tipping and charters

scuro

I get it...every job/business has expenses.

But you dont need a $150,000 boat or $500 rod/reel combos, or dual 250 gallon gas tanks to have a guiding service.

Thats your choice to go that big.

Plus...the $350 was for 1/2 a day, not a full day.

Stoty: Let me stand up for the charter guys here. ( and i am NOT an investor in a charter company either! lol)

I am NOT sure you DO "get it".

You signature on your posts suggest that you are web developer. Do u own your own business too then?

And if so, let's take a flying guess here on YOUR rates as a web developer:

$75.00/hr?

Not very far off $350.00 divided by four hours now is it?

Now lets take a look at estimated rates/hour for the following (self employed with all its associated risks):

Auto mechanics - Plumbers and Electricians - Heat and Air con guys - Carpenters - Tile setters

About $75/hour on average. :whistling:

Keep on tipping these guys.. they make our lives better and they are about as appreciated,by some, as the FULL TIME DISHWASHER at a fine dining restaurant. ( No disrespect to the dishwashers either)

God bless the GOOD charter captains and their crews.

Splashhopper

Edited by splashhopper

Stoty I hope you are doing this for laughs and don't really feel that the charters are making money hand over fist. To snub the mate is to hurt someone who makes less than minimum wage and relies on his good performance as to how well he is paid. Would you design web pages for $6.00 an hour and a tip if they are happy with the end product? Thats a pretty big risk since your industry doesn't usually get tips. Their are still a few places were tips are still an acceptable practice such as mate on a boat. If the captain had to pay a flat rate to the mate then it would drive the cost of the trip up and he would not be competitive with the other boats at the marina. The mate would then be a employee with all of the business expenses associated with that. Allot of mates here in the states work only for the tip and a chance to run the boat and finally get their captains licenses. So stiffing the mate is basically telling him he is not doing a job worth rewarding no matter how hard he works to please you.

I usually don't tip the captain of a vessel I rely on his good business practices to make a living with my help advertising for a job well done. The mates that work the deck are a different story. I have seen mates that work their butts off to get the rigs out and the fish into the boat and I have seen the ones that do nothing but grump. Guess which one gets the tip. I don't tie the tip into how many fish are brought aboard because it is up to the skipper as to were he is going to fish not the mate. The mate that gets the lines out and changes the baits if they arn't producing gets a good tip. The mate that also is happy, has a few good stories, brings me a bottle of water gets a great tip. It's not about flashing money to say I can buy and sell you it's about making his day as good as he has made yours. It is rare that when I return to a charter the mate does not remember me because I treated him with the respect he earns and a tip that makes his life alittle more profitable.

You can also equate this to any place you lodge at it is after all just a land based ship in my opinion.

Art

I have to admit I got halfway through page one, then skipped ahead to see where all this was going --- I would wholeheartedly agree with Art and Splashopper's comments. The cheapest way to guarantee a boatload of fish is to head to the grocery store :wallbash:

Maybe I'm on the wrong track here, but I was under the greatest impression that a "tip" or "tips" were a gratuity "to insure promptness" or "to insure prompt service" that service normally provided by the waiter/waitress. It seems like the hairdresser, the manicurist, and a host of others "should" all get a tip. What about your car mechanic that keeps your wheels turnin' or heaven forbid the Doctor that keeps you healthy, heck he should get the biggest tip. If those that can't pay their bills and employees on what they charge, then maybe they should charge more up front and quit bothering us with outstretched palms. If I take a charter and catch a fish, I've paid for the trip, if I don't catch any fish, ya don't see no return of funds for lousy conditions(fish not biting) Just a thought. :whistling:

I dont think a tip is necessary at all. He is making his money, and obviously enough to be happy with it.

IMO

The Captain gets the price of the charter, the mate/deckhand gets the tip (if there is one).

We pay our mate Gill $240 USD for a 12 hr. trip out on the Gulf of Mexico. We pay the Captain $1600 for the charter.

Gill works his butt off taking care of 6 anglers, and is a very nice guy! He deserves every penny of it. Mates work for low wages and count on the tips for a large part of their earnings.

OK, I think you all know I am a Yankee and we are at times known to be big tippers, at least that is what I have heard. I myself have my own standards that I was taught.

TIPPING is at most times used to add income to a minimum wage employee like a waitress. However, that does not guarantee a tip from me. For good service from a waitress a 15% tip is what I give. Anything less than good service the tip could go down to 10% or ZERO.

Now at a classy restaurant 20% if the waiter is pouring our wine and doing the other services that is expected from a classy restaurant.

