Lake Superior trib report

danc

I finally found the time to get out for a few hours yesterday. A Lake Superior tributary was my destination, hoping to find a few late season Steelhead. I was actually unsure if I should have even went because of Fridays record rainfall around here. If you watched the Weather Network at all on Friday, then you probably saw one of the many reports about the devastating storm that we experienced. To give you an idea, here's a few photos from the area that I borrowed from a local news website.

Storm2.jpg

storm.jpg

storm1.jpg

My biggest concern was that the water would be chocolate milk. As it turned out, my concern was somewhat justified. The water levels were fine because this particular is controlled by Ontario Power Generation, rather than mother nature. But what is normally a crystal clear river had only about 2 feet of visibility because of runoff.

This is normally a trickle that leads into the river.

Falls.jpg

Anyways, my step son Pete and I were there and tried to make the best of it. Despite the conditions, it was a rather nice day to be out in the boat anyways.

Scene1.jpg

Fishing was tough. We only managed to catch a few Lake Trout and a surprise Walleye. The Steelhead that we were looking for were nowhere to be found, although we lost several fish that we didn't get a look at. Perhaps we had a Steelhead or two on the line, but who knows. The Lakers were scrappy fish that averaged a few pounds.

Laker1.jpg

One of the Lakers had a Lamprey attached to him. Damn, I hate those things.

Laker2.jpg

Here it appears to be smiling at me. But I got the last laugh.

Lamprey1.jpg

The highlight of the day was seeing two Moose swimming across the river not too far from the boat. As I motored around a corner in the river, I saw two objects in the water that I knew didn't belong there. At first I thought that it was a couple of logs, as there was lots of debris in the river from the rain. Soon after I realized that it was a couple of one year old twins. It's always nice to see a Moose or two. I was impressed with their power as they swam across the heavy current with ease.

Moose2.jpg

Moose1.jpg

All in all, it was a pretty good day.

Dan, thanks a lot for posting those pictures. That was some serious water you got there, I recall your post announcing 8 cm of rain, that's gotta be plenty.

Lampreys make me think of that Star Trek episode with the planet eater. I hate em.

doomsday.jpg

What fantastic photo's of the moose Dan. Even if I didn't catch any fish that would have made my day :thumbsup_anim:

Those local station pics sure tell a story. Just shows you how strong mum nature can be when she wants too.

Great report.

Joey

Cool stuff Dan. I was suppose to fish the Kam (River near Dan's area for those of you knot familiar) Saturday but we bailed when we saw the huge current and the massive amount of trees and shrubbery being dragged along in the current. Gonna give a different rivera a shot tonight before I fly back tommorrow, fingers crosed.

Thanks for the replies people. Sean. I had a look at the Kam on Friday night. What a mess. I wonder how the fish can survive in that mud. The rain was much needed though. Lake Superior is down about 8 inches last I heard. This will help.

Great report Dan good to see some young moose around.

Water is high here too

Rainy River is up about 6-7feet right now

Makes for a little tougher fishing but great for cruising..don't have to worry about any rocks just the odd log

floating downstream