Night Pier Salmon Report

ccmtcanada

The bite this year has been slow for us to say the least.....the last 3 nights we had just one hit and none hooked. Tonight we hit a different area and on my third cast I had a fish on for about 2 seconds....but at least they were there!

A few minutes later casting out the trusty glow in the dark cleos, I feel 2 hits on the retrieve...the third one I finally get a good hookset and the fight is on. This one was 39"....still cant break the 40" barrier!!!

cliff-1.jpg

As I'm reviving the fish, Bly heads back to the spot and starts casting. The fish finally swam away after about 5 minutes and as I'm heading back, she yells..."stay there....bringing one in". It suddenly takes off. She looked at her spool and started to get nervous so she starts to thumb it to slow it down to try and turn it's head. Suddenly all the tension is gone. The fish took her cleo....but the leader and her line were just fine. The snap ring broke on it.

Bly finally gets one that is a little easier to control and she lands this 32" beauty....nice red colour on the belly.

carole1-3.jpg

Lay the tape along the fishs' side as opposed to the flat ground, the bow in the tape from that gut will get you that extra inch your lookin for lol

LOL...thanks for the tip!!

I've caught 2 that were 39 and one that was 39.5....it'll come one day I'm sure.

I have the same problem with musky....my biggest is....yep.....39"

LOL...thanks for the tip!!

I've caught 2 that were 39 and one that was 39.5....it'll come one day I'm sure.

I have the same problem with musky....my biggest is....yep.....39"

Salmon seem to stop growing long right about there, and just get beefy. I broke 40 once with a 41 but it was a weird fish, freakishly long with nothing to it that thought it was a chromer and hit in november.

Watched my dad wrestle with one at a rivermouth that has since been closed to fishing that turned out to be 44"! Just a massive pig of a salmon. I can't remember the weight on it but it went over 30lbs. Whenever the discussion turns to fishing at some gathering he starts talking about that big salmon he caught, and a battle it was.

Im sure when you get a 40"er your kids will still hear about it when they are 18 too....

haha

good fishin!

Nice pair of salmon CCMT and Bly! Good report!

I've had lots of tackle lost to bad leaders. Seems like you can't buy a quality leader, unless make your own.

Thanks Reef.

The snap ring Cliff was referring to is the split ring on the spoon, not the snap on the leader, that held just fine lol Time to find some better quality rings.

Nice fish. Heh, atleast somebody is catching them.

As it stands now I've caught more chinooks off the piers in July than September........

40"+ is going to be pushing 30lb, what Kemper said they seem to stop growing and just become fat pigs. Last 40"er I caught was two years ago that was 42" went 29.5lb. It's funny what a few inches can do for salmon, I haven't caught one smaller than 34" and biggest has been 38" and change, weights all over the place from high teens to high twenties.

nice going on the fishin there, some great sized fish..as for Cliff's 40 incher plus fish, that's a tough one to crack these days with the average sized fish being alot smaller then say 20 years ago when the numbers of big fish was huge too..biggest I ever got was in the 1980's when the run was massive..pulled in a 48 1/4 incher coming in at 42 lbs..( numbers came from the taxidermist when I brought the fish in for a mount) found out the mount was going to be over 400 bucks, being a teenager at the time, I decided that i had better things to do with 400 bucks :rolleyes: ..The way you guys plug away at it,I am sure a fish over 40 inches is well within your grasp this season. NIce coho in the pics too, I always thought they looked pretty cool when they started to take on that redish pink spawning colour....that's a pretty nice one too for a coho :Gonefishing: