Pigeon Lake Extravaganza

Meely

Me, Buckster and another "non-OFC" buddy headed up to Pigeon Lake last weekend.

We figured we'd spend a few days targeting nothing but Skis.

For the longest time we had been told by the local "old-timers" that trolling deep water would not produce any fish and that shallower "weedier" water is where we should concentrate our efforts.

So, bein the stubborn "eye-talians" that we are we headed out early

Saturday morning for the first of 5 days of fishing concentrating on

nothing but deep, barren waters.

Saturday Morning: Woke up to a down-pour. Around 9 am "ish" the rain stopped and we

had blue skies with pop-corn clouds for most of the day.

We headed out.......water temp=70 degrees, slight winds out of the south-west,

lure of choice......10 inch jointed believers.

We began trolling a section of the lake that was deep.... 30 - 40 feet........

We set up our lines and began trolling.....within 10 minutes of trolling.........BAM !!.....FISH ON !!

We boated our first Ski......

ski1.jpg

Snapped a quick pic and let her go.....unharmed.

We set up our lines again began trolling.......and after trolling another 600 yards....guess what.......YUP!!...WHAMMO......another hit....FISH #2 on !!.....here she is......

ski2.jpg

We trolled until 3 pm and decided to call it a day as I had a few chores to do around the cottage.

Sunday: We headed out in the morning to skies that were a mixture of everything, Sun, clouds, etc.

We ventured to the same area we had fished the day before and began trolling again....This time we clipped on an orange 10 inch Jake to one of our lines. Found the magic trolling speed to be around 3.5 miles per hour. After an hour of trolling....WHAMMO.....Fish #3 for the weekend.......another purtee little girl.....this one coming off the rod with the 10 inch Jake.

ski3.jpg

So far we are thinking..."WOW.....not a bad few days so far"........Well it got even better......boy I tell you..........when it rains...it sure does pour !! We continued to troll all day and decided to head in around 5 pm as some pretty bad storm clouds were headin our way. But before we headed in we boated Musky 4 and 5 in the same area and #6 from an area off of Big Island...all trolling deep water.......which apparantly wasnt supposed to produce any fish !! Here are the pics.

Musky # 4

ski4.jpg

Musky #5

ski5.jpg

Musky #6

ski66-1.jpg

Monday was spent finishing up my chores......no fishing.

Tuesday we had clear blue skies and a really calm lake. We trolled all day....NOTHING !!

Wednesday we deided to head out for a bit as we had a fe whours to spare

before we headed home. We hit the water at approx. 10:30 am and began trolling an area in the north end of the lake. This time we had a nice little chop on the water with a semi-clear sky.

We put out our lines, again loaded with jointed believers.......we hadnt trolled more than 10 minutes when ....BAMMO..........one of the rods goes off..........as soon as I pulled the rod out of the holder,

I could tell I had a horse on. She took drag for about 50 yards before I could manage to gain any ground on her. I finally got her to the boat.......WOW.....what a monster....#7. This was by far one of the biggest Muskies I had ever caught !! Wanted to snap a pic of her...and guess what??

We forgot the camera back at the cottage !! DOH !! Thankfully , I had my cell phone with me.

Not the clearest picture, but at least you get an idea......She was a beaut !!

Ski1111.jpg

We snapped a picture and let her go. Best part of catching a fish like this is knowing

she'll live to fight again another day..

One slap of her massive tail....and she was gone.

Overall we had a good 5 days up north with 3 awesome days on the lake.

So, the next time people say "nah...that wont get you fish "...or..."that will never work".....

dont always listen....cuz if we had....Im not sure how many fish...if any...we'd a boated.

Now...I just gotta go visit JB's and get me a few more believers and another pack or two of 5 odd hooks.

Thanks for listening.....

Meely :canadian:

Edited by Meely

nice report!

this is one reason why i really dislike swimming in kawartha lakes. it sends shivers down my spine.

what were the magic colours u were using?

pretty much just trolling open water eh? any good underwater structure?

i'll be heading to the cottage first weekend in august. was hoping to maybe tackle some ski's/

my lake is where big bald lake connects to pigeo. i think thats the south end of the lake.

has anyone fished this area? its pretty deep and there are some islands

Guest Johnny Bass

Wow an impressive report! That last one is a monster. Looks like you had perfect musky weather. They are very active when it is over cast.

When fishing, never say never, because when you least expect it, thats when it will happen. Thats why I love fishing!!

Wow, thats one impressive weekend. That last one, cellphone pic or not, is a beast. Congrats on sticking to your game plan and making it work. You "eye-talians" sure can be stubborn but when your right your right! :)