Loosing my favorite Fishing hole to Ants!

Hi Guys,

I’ve been fishing in this particular spot (east end) for the past 10 years, great fishing. By this year Ants “red” moved in and making my day a living hell :wallbash: . At first I didn’t mind them, but now they are getting pretty vicious.

Last time I was there, I had a nice bit, I set the hook and fighting the fish, suddenly I get a huge bite on my neck, flick that Ant off, then I get a bite on my crotch, I basically threw my rod down along with the fighting bass on the end, ran around trying to remove my waders and pants to get that ant out!!!

Is there anything I could do to persuade them to move? Any local remedies or methods? I thought of buying a case of Raid and spraying the entire case on the area, BUT, I don’t think that’s safe for the environment and for the fish lives in the water… Please need help!

Thanks in Advance,

Anton

Hmmm....raid wouldn't work for long anyways.

You need an insecticide that doesn't kill them right away....the workers take the poison back to the queen, where it will eventually die.

Go to CTC or Home Depot...check out their insecticide sections...most ones specifically for ants will have this slow acting insecticide.

Good luck!

those dam red ants have been destroying my fishing for many years every year i see them getting farther north on the east tribs. as for getting away from them i would stand in the water. ALTHOUGH i have seen them floating down the water and clinging to my legs ive been bit so many times i freakin hate them. the worst is stinging nettle with red ants on it jesus thats a painfull collision. i was pondering the thought of spraying raid onto my shoes or boots so they wouldnt climb on. those ants are some kind of invading species. im always looking at the ground one thing i have found if you look down and see black ants your safe. some areas have millions of red ants they eat eachother. here is some info on your enemy i hate them so much. http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/urban/ants/Myrmica_ruba.htm good luck!!! youll need it!!

With all due respect I would try to find another spot. Let nature take it's course and respect their space.

IMHO spreading/spraying a bunch of insecticide in your favourite fishing hole doesn't seem like a good idea. Ministry may not appreciate it either... but hey what do I know..

my 2cents

Ant Be Gone comes in a tube that looks like Dristan Mist... just squeeze some in the area they are thick, they will lick the stuff up and take it back to the nest... has not failed me yet! Available at yer finer CTC stores.

HH

Insecticides are very bad for aquatic life!!!

Get yourself a can of gasoline and pour a small amount on each mound, no worse than running a 2 stroke motor.

Don't light the gas on fire! It will soak in a little and evaporate, it will kill some of the ants and the ones that don't die will go deep into the ground.

I've been fighting Fire Ants for over 30 yrs.!

Instead of spraying the area make up some "sweet baits" for them to enjoy while you are fishing then remove them when you leave. Mix 3 tablespoons of boric acid with 1 cup of warm water, and ½ a cup of sugar should make an appropriate solution that can either be put in a shallow dish for ants to get to or soaked up in cotton balls and set plastic around the nest. They will go back to the nest with the bait on them & kill there buddies in the colony. :D

With all due respect I would try to find another spot. Let nature take it's course and respect their space.

IMHO spreading/spraying a bunch of insecticide in your favourite fishing hole doesn't seem like a good idea. Ministry may not appreciate it either... but hey what do I know..

my 2cents

I'll agree with Nemo. I have some spots that I love to fish but are chalk full of fire ants. Tough it out like a man or go fishing at Glen Haffy for some stocked trout. Wussies.

Oh man.....sceeered of a few little bitty ants? Come on.......man up dude!!! It'll heal!!

Sinker

I am an being a wuss, I've been toughing it out since May, but i am not a P.O.V from Vietnam to tough out bites on my nuts! :blink: I am going to try all your methods, well most of it... its just too good of a spot for me to let it go.. I catch everything from Salmon, trout, bass, pike, sheepshead, perch, channal cats including carp at nights, this is like the one spot for all different seasons! :worthy:

• 1 month later...

Being a pro on the subject I can confirm that post #13 is the correct method, workers will bring the bait back to the nest to feed the colony and kill the queen. Borax can be purchased as '20 mule team brand' for laundry.

Greencoachdog if you want the best cure for fire ants ever use pine oil?

Edited by Wild

Ah yes.. sounds like you've met the shore fisherman's nemesis, the dreaded Fire ant!

We wade to keep away from those little beasties and they still manage to find us... and they'll even hitch a ride for a while and sting hours afterwards!!

I feel your anguish. Try mustard powder mixed with water.. It's an irritant more than anything, we use it to get worms before we'd out if we hadn't gone out worming the night before.. They squirm right outta their holes full speed.. It's pretty wild!

I'd like to see them suckers squirm for once.

cheers

HD