BASS SEASON IS NOT OPEN UNTIL THE 4TH SAT IN JUNE

I've seen so many people out bass fishing or perch fishing and just hammering the bass on theitr beds, yet not moving, and so many people that think it opens this weekend around the Kawarthas. It doesn't, read the regs, not until the 4th saturday in june. please be informed

I hearya man, I hate when people do that..how often do people sit on a spot cuz they think they are having a good day hammering the smallies and think it's a good thing cuz they just let em go anyways <_<

or there's the whole other "no speak English" excuse we could lock down a thread about

Everyone catches OOS bass this time of year anyone who says they don't is full of crap...but any ethical angler will move on.....I change up locations and baits until I stop cathcing them :Gonefishing:

Edited by jwl

your right steve ive seen lots of people doing this as well,and they are stupid as in just 10 seconds a whole bunch of panfish will move in and eat the whole nest in just seconds,i have seen this done and it happens so fast all it takes is that bass to be off the bed for seconds even the gobies will rush right in ,they should be charged !!!!!!!

your right steve ive seen lots of people doing this as well,and they are stupid as in just 10 seconds a whole bunch of panfish will move in and eat the whole nest in just seconds,i have seen this done and it happens so fast all it takes is that bass to be off the bed for seconds even the gobies will rush right in ,they should be charged !!!!!!!

I usually fish near a lock dam 10min from home. I haven't even bother to fish yet this year, as the only fish I'm interested (aka that I know how lol) is the larege mouth bass. There are some occasional pikes that I've seen/heard ppl caught but it's not as easy, to me anyway.

And yeah I've seen ppl fishing for bass as well. Last time I went there for a walk, a guy on a boat went up near shore into this ~50ft wide channel... and caught a bass... and started chatting to a random guy on shore about "i just got another 1-2 bass in the same spot within 5min.... lota bass holding here.... etc etc". He did release that bass he caught.... altho he looked kinda fishy to me... the way he let the hooked fish in the water for like a whole minute, while he's not looking at the fish at all but kinda looking around everywhere... seemed very weird. Was he intentionally "targeting" bass? perhaps, hard to prove tho. And be4 ppl jump all over these incidents with the "no speak english" & 'white bucket" comments... at least in my case that dude obviously speaks english and he's white Caucasians.

i understand everyones frustration with oos bass fishing. i must say though, monday and tuesday i was fishing pike and walleye and i caught way more bass then pike or walleye. smallies hitting a grub and jig in 20 feet of water where walleye are suppose to be. i had a largie hit a musky bait while i was chucking for large pike. when i got into a spot where i got one or 2 bass i moved on to another area but they were all over the place. im sure once opener starts at he end of june i wont catch any lol. but i dont try and fish bass untill season starts but this trip they bit everything i tied on.

cheers!

i understand everyones frustration with oos bass fishing. i must say though, monday and tuesday i was fishing pike and walleye and i caught way more bass then pike or walleye. smallies hitting a grub and jig in 20 feet of water where walleye are suppose to be. i had a largie hit a musky bait while i was chucking for large pike. when i got into a spot where i got one or 2 bass i moved on to another area but they were all over the place. im sure once opener starts at he end of june i wont catch any lol. but i dont try and fish bass untill season starts but this trip they bit everything i tied on.

cheers!

ah your right man...... Was like tonight when i kicked the kids outa my shoreline.

Not like you can help catching them........ they do hang out in all sorts of area's.

Maybe im just a grumpy sot....... <_<

Probally a lot better things to worry about i guess....

or there's the whole other "no speak English" excuse we could lock down a thread about

Everyone catches OOS bass this time of year anyone who says they don't is full of crap...but any ethical angler will move on.....I change up locations and baits until I stop cathcing them :Gonefishing:

Usually the guys i see targeting OOS bass have bass boats with decals all over them :whistling:

Usually the guys i see targeting OOS bass have bass boats with decals all over them :whistling:

You got that right!

I've found poachers to be born and bred locally.

They get angry if you disturb "their" poaching site by birthright.

All my confrontations have been in english.

I don't even fish the Grand river on weekends this time of year anymore because the crap that you'll see is disgusting. If you fish anywhere near a dam you'll see far too many people catching bass, and many targeting them. Of course they release them, but only after they're bleeding from being hooked deep and out of the water for 5 minutes to take pictures.

Now I've certainly caught out of season bass before when targeting pike or steelhead. But when this happens I'll move to another spot or switch presentations. I've even left spots entirely because I thought I was catching out of season fish. But sometimes it makes me wonder why because as soon as I leave some lurker jumps in and takes my spot even though they've seen what's happening. Now I know that many other people are in the same boat as I am and that they're not intentionally doing this so I'm not slamming everyone who's caught oos fish. But the sad part is that I honestly believe most people are just ignorant. They don't even realize they're doing anything wrong. It's nice to see that other people are upset about this too.

Put a CO at the trout pond in the Toronto Islands this time of year and the fines will more than pay for their hourly wage :whistling: ....

I got in a HUGE argument with two younger, 20-something year old guys at the Toronto Islands about this time of year last year. They were fishing for bass on beds and I got really mad and gruffly told them to stop and they refused....it almost got violent because I kept throwing small stones wherever they cast their baits so that they would stop fishing for the bedding bass....I eventually walked away and learned that its better to just ignore these people because even if you tell them that their doing something wrong, they DONT care at all and they might even get violent.

People who don't understand the regs, now thats a different story....

-Ben

Edited by Ben_Daniels

Everyone is going to catch OOS bass occasionally. If you are catching them in 20 feet of water, or they are slamming a fast moving spinnerbait, they likely are not on beds. BUT, if you are dragging salamanders or craw imitations purposefully through beds, then you should be pushed into the water.

The reason we have a closed season here, especially for smallies, is that breeding success is so low compared to places like Florida. In any one season, about 1/3 of the smallies will even try to breed.

The folks that are targetting them are usually the same folks that are the first to complain about "the fishing isn't as good as it used to be".

Here in NY we now allow fishing for out of season bass on a catch and release only not to mention our trophy season on Lake Erie Bass starting in May.

Our bass fishing has never been better. Maybe Ontario should take another look on how bass should be regulated. However, I must add most anglers here do not keep bass even when in season. Why eat a crummy hot dog when there are steaks and juicy pork chops swimming the waters.

Bass are like fleas on the kawarthas. You can move on 50 times and you'll still be catching bass while perch fishing. A little different are the guys tossing bass sized "musky spinnerbaits" or topwaters in the shallows and just happen to be catching bass. Saw lots of those "hardcore musky guys" when we were up last weekend.