We have a coffee shop diner that the wife and I occasionally have breakfast at. That restaurant now has a 20% recommend tip calculation figured in at the bottom of the bill. I think it is a INSULT to me and have expressed my views to the restaurant about it. I am NOT going to pay 20% at a coffee shop and if the waitress think they should be getting more money then go to college and earn it as I am still paying my sons college bills.

Now with all that said, if the first mate is working his butt off I wouldn't hesitate to tip 15-20% to him. If no first mate then I would tip the captain. If you EVER expect to use that charter boat again and don't tip, believe me they will remember you and you will NOT get the extra effort that is sometimes need to have a special day on the water.

A captain will remember the better customers and make special arrangements to accommodate this customer the next time he calls at the spur of the moment for reservations. It might be YES I think I can make a opening for you if I can switch a few things around. OR it might be call me back in 3 weeks when the fishing is better. Both time you will appreciate his extra efforts as he appreciate your gratitude the last time you spent time together on the water.

BTW Stoty, you're young and you will see the light as time goes on. If not you will be labeled as a cheap dude by many and not only by charter captains.

Bob

In todays age of crappy service pretty much anywhere - If you are happy why not tip? Let somebody know you appreciate the above and beyond.

Unless you are doing it for the love of it, how many people would actually do a day's work for less than $200.00 take home on freelance work (whatever it is)? This is different from a salary or 40/hr week thing. You need to make enough money on the days you work to offset the days you don't so I can see the daily rate.

Stoty: Let me stand up for the charter guys here. ( and i am NOT an investor in a charter company either! lol)

I am NOT sure you DO "get it".

You signature on your posts suggest that you are web developer. Do u own your own business too then?

And if so, let's take a flying guess here on YOUR rates as a web developer:

$75.00/hr?

Not very far off $350.00 divided by four hours now is it?

Now lets take a look at estimated rates/hour for the following (self employed with all its associated risks):

Auto mechanics - Plumbers and Electricians - Heat and Air con guys - Carpenters - Tile setters

About $75/hour on average. :whistling:

Keep on tipping these guys.. they make our lives better and they are about as appreciated,by some, as the FULL TIME DISHWASHER at a fine dining restaurant. ( No disrespect to the dishwashers either)

God bless the GOOD charter captains and their crews.

Splashhopper

I have to take exception to one thing you said.... any auto mechanics I know DON'T make 75.00 bucks an hour.... the garage does not the mechanic.

If the mate makes *$ an hour thats say 80$ for a long day.....tipping him 60$ seems a bit high. $20-$40 if they kick butt?

A self respecting captain would be embarrassed by a cash tip. A captain owns the boat and business. He will hike the price if its required, the guy does not need your charity and has a vested interest in doing his best every time for the sake of the business. I do not know from experience but from the sounds of it here he might be making a better living than most.

When I do computer work for people I do not think I should get a tip for doing a good and fast job. I get paid the set rate.....no tips welcome.

Whats next? Tipping mechanics? The plumber?

Just my opinion.

forrest

Edited by forrest

I have to take exception to one thing you said.... any auto mechanics I know DON'T make 75.00 bucks an hour.... the garage does not the mechanic.

umm... maybe read what I put in brackets>>

"Now lets take a look at estimated rates/hour for the following (self employed with all its associated risks):

Auto mechanics - Plumbers and Electricians - Heat and Air con guys - Carpenters - Tile setters "

... BIG difference in risk and costs for self employed trades was my point.

ie: no guaranteed paycheck at end of week... usually no benefits...Fully self paid retirement... pays own business and disability insurance... not entitled to Unemployment Insurance benefits in slow times... can be difficult getting mortgages and auto loans etc.

Splashhopper

And if so, let's take a flying guess here on YOUR rates as a web developer: $75.00/hr?

You're flying in the wrong direction! My rates arent even close to that.

Didnt mean to start anything in this thread, I just dont see the need to tip when you're already paying them about $100/hr to take you fishing.

Sorry if a few of you took offense to that, but its my opinion.

Dan - you tip them because they make less than minimum wage. Thats a far cry from $100/hr.

But again, just my opinion. Dont mean to ruffle any feathers.

OK, I think you all know I am a Yankee and we are at times known to be big tippers, at least that is what I have heard. I myself have my own standards that I was taught.

Bob, yanks are known to not tipping very well at all :) A few of my friends in the service industry can attest to this, lol

Art, well said... to the others who have obviously not ever taken out a charter, have not worked a charter and have no insight into the business... you have shown you ignorance on the topic... perhaps you should hold back your comments, until you've actually experienced it!

