broken finger?Help?

K so i was playing soccer with my cousins and i was in net the ball came at me and hit my finger bending it back i iced it right away. Woke up today it was purple on the knuckle(middle finger) so ye it was a bit purple. I can sorta bend it but not all the way down to touch my palm like usual.This sucks because im heading to Nipissing in 2 weeks! :( and if its broken i will need a cast my grandma recently broke hers. The doctor advised a cast but she refused to so she has a splint for me i just taped my middle finger to my index, i will continue to ice regularly. Any tips or suggestions to if its broken,jammed,sprained or just badly burused?if broken can i fish?

Thanks

L.A

Edited by little angler

Chances are if it was broken you would not be able to move it. Probably just a bad sprain, ice it up for 20 minutes at a time every couple of hours to get the swelling down and you should be able to go fishing no problem. If it is your casting hand I might put a tether cord on the rod and on your wrist just in case. Used to do that to my son when I let him borrow my rods when he was younger.

a finger... no problem... you've got 9 more, you'll make do just fine with the fishing!

when i was younger i broke my arm just before my annual Rice Lake trip, and a family scheduled trip to Florida. i had a cast on for both trips... and did plenty of fishing on both trips.

So if i can do it with a full length arm cast, you can do it with a little finger splint!

Suck it up little man... get out there and do what you live to do! GO FISHING!!! :clapping::thumbsup_anim::clapping:

Go see the doctor right away.

Risk of not seeing a doctor....loose a finger or have some funky feeling in the finger for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

Risk of seeing a doctor....none.

It is supposed to be an easy decision. Go downtown Toronto if you can, they have better doctors.

If you want to fish bad enough you will still be able to, even if you need to rig something up. Learn how to tie knots with your mouth, its possible and you will have something else to impress whoever you want to impress.

Go to the doc and tell him the situation.More than likely its sprained,broke fingers are pretty obvious.

A real man would just try to bend it backwards. If it touches the back of your hand it's broken. Saves going to the doc.

If it doesn't bend back it may still be broken though. Let us know how that works. :whistling:

If he splints it, don't hold it up to the window when yer driving around Toronto.

JF

A few painkillers and you wont feel your finger any more.

Check your paperboy insurance....they always have funky clauses that pay off money depending on the combination of fingers you loose.

1) get paper route that gives insurance

2) take some pain killers

3) play with a spinning prop or a good fillet knife

4) profit!

Mike dont worry bout it screw it i taped it up with a Popsicle stick underneath, i wont back of of jack! ill go to the docks whenever you asking if i was backing out or bailing is YOUR way of copping out i think,you that scared?hahahim just playin witcha all the best

L.A

I broke a finger just months back. Got it xrayed, but the doc told me a cast is not needed in most cases. Place the splint ON TOP of the broken member and wrap selfadhesive bandage around to fit tight. I am fully certified in first aid and proudly hold the only reported office accident, lol. As a member of the Joint Health and Safety Committee I hope my record stands. Remember to splint on top, 6 weeks and you'll be fine.

they will only cast a SEVERELY broken finger, and even then, its only a half cast. basically covers the top or bottom of ur hand, and is help on with a tensor bandage. easy to remove. broken fingers are easy to fish with, done it many times. if ur worried about it beiong broken, go get it xrayed. otherwise, ice and and forget it. i;ve broken lots of bones and i rarely see a doctor cause i know what they will do anyways. playing football i;ve had my share of xrays and i can read them as easy as a doctor can. being friends with an orthopedic surgeon has its perks lol. but really, unless ur actually worried about it, don;t lose any sleep over it. just ice it, 30 minutes on... 60 minutes off. the swelling should go down soon, if it lasts longer then a week with no improvement, then go see a doctor.

Hey Little Angler

Hope the finger is alright. You have been given good reasons for going to the Dr to get it checked out, listen to us old people, we know things LOL

As for the fishing.....when there is a will there is a way! Best of luck to you!!

psssst Ice and Advil are your friends :)

The rule if you can move it then it is not broken is always not corrrect.

Few years back, I fell on a fishing trip and broke my thumb on the second day of a 3 day trip, the hand swelled up big time I could barrely hold the fishing rod but I fished the whole trip then drove to TO from North Bay and ended up having it casted in Richmond Hill.

Get it checked and good luck.

FLEX

Those were a dime a dozen to me when I played high school basketball. I remember having four at the same time once. Give them time and they will heal. Probably in a week or so. The only bone that I've ever actually broke was my pelvis. Believe me. You don't ever want to do that.