Ethanol Treatment for Marine Motors.....

ccmtcanada

There have been a few threads in the past while about how ethanol is harmful to boat motors. Since mine is a 25 year old Mercury, I was a little concerned about using gas from the local stations. Some members even called local stations to find out if their gas contained ethanol...and if so, how much?

I was in Canadian Tire tonight and found this product and I bought it....figured I'd give it a try....anyone else hear of this? I don't remember it coming up in those old threads....maybe this is an inexpensive way to counter the effects of ethanol. I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't say "marine" on it.

ethanol.jpg

:spam: LOL!

Didn't even know that there was such a product ccmt. Might be worth giving it a shot. Does it say anything about not voiding warranties on new motors?

I'll check...and if it's not on the packaging, I'll ask the buyer tomorrow!

I put normal sta-bil in every tank of gas, in every 2 stroke I own. I've never seen this stuff before, but I've never had any problems whatsoever regarding fuel. It doesn't sit long in my tank though.

Sinker

:spam: LOL!

Didn't even know that there was such a product ccmt. Might be worth giving it a shot. Does it say anything about not voiding warranties on new motors?

From their web site:

Is MARINE Formula STA-BIL® Ethanol Treatment safe to use?

MARINE Formula STA-BIL is completely safe to use in any engine powered by gasoline, gasoline/oil mixtures, and ethanol blends. It contains no additives that could harm a fuel tank or fuel lines, or an engine, fuel injectors or intake valves. Use of STA-BIL will not void any engine warranty. In addition, over treatment is safe and will not harm engine.

Personaly I am just finishing my first bottle of this stuff

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/

pricey but seems to work...hard to find too.. had to special order from West Marine...some Marinas have it but not one close to me.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

I saw an add for this product in the June/July 2008 issue of Musky Hunter Magazine (page 83). This is supposed to counter-act many of the effects of Ethenol. Double the corosion inhibitors and more cleaning additives - as the advertisement claims. Thought about picking up a bottle.

Gotta love these people. They throw a component into the fuel they sell you that's potentially harmful to your motor then turn around and market another product to help combat the ill effects of the additive. God bless their pointy lil' ears.

Ethanol has been in our fuels for the last few years. ANYONE having problems up until now with the fuels we have been using ? ? ? I didn't think so.

Use it if it makes you feel better. Some like a lighter pocket book. Me, I'm going to just follow the course I set with my outboard that is 23 years old and running just like the day I purchased it :)

BTW there are also fuel additives out there for your towing machine you can waste your money on. NOT me, I already spend enough money on fuel.

OH, almost forgot to mention you can also waste a ton of hard earned cash on motor oil additives that will really mess up your engine.

Cliff if the fuel doesn't sit in your tank for more than 2 weeks at a time you should be fine, but for periods of storage any longer you start to get phase seperation of the ethanol/fuel cocktail and it sounds like this is what the newer stabil treatment is addressing, also when phase seperation occours it forms a gel in the bottom of the tank, do a visual on your tank (guessing it's an external tank).

i would put it in for storage periods but if your actively usuing your boat everyweekend you should be fine

I use stabilizer in EVERY can of gas that I bring home. I have seen the mess that stale gas can make of a motor, everything from plugged jets, stuck valves, and baddly gummed up carbs. If you are't going to use it within 4 weeks add stabilizer, it will save you a lot on money in the long run. Remember that old add for (I think it was Fram) oil filters "you can pay me now or you can pay me later", I'd rather pay a little now than pay for a costly repair later.

I personally swear by Seafoam. It is a great ring free product and also a great stabilizer. I have read tons on this product as I am a huge sceptic on additives but I now swear by this stuff. I did a decarbon treatment on my 98 yamaha and boy o boy I thought it ran great before the idle was so smooth for a 25 hp. I can troll down to 1.8mph for eyes and the thing doesn't shake rattle and roll like most 25's would. Cliff I remember reading that you were having some issues with your motor. I would recommend doing a decarbon treatment on that puppy and you won't believe the transformation you will see. If you need a hand let me know and I can drop by and show how to do the treatment. It will clean the carb as well as any carbon deposits inside the motor which 2 strokes are notorious for because of there combustion.

Cheers

Geoff

Edited by GNODDY

I personally swear by Seafoam. It is a great ring free product and also a great stabilizer. I have read tons on this product as I am a huge sceptic on additives but I now swear by this stuff. I did a decarbon treatment on my 98 yamaha and boy o boy I thought it ran great before the idle was so smooth for a 25 hp. I can troll down to 1.8mph for eyes and the thing doesn't shake rattle and roll like most 25's would.

I agree. The stuff is awesome. I did the same with mine, and its running better than it ever has before. I still put sta-bil in every tank of 2 stroke gas though. It can't hurt, so why not.

Where can we buy Seafoam in Canada? I have heard about it from the Hull Truth web forum as well. The offshore outboard CC crowd seems to swear by it.

Most NAPA auto parts shops have it, or can get it if you ask for it. I got mine at the one in Lindsay. They had to order it in.

Sinker

Most NAPA auto parts shops have it, or can get it if you ask for it. I got mine at the one in Lindsay. They had to order it in.

Sinker

its on sale at my local napa...40% off...that means 7$...dont know what it does about ethanol