Every charter I've been on I have seen how hard they folks work and have seen the cash outlay they have made in order to provide the customers with the best possible fishing experience.

Funny, I have a good buddy who charters and he tells me his business is driven mainly by the good folks south of the border, mainly because Canadians just can't wrap their head around paying to go fishing... which seems to be verified by many on this thread.

HH

PS... I for one certainly prefer the $150,000.00 boat, when I'm out on Lake O in 5 footers!

OK, I'm not going to reply to any specific post here, but, I think that some of us are missing the point.

Tipping, in my humble opinion, is a reward, or a thanks, for a job well done, and...........certainly, is discretionary. Not as an incentive for better service now or in the future. That in itself automatically assumes that one expects the service will be less than excellent.

A mate on a charter generally works his or her tail off to make "your" day enjoyable. If they don't they generally don't last more than a trip or two. If they do, they are certainly worth 15% of the cost of the day.

I tip relatively well in restaurants, if the service deserves it. If it does not then I don't. I over-tip breakfast waitresses. In general they get stiffed by the majority and by the restaurant owners when tips are left on credit card transactions. I have seen a waitress work her butt off to serve a table of 8 or 10 breakfast then get $5.00 at the end of it.

I'll start of by saying I've never been on a charter. I've considered it many times, because I think it would be a great experience. The reason I haven't gone is the price. Lets face it, it's expensive to get out there on a charter, and rightly so, the captain needs to pay for boat, dockage, equipment, gas, etc. Prior to this thread I didn't even consider leaving a tip at the end of a good day. Consider that what you will, whether it be ignorance of inexperience. I understand those who are supporting the mate getting a tip and I respect that, and understand. However it does discourage me even further from taking a charter. Suddenly it's expected that I tack on another 10-20% of my trip cost.... that could be another $150, unfortunately my fixed income doesn't allow for that. I guess it just means that before taking a charter trip, I have to make sure I have lots of extra cash.

Now I'm not griping about tipping the first mate, as it might seem, I can appreciate them deserving a tip. I do, however, find this whole tipping system to be getting out of hand. It used to be that the waitress, hairdresser, delivery guy and a few select jobs that got tips. Anymore I find people are asking for, or getting tips that are completely undeserved. I'm talking about the tip cup at a convenience store (yes I've seen them) or at a take out restaurant. I think it's getting a little ridiculous to be honest. my personal favorite is when you are put in a place where you feel obliged to tip, i.e. the hotel worker who insists on taking your bags to your room, even though you are more than capable/willing to do it yourself.

just my opinion, sorry for the rant.

-fwf

Bob, yanks are known to not tipping very well at all :) A few of my friends in the service industry can attest to this, lol

HUH, I have seen, experience and heard the complete opposite. And in Europe I hear that you can't squeeze out a nickel from them folks.

Maybe their service is not up to standards to the those Yanks who are not tipping well. Are you referring to restaurant people or some other kind of service ?

HUH, I have seen, experience and heard the complete opposite. And in Europe I hear that you can't squeeze out a nickel from them folks.

Maybe their service is not up to standards to the those Yanks who are not tipping well. Are you referring to restaurant people or some other kind of service ?

Many other cultures see tipping as an insult, perhaps thats why Europeans seem fickle...

Europeans don't tip much in their own countries because in some countries tipping is factored into the price. They may tip above and beyond that if the service is excellent. Now that I have put that totally off topic post to bed...can we get back to the topic at hand?

Personally I'd like to only hear from those who work in the industry or use charters frequently.

Europeans don't tip much in their own countries because in some countries tipping is factored into the price. They may tip above and beyond that if the service is excellent. Now that I have put that totally off topic post to bed...can we get back to the topic at hand?

Personally I'd like to only hear from those who work in the industry or use charters frequently.

I think that you have got comments on tipping on charters from a pretty good cross section scuro. On a thread like this you can expect some detours and can't expect to dictate to us what and what not you would like to hear!

WHAT more can be said that hasn't already been said other than if you don't tip don't ever use that charter boat again, cheapskate :)

You asked :whistling:

Like I said, I have been chartering for 4 years. I have spent a LOT of time on the water learning fish movements and patterns. In 4 years, I can honestly say I have not had a client go fishless. This is because of time spent out there, which although enjoyable, is not cheap. I have set rates, which get me by, but I am definitely not insulted by tipping, especially when it comes time for tuition payment.