the water, then pull it out for a quick acurate measure and a picture of the catcher holding the fish then back in the water. The Net man would submit the measure and the picture in the cradle with would be enough of a verification. If anyone has any other ideas I am all ears, and I'll definatly bring it up for next years derby.

Some nice fish there! I am also fishing Pigeon in a few days with a couple of friends. Did you notice any patterns you would be willing to share? eg. Weeds vs Rocks vs Suspended, Depths, time of day, type of baits (bucktails, topwater, crank, etc.). Any pointers you, or anyone else :rolleyes: , can provide are much appreciated!

Attached is a fish I caught a couple of weeks ago on Pigeon. Not huge, but was fun. Especially taking pictures on your own. Got him on a white bucktail, at around 11:00am, while fishing a weed line dropping from ~6ft to ~20ft.

P9200021.JPG

White seems to be the go to color, we were catching them shallow and deep, just make a decision if your gonna go for the shallow lunkers, the mid lake head shakes or the super deep hogs, then gear yourself up and hit the water. In the derby people were cathing them from the river mouth to the very north tip and everywhere in between. Its feed bag time for musky and they are definatly on.