• Wirebait
    • Senko-alike lure
    • Grub + Jig
    • Creaturebait + Jig
    • Tube + Jig
    • Spinner
    • Real-bait-imitation lure

Guest Fishing For Life

I have always had hard time to decide what goes into my chest pack ...

Therefore, I would like to know what you guys prefer the most ..

Kinda depends on the water and structure for me.

When I'm fishing heavy weed cover, drifting over weed-beds, I use a Florida-rigged 6" worm. Nice and weedless finding those little pockets. For rocky bottoms, I either use cranks or tubes. My neighbor got me started trying tubes this year and I've had some luck with them.

I always start the hunt with a white BigO..... Love catching them on crank bait :)

Second choice is Gulp x400 7" minnow worm cherry seed on a #2 wide gap hook.

Usually will switch back and forth between the two.....had lots of success with these two methods :)

Leechman

I can't count how many smallies have broken spinnerbaits on me. After that, topwaters, jerkbaits, tubes, senkos, and grubs. Barring any of those,I'll rig a 7" Power worm with about 2" taken off the top on a 1/4oz jighead. Alot of the fish take this on the fall, also works great drifting this set-up for deeper fish that won't take a tube being dragged but like to see it close to bottom.

Guest Fishing For Life

Wow, thanks for all the inputs!

I started using stuff other live leeches this year and have had quite a bit success

on throwing senko with free-falling style. It is very cool and I love it.

As far as the tub goes ... havent had any success ... not sure if I use it incorrectly or

not, perhaps some of you can help.

I usually go 3/0 wide gap weedless rig the tub ..

then either drag it along the rocky bottom or yank it, let it fall and yank it and let it fall ..

the place I fish SMB is mostly rocky bottom with some weeds ..

any suggestions?

I find tubes for smallies are best rigged in the original fashion. Jighead inside not weedless. If you learn to work it you'll find weeds aren't too much of a problem unless you're fishing really, really thick stuff. I like a chiclet style head, gives more of a slow nosedive action rather than a spinning action.. though sometimes the spinning works best. Let the fish decide.

Guess after reading the above answers I'm in the minority. When drift fishing , which is my favorite way to fish smallmouth, I like live bait....crayfish, minnows and worms probably because I've use them all my life and have tremendous confidence in them. I do use small spinners and very small spoons as well as work harnesses when trolling.

Tubes, white with silver flake.

I always wanted to try crayfish, how do you rig it up? what's the best size?

i've caught smallies of all sizes on crayfish ranging from little one inchers, to "mini-lobster" 4 inchers. hook them through the tail through the underside and up through the shell, make sure you don't puncture the veign in the center of the tail... the crayfish will die in less than 5 minutes if you do!