Island Lake Report

evster

Yesterday afternoon my wife and I took the short drive up to Island Lake Conservation Area to give it a try. I had fished there before and got a couple nice bass so I was looking forward to it. Well we did WAY better. They were biting on everything as well. Spinnerbaits, jigs, soft plastics. They were everywhere.

Overall we got 27 fish, 16 of which were decent bass. We started the day off with a double header! Our first time getting a double header so it was pretty exciting.

2702897598_fcf450e83c.jpg

We caught lots of fish around this size:

2702083597_b4315e5ff3.jpg

2702912226_f04a61278a.jpg

At some point in the day we were talking about how it was cool we were able to get a double header when wham, fish on. I yell for net and my wife yells, "oh crap! I got one on too!!!". So I had to scramble back to the back of the boat without falling in, net my fish, then net her fish. Somehow I managed to do this without flipping the boat or falling in myself, and neither fish were lost. But I noticed after the fact that somehow amongst the chaos I blew the button off my shorts...maybe I need to consider loosing a bit off the waste line.

2702904136_78ce159bc8.jpg

My wife's fish was a really nice one. I don't know what it is but she always gets bigger fish than me. No matter where we go she does it.

Anyway, it was a great time, I love getting out fishing with her. Even though she tends to show me up!

i was there last week and i did alright will post pics here when i het it developed.i got a disposable waterproof camera which was a great idea at the time.i was fishing in the rain,it was on and off but i was prepared with the raincoat and stuff.i caught about 1bucket and 7 pikes. not as well as you did but it was fun. and oh during those 6 hours i was scooping water of the boat, which i thought was hilarious.

those are pretty nice fish you and your wife caught.congrats

Well done. Lots of good bass in Orangeville, and no gas burners to stink the place up. Lots of rental options Urban, including kayaks, canoes, and tin boats with electric trolling motors. Your inflatable would be fine as long as it is not a really windy day.

Thanks guys! It was a blast. I'll try to answer some questions that haven't been answered yet.

nice job those fish are beauties. How'd they fight?

Some of them fought like crazy and kept wanting to bury themselves in weeds or stumps. Some not so good, they just sort of let me pull them to the boat. The best fighter ended up having about 6 pounds of weeds on his snout...kind of disapointed when I got him in.

Were they caught in certain areas? Looks like the western side of the lake?

Yep, pretty much all on the western side. Didn't have a need to go try out the other arm of the lake.

i was there last week and i did alright will post pics here when i het it developed

Looking forward to those pics!

I noticed that their tails are all split pretty badly though

I didn't notice that until you mentioned it. And yes almost every fish we caught had then now when I look back at the pics. I do have a rubber net, so I doubt I caused that. It is a catch and release lake for bass, so maybe it is due to the fact each of these fish has probably been caught a bunch of times. Or maybe its something else in their environment.

Did you take your own boat or rent one?

Took my own. 14 foot tinny with a bowmount :thumbsup_anim:, its perfect for these conservation areas.

she'd really put a Whoopin' you if she ever fished from the front eh!!!

I don't even what to know what that would be like!!! I love seeing her catching nice fish...just I want a big one every once in a while!

If anyone plans on going on an inflatable on that lake it can get very nasty with whitecaps so it's best to check the weatherman a head of time. It's beens years since I have went back great place for a family outting none the less. As mentioned in the above weekends are really busy and crowded.