Waitress loses job after shaving head for Cancer charity event.

wuchikubo

I didn't see this posted anywhere and I apologize if someone has already done it.

I was reading up on the news and saw this posted:

Waitress loses job after shaving head for Cancer charity event.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/06/05/...ad.html?ref=rss

Pretty sure I would stop going to this restaurant after that kind of tactic. I believe it said Owen Sound.

Definitely going to receive some bad karma to the restaurant manager/owner after that.

It just goes to show you there is no cure for stupid never has been in the food service industry and never will be. How do you take an act of charity like that which should be good for your business and screw it up this badly? Doesn't anyone in management think anymore? How the heck did she raise so much money? Probably by being popular with folks from working there.... so then you turn around and slap the public that donated the money in the face by "firing" her. How could someone not clue in? If she lost her hair due to cancer would she still be fired if she wanted or need to work? More importantly, I wonder would this "upscale city eatery" allow patrons who were female going through radiation treatments in the doors if they were bald? Places like that just give the whole industry a bad name. I am glad the owners are nervous wrecks they deserve to be.

The owner of the business has the right to set the work conditions and the waitress knew what these were. The fact that she did this for charity is immaterial, she knowingly contravened her conditions of employment. This is all media hype.

Tim Hortons stock prices were pretty much unaffected over the course of the 'timbit trauma' and the boycotts (LOL) that followed, probably the same result here for this business.

I'm sure there is more to the story than what the media cherry picks for showing on TV and newspapers.

...and she was given the option to wear a wig (which she refused). The owner also indicates that she was not fired and is welcome back when her hair grows back or she dons the wig.

The media is making this a much bigger deal than it really is.

...and she was given the option to wear a wig (which she refused). The owner also indicates that she was not fired and is welcome back when her hair grows back or she dons the wig.

The media is making this a much bigger deal than it really is.

Some restaurants take this whole grooming and appearance thing pretty seriously. We have at least one upscale restaurant here in town which requires their waitstaff, right down to the busboys, to have their hair cut once a month by a hairdresser the company brings in.

JF

There's always at least 2 sides to a story like this but the media likes to grab the "feel good" side and make the owners look like schmucks. This is just like the timbit caper a short time ago, I'm sure the real reason for that woman's firing had nothing to do with giving away a free timbit...the timbit was the "proverbial straw". Its also important to note she was not fired, and had alternatives (wig). The fact she won't wear the wig sure makes it look to me that she's on a mission to make the owners look bad. Even charitable people aren't necessarily nice.

There's always at least 2 sides to a story like this but the media likes to grab the "feel good" side and make the owners look like schmucks. This is just like the timbit caper a short time ago, I'm sure the real reason for that woman's firing had nothing to do with giving away a free timbit...the timbit was the "proverbial straw". Its also important to note she was not fired, and had alternatives (wig). The fact she won't wear the wig sure makes it look to me that she's on a mission to make the owners look bad. Even charitable people aren't necessarily nice.

The owners are doing a fine job of making themselves look bad, they don't need any help in that department.

I read this story last week and thought what a pair of clowns, did they think people would just ignore the stories?

I don't think the media blew this story up, either way, behold the power of the media!!!

a persons hair is not a uniform, if your employer has a dress code policy and you choose not to follow it because of a charitable gesture, maybe shame on the employer but you set yourself up for the axe, live and learn, but I wonder if this restaurant serves people who are bald, do they turn down paying patrons because of lack of hair? maybe people with bald family members or friends that are a little on the chrome side of things should boycott this place, I wonder if the owner goes bald would he fire himself? come on man we live in a great coutry this should not happen! just my 2cents, to each there own

Heard on 680 news on the way home that the restaurant has had all kinds of complaints from across Canada. They have officially apologized to her and to the Canadian Cancer Society and they want her back at work. They are also changing their policies to encourage any employee to get involved with charities.

This is a small upscale restaurant where the employees are expected to toe the line when it comes to appearance. The owners gave her ample warning of the outcome, she chose to do otherwise. Her employemnt was not terminated, rather deferred until she grew her hair back or wore a wig. All of the other employees stood behind the owners, citing it is a good place to work, none had any gripes about the outcome. If I was to take my other half to a quaint little spot, I would expect the staff to be properly groomed. As for those wondering if they serve bald headed guys, that's a "natural" occurance, similar to a person who may be undergoing a medical treatment. Many of the locals also stood behind the owners. Again to me it's nothing more than a media act, those that don't want to eat there, that's fine too. The employer makes reasonable rules, abide by them otherwise go look for other employement.