Kawartha kayak muskies, new PB

jediangler

Returned to Camp Ashtabula on Pigeon lake for a second time this summer, this time with a plan to test drive a new kayak. Spoke to the crew at Wild Rock outfitters in Peterborough and they suggested a Necky Manitou Sport. The idea was that it would handle my 200lbs but be managable for my 8yr old daughter.

necky.jpg

It measures out at 10'11" long and weighs 44lbs. It has a sealed rear bulkhead and plenty of deck rigging in both bungee and nylon ropes. I attached a portable version of my hockey stick camera mount with tape to take pics if I caught anything photo worthy. I always use my own paddle on a test ride or rental, this way I can judge the performance of the boat alone.

manitou.jpg

My daughter gave the Manitou Sport 2 thumbs up for a comfortable seat and ease of paddling. I found it to be very fast for a rec yak, but because of my weight, I did get wet. Any waves hitting me broadside greater than a foot would break in my lap. I had the wife drive me up the lake 3km so I could paddle back and fish for perch and crappie with my ultra-lite.

musky41.jpg

This scrappy 24" ski hit a 1/16oz jig & grub combo in 4ft of water. A nice little battle on a 5'5" ugly-stik. Good thing I had 10lb Fireline on my reel as I had no leader.

sadperch.jpg

Did some fishing in a rental 14' w/9.9hp with the wife and daughter as well. This perch was one of 21 fish she landed in a 1.5hr drift. She caught bluegill, sunfish, rockbass and perch with her pink & white tube on a 1/16oz jig. I had it on a stringer for her until she decided that she couldn't eat it because it was so cute.

tinalg.jpg

My wife fished a 1/8oz jig and grub combo in white and caught several largies this size as well as loads of panfish.

musky40.jpg

This puppy was 43" and hit a Mepps musky killer bucktail (gold blade w/black buck) in 12ft of water along a weedline. It went deep first, burying itself in the weeds, and wouldn't budge. I used the old guitar plunking the line on it and bolted out of the weeds and into deeper water. I was pulled maybe 25ft and then spun around once before it came to the surface so I could see it. Then it soaked me with it's tail a few times and spun me around again before I got a hand on it. It did manage to stick 2 teeth into my thumb while I was unhooking it, but it was very co-operative for the size and the pain was worth it. I took a measurement and a couple of photos before releasing it. It was my second longest ever and a new kayak PB. My adrenaline was pumping and I would have won an Olympic gold medal on my paddle back to the cottage to tell the story and show off my pics.

sunski.jpg

This was the first pic I took with the sun behind me, kinda cool with the rays all around me.

Edited by jediangler

Great report! Congrats on the PB Muskie in your yak....a great fish no matter how you catch it! Looks like you all had a great time. Gotta love it when the fish cooperates when you have your little one in the boat as well...her smile says it all.

Sheesh! I could see me, sitting in the kayak, watching that behemoth tow me around as I screamed for help. I'd be hyperventilating with that monster if I caught him from the shoreline, let alone in a boat. In a kayak I'd be plain and simply screwed. I'd likely get very wet, in so many ways. :clapping:

Good job

JF

It certainly was a fun fish to catch in the kayak. I find it easier to hand land them out of the yak as opposed to using a cradle in an aluminum boat. Everyone seems to forget that the Innuit have been hunting whale, seal, walrus and narwal out of kayaks for centuries. Picture a guy with a harpooned Beluga whale holding the rope in his kayak in sub zero temps being towed around an ice flow. Now that's EXTREME kayaking. Kinda makes my musky insignificant. Next challenge, bring on the Chinooks :clapping:

Guest Johnny Bass

Very impressive musky and from a kayak to boot! Congrats on your PB.I was headed for pigeon too but Emily was having reservation problems so went to Balsam. How was the wind on Pigeon with the kayak?? It was pretty bad on Balsam.

Good one Bro. NICE. Holy cow nice perch too and some familiar looking spots where that bass was caught. Yas had a good week,looking forward to our Cherryhill gang weekend. Stopped in at Emily one day too but there was no way I could get our boat in without getting swamped, had to let it go for now. Bummer. :wallbash:

the only i can say................MONSTER.

and in a kayak.way to go.......you the man.

fish off lifetime and in akayak..this is just to mutch.

way to go..

joco