ABSOLUTE WORST DAY

canadian_copper

WELL SUNDAY WAS THE MAIDEN VOYAGE OF THE NEW LUND FOR US.

WE STARTED OFF LIKE EVERY OTHER OUTING AT 4:30AM LOADIN THE BOAT.

HEADED DOWN THE ROAD FOR OUR USUAL BREAKFAST.

DAVE(MY FISHIN PARTNER AND BOAT OWNER) IS NOT A VERY GOOD DRIVER TO START OFF LOL

EVEN WHEN WE HAD THE SMALLER BOAT I KEPT TELLIN HIM WHEN YOUR TOWIN A TRAIL YA ALWAYS HAVE TO WATCH YOUR MIRRORS.WELL LONG STORY SHORT HE DIDNT WATCH THE MIRRORS AND CUT IT TOO CLOSE TO A BARRIER POLE.

HENSE THE RESULT

THE SCRATCH

hyhy004.jpg

THE DENT'

hyhy005.jpg

IT DOESNT END HERE LOL

SO AFTER ALOT OF FOUL WORDS WE WERE ON OUR WAY TO THE LAKE(5:30AM)

HALFWAY THERE I HEAR A CLANG. I TELL DAVE TO PULL OVER AND LETS CHECK IT OUT!!!

EVERYTHING LOOKS OK SO WE JUST ASSUMED IT WAS THE CHAINS HITTIN THE GROUND.

AT THE LAUNCH WERE BACKIN THE BOAT INTO THE WATER AND IT FEEL LIKE THE BRAKES KEEP COMIN ON .

NOW REMEMBER ALL THAT FOR LATER IN THE STORY.

FISHIN WAS TUFF ALL DAY BUT MANAGED A FEW!!!

LOST 1 BIG ONE AND CAUGHT A FEW SMALLER ONES!!

hyhy003.jpg

NOW NEVER OWNING A LARGER MOTOR BEFORE (WENT FROM A 65 TO A 115) AND IT BEIN A HONDA WE THOUGHT FUEL ECONOMY WOULD BE GREAT!!!

WELL 40$ IN GAS DIDNT CUT IT LOL 40$ WITH THE 65 LASTED 2 DAYS LOL

SO OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF SCUGOG WERE FLOATING AROUND WITH A EMPTY FUEL TANK AND A DEAD TROLLING MOTOR LOL

IT FEELS LIKE THIS LITTLE BLACK CLOUD IS STARTING TO FORM OVER US LOL

FINALLY SOME NICE PEOPLE HELP US OUT AND TOWED US TO A MARINA.

NOW FULL WE HEAD BACK TO THE LAUNCH(ITS 3PM NOW) CAUSE DAVE HAS TO LEAVE AT 2AM TO GO TO JAMAICA TO GET MARRIED.

AT THE LAUNCH DAVE JUST BACKS THE TRAILER UP AND I DRIVE THE BOAT ON!!! WELL AFTER ABOUT 10MINS HE COMES WALKIN BACK TO THE DOCK.

TELLS ME THE TRAILERS BROKE.

THE BLACK CLOUD JUST TURNED INTO A TROPICAL STORM LOL

I EXAMAINE THE TRAILER AND IT TURNS OUT THAT CLANG WE HEARD IN THE MORN WAS THE U-BOLTS COMIN OFF THE FRAME THAT HOLD THE AXLE TO IT. TALK ABOUT BEIN SCREWED.

THINKIN OF A PLAN AT THIS POINT.

SAW THE LOAD GUIDES HAD THE SAME U-BOLT AND METAL PLATE SO WE THOUGHT WE COULD BORROW THEM!!! WELL AFTER TAKIN THEM OFF THEY WERE HALF AN INCH TOO SHORT.

SO OFF TO CANADIAN TIRE!!! DAVE GONE FOR AN HR CAUSE I GOTTA WATCH THE BOAT AND TRAILER.

I TOLD DAVE IF THEY COULDNT MATCH THE BOLT UP TO BRING ME SOME THICK WIRE!!!

WELL RETURNS NO BOLT AND WITH ALUMINUM MIG WIRE LOL

WELL ITS 5PM AND ALL IS CLOSED!!!

WELL THE REDNECK MECHANIC KICKS IN AND HERES WHAT WE ENDED UP WITH!!! HAD NO CHOICE WE HAD TO GO!!

hyhy006.jpg

MADE IT HOME BY 8PM!!!

DAVE THOUGHT HE MIGHT NOT BE GOIN TO JAMACIA!!! COULD OF BEEN A GOOD THING LOL

I WENT BACK TO WERE WE HEARD THE CLANG LATER AND I FOUND THE U BOLT!!! STILL MISSING THE BRACKETS.

LOOKS LIKE THE MARINA DIDNT TIGHTEN THEM VERY WELL!!

SO 4 DAYS OLD , $30,000 DOLLARS LATER I HOPE ALL THE BAD CARMA IS GONE LOL

NOW THE SCRATCH WENT RIGHT DOWN TO BARE METAL!!! IM PRETTY SURE THIS WILL RUST SO WOULD BLACK AUTOMOTIVE OR MARINE TOUCH UP PAINT SEAL THAT TILL WE CAN GET IT FIXED????

oh man., that really sucks big time specially if that a brand new boat...perhaps insurance would help cover the scrape down the side....you can probably get match up paint from where ever the boat came from...it's kinda costly though...first year with uor boat..brother and freinds had it in the water..got stormy,,boat rubbing on the dock post got some dock rash down to the metal...touch up paint is over 40 bucks a spray can for it.

hopefully the fishing adventures get better from here on in :blink:

I hope you are considering getting a proper repair done on that scratch CC, is there any internal damage? and don't go mickey mouse with a spray can!

And why was a safety check not done on the trailer at hook up? Spring bolts need to be checked and new bolts also need to be re torqued after a certain amount of KM's.

Ouch! Scott! it hurts me to look at that! did you guys go thru the drive thru? i've seen people do that, trailers and drive thru's don't go together!, looks like your freind has learned a valuable lesson, luckily no one got hurt, the boat/trailer can be fixed, all you can do is chalk it up to experience.

That is just oh so painful to read. We learnt, years back, to check all bolts on the new trailer, and to repeat that check every year. A cousin dropped his axle and totalled his Lund on his second trip out some 10 years back. I would never have thought to take the trailer through a drive through

Guest skeeter99

well at least you did not get hit by lightning LOL!!!

and do u remeber the circle check in the drivers handbook?

this little check could have prevented a possible problem all good truck drivers do it, just some food for thought

Guest skeeter99
Why would you need to check the bolts on a new trailer. That is nuts. Maybe the people building the trailers should check them. I didnt know it was some assembly required on a new trailer. Just buy a trailer and put it together yourself.

why would you check bolts?

because it has happened before and it will happen again, got to remember humans put the things together and all humans make mistake and miss things

Why would you need to check the bolts on a new trailer. That is nuts. Maybe the people building the trailers should check them. I didnt know it was some assembly required on a new trailer. Just buy a trailer and put it together yourself.

It has nothing to do with the assembler the bolts will relax due to the leaf spring assembly settling in. Ask any good spring shop and they recommend an inspection follow up.