Canada's Wonderland NF

Headhunter

Firstly, sorry for the non-fishing post, but I thought I'd let the community know about my experience on Friday at Canada's Wonderland.

I took the day off work in an effort to avoid the crowds at Wonderland. Myself, my wife and my 6 year old and 4 year old decided to make it a day. Upon arriving, I found out that my 6 year old son is going to cost me "adult fare" as he is one inch over 48 inches! The difference in price is $38.00 under 48 inches and $53.00 for over 48 inches. I can't believe what I'm hearing at this point. I said to the guy, he's 6 years old, how can he possible be seen as an adult? He's over 48 inches in height and therefore based on "park policy" he has to be charged as an adult.

Ok, so for any of you who have young kids, you know that my first inclination was to turn around and walk away, but with the kids there, I just couldn't.

So, roughly $180.00 later we are in the park. In total, I believe I spent close to $400.00 on Friday, but this issue really stuck in my craw!

I called customer service today to register a complaint and was handed the same line, all the way up to manager of customer service.

My suggestion to any considering a trip to C.W.... consider Ontario Place of Marineland as C.W. has no concern for their customers or for doing the right thing... only concern is for the mighty buck!

HH

can't comment on the child age/height requirement part.

But about the admission price.... never go to the gate and pay regular price! Spend a few min online you can easily find discount code that give u adult admission tickets for $35~ or less. I've never paid more than $35-37ish... lowest once $26.

Actually Joe pretty much all of the theme parks are applying that silly 48" under and over pricing!

If you want to have a great day and save some money (depending on where you live) Darien Lake is in my opinion one of the better values.

$29.99 over 48" and 19.99 under 48". I understand that discount tickets are available at the Peace Bridge Duty Fee on the way across the border.

They also offer camping and have all inclusive weekend family passes.

www.godarienlake.com

John...

I live about 20-30 minutes from Darien Lake and it is a great park in my opinion. And not outrageously priced as someone already stated. Ive never been to Canadas Wonderland.........so i cant compare the two. The superman coaster is awesome..............they just built a new O.C.C. (orange county choppers) coaster too that i havent ridden yet because i havent had time to get to the park this summer.......but it looks pretty cool. Cedar point however, wins hands down for thrill parks in the north east........bit of a ride though all the way to sandusky Ohio......but so worth it.

The other side is: based on age, everyones 16 year old will be called their darling 4 year old etc. when its time to pay and the rant will go something like, 'I didn't think I would need to bring a Birth Certificate to a park...' 'my word is my word' etc etc.

The height thing is pretty fair because you can't Bull your way around it like you can with age, not you personally HH but those policies are all for the bottom of the barrel BSers scamming their kids thru gates left and right.

Agreed Kirk! Funny though, we had all of our kids I.D. with us, including OHIP (yah just never know) and they had no interest in looking at the documents.

To the others who have suggested other parks, thanks for that! But, we were looking at a day trip, not a weekend thing.

HH

Should have told the kid to takes off his shoes :)

The rule in Wonderland is 48" WITH SHOES on, no i'm not joking :)

Agreed Kirk! Funny though, we had all of our kids I.D. with us, including OHIP (yah just never know) and they had no interest in looking at the documents.

Their rule does say for Jr/Sr ticket, it's for 3y/o+ and under 48"... but there's no upper limit on the "child's" age. So i guess thats' why they didn't even bother checking ur age documents.

Will be interesting if someone that's obviously an adult but indeed under 48" ...

Edited by oncogene

The 48" rule was brought in when Cedar Fairs bought out all the Paramount Parks. I don't recall seeing it when Paramount owned Wonderland.

48" is the minimum height that most of the bigger rides require, so I can understand why they would start charging full fair for anyone taller.

But I hear you on the price, since Cedar fairs took over I need to get the $100+ Cedar Maxx pass to go to the parks in the States, before it was already included in the regular season pass

Just like the airlines, once a kid turns 3yrs old they pay full price on a plane ticket.

the reason it is 48" and above is because the child can go on most of the bigger rides. It is with soes on because my daughter is 47" and she wears big shoes to put her over the 48" mark so she can ride the bigger rides. I don't agree with it at all. I have been 6 times this year and I paid $59 for each or our passes. I would not pay the day price especially with the huge number of people that are there. Crowds and lines everywhere.

I feel for you and your wallet