Absolutely Amazing day on Sturgeon Lake!!!!!!!!!!

ccmtcanada

Bly and I decided last night that we'd hit a Kawartha Lake bright and early this morning. We didn't decide on the lake until just before we went to bed. The plan....wake up at 5am, out the door by 530am and then on the water on Sturgeon Lake by 7am. All went according to plan.

As we arrived at the lake, we passed by Big Cliff's place and saw him working, so we stopped for a few minutes to say hi. I'm glad we did, because he told us where to look for the fish, and what colours were working lately!!

We launched and were on the water by 7am. Not long after, using a brown worm rigged texas style, I caught the first fish of the day.

01cliffbass.jpg

The drift was ideal, so I kept on catching fish! Bly on the other hand was having some issues until a little later on. Here's a few of the bass that were caught.....

02cliffbass2.jpg

03release.jpg

04cliffbass.jpg

05cliffbass.jpg

Bly finally hooks into one...her first of the day.....here she is fighting the fish....

06carolefighjt.jpg

And here's her beauty 17" Smallie!

07carolebass.jpg

The bite slowed down around 11am....so she took the opportunity to work on her tan....

08carolerest.jpg

Bly also landed a small walleye, but we didn't care....we were having a blast out there....something we needed! At one point, while motoring back to start a drift again, she's picking weeds off her lure....she throws it in the water...only it hits me square in the face!! We're laughing out heads off, but I got even. She lies back down on the front bench to relax. A large boat crosses in front of us, so I speed up just enough to soak her as we hit their wake....hehe.

At around noon we headed to Big Cliff's dock to drop in and say hi. We chatted with Cliff and Sue for a while and caught up a little. Big Cliff then asked where we planned on fishing for the afternoon and I told him that I spied a spot on the GPS that marked water in the 20 to 25 foot range...thinking that they'd head deeper as the day wore on. He suggested trying deep weeds in the 5 to 8 foot range instead, so that's where we headed....and boy are we glad we did!!!!

We got to the general area and fished for bass for a bit...then we noticed all kinds of cabbage and grass.....we looked at eachother and put on bucktails instead. About 10 minutes later, Bly says that she thinks she had a hit.....then as she's retrieving, a HUGE muskie is following it!! Ok...we are no longer fishing for Bass.....LOL.

We end the drift and decide to troll back up to where we started. As we're trolling, Bly yells out "FISH ON!!". This thing jumps clear out of the water and begins running away from us. She looks at her spool....it's half empty! I start up the motor and chase after it. As we get closer it clears the water yet again. As it hits the water it begins a run straight at us. She's reeling like mad and I begin to back troll to help out....while doing this it jumps yet again. She's finally getting better control of the fish and when it's boatside, it jumps so high it clears our gunwhale. Finally....her first ever and new PB muskie is landed....a beauty 33" one.

09carolefirstmuskie.jpg

Here's a shot of it's head....lotsa sharp teeth!!!

10muskiehead.jpg

Back it goes into the water and I spy a patch of cabbage off to the side. I cast over and as soon as my lure hits the water I feel a hit!! I land this 31" muskie....

11cliffmuskie.jpg

Bly has been trying in vain since last summer to catch her muskie and now that she's landed one, she decides to show off....and lands this beauty as well! This one also was quite acrobatic! This one measured in at 32".....

12carolemuskie2.jpg

We decided it was about time to leave and she says....hold on....there's some more cabbage over there. She yells "Last cast!!!" and don't you know it, she get another one.

13carolemuskie3.jpg

Anyhow, this marked our BEST day on the water ever. Bly completed the Kawartha Trifecta (Bass, Walleye, Muskie) and we both had a heck of a lot of fun out there. We headed in to tell Big Cliff and Sue about our afternoon and then trailered the boat and headed home. Thanks for reading this novel of a report....haha.