Sturgeon lake musky opener

jediangler

Went to Sturgeon lake for musky opener with my brother Joonmoon, Griff and the Shipper. We left KW at 4am and were fishing by 7am.

launch1.jpg

Joonmoon had the first hook-up at 7:45am.

joonwet.jpg

It was 29.5" and officially started the 2008 musky season.

joon29.jpg

Griff caught this, his 1st ever walleye, on a T1 titanium spinnerbait in red chrome. He also hooked but lost his 1st musky on the same spinnerbait after fighting it for 8 seconds.

griffeye.jpg

Joonmoon then lost another fish and seen several follows before it was my turn. Check out the jealous look on the Shipper's face in the backround.

bekwet.jpg

It was 25" and very acrobatic.

myboat.jpg

musky39.jpg

Then Joonmoon caught it's twin, another 25"er.

joon25.jpg

The Shipper managed one perch that was referred to as the "one stinkin' perch" for the rest of the trip. All muskies were landed on Mepps Musky Killer bucktails with gold blade and black buck. Winds were 25km/h changing from W to NW to N and the water temp was 67F when we packed it in at 1pm. Then the long drive home with the AC cranked. Great start to this musky season with friends and family.

Edited by jediangler

Wow nice wack of healthy looking Muskie gentleman can't wait to catch my first Muskie.

25kph winds in a canoe is challenging great report I always enjoy your canoe reports and can appreciate

them as I do fish out of my Canoe a few times per year.

Oh and tell Jon he should remove his Pyjamas before leaving at 4am.The last pic :whistling:

:clapping::thumbsup_anim::clapping:

Hey Mike those PJ's are and have always been my good luck charm...lol. I wear them over my shorts when it gets too hot and sunny to prevent a nasty sunburn. I had an awesome day Bro thanks for your guiding services, it sure was nice having nothing to do but fish for a change. I think it would have been a lot shorter day had there have been no wind. I can't remember a better opener, boating three Skis and an eye and numerous perch, too bad the Shipper didn't get one...lol. B)

Nice fish and great pictures/ report.

Seems like you had an all round successful musky opener.

Those canoes or fishing kayaks might be the way to go for stealth and getting in tight to cover,

as well not having to deal with gas prices, etc...

Thanks for sharing,

ehg

Thanks all. We had loads of fun giving the Shipper a hard time.We were very happy to see so many follows, even if most of them wouldn't commit. Glad to see so many OFC'ers did well on opening day. The weeds are still growing and the musky fishing will only be getting better. Next musky report will be from a kayak.

GREAT stuff!!! Gotta be fun hunting them down in the canoe! BTW....how's the stability with the seat high up? Just curious...I have a canoe that has those "foam" tubes along the gunwhale of my canoe...never really tested them though.

The Sportspal canoe is super stable in the water we've never had issues with stability even though the seats look high they aren't really. I can wash Musky slime off my hands without bending over at all, we've always fished from a Sportspal...as opposed to another canoe, maybe we are are just used to it, I dunno. Some modifications have been made to seat supports and swivel brackets were added to allow more mobility as well. Just gotta see what works and what doesn't. B)

The Sportspal canoe is super stable in the water we've never had issues with stability even though the seats look high they aren't really. I can wash Musky slime off my hands without bending over at all, we've always fished from a Sportspal...as opposed to another canoe, maybe we are are just used to it, I dunno. Some modifications have been made to seat supports and swivel brackets were added to allow more mobility as well. Just gotta see what works and what doesn't. B)

Thanks...right now in my canoe, my knees almost hit my chin when I'm sitting in it (at least it feels that way). An hour or two and my back is screaming!!

Knightfisher I installed quick release seat bases on 1" plywood that is screwed into the original wood cross members. I also used stainless bolts and nuts on every rib in the canoe so they don't move.

Ccmt, this is the 15th yr for this boat and I've never even had a close call, very stable.

I would highly advise anyone who wanted to fish from a canoe to buy a Sportspal. As long as you have an electric motor to move it you'll be OK. They don't paddle well.