Sturgeon Lake Report - Fished with Sinker!

ccmtcanada

This story starts on Friday night. Bly started a chat, and a few of the regulars showed up, as well as Sinker. We've been a little bummed lately....our motor has been giving us fits, and the weather forecast for the weekend was stormy and windy for Saturday and just plain windy for Sunday...not that it mattered....the boat motor was an issue.

Anyhow, Sinker, thinking Saturday was a write off anyways, offered to come down to our place to help us out with the motor. After literally 3 minutes, he says to pull the cord and the darned thing starts right up!! A quick phone call with BITEME assured us that there were a few things that we could do with the motor that would get us all set up and tuned quickly and inexpensively! Already the weekend is getting better!

Sinker then says he has to head back home because he wants to install his trailer hitch...which has been giving him fits...nothing seems to be going right with the installation. He says he's itching to get it done because he wants to get his boat on the water. I figured, he was good enough to come down here, so I offered to tow his boat to Sturgeon Lake, where he keeps it in a slip. He replies "Well, if we're doing that, then we're going fishing!!". Good enough for us! We called a close friend hoping that she'd take our little one for the day/night....and as luck would have it, it wasn't a problem.

The weather was bright and sunny and down right warm! The weatherman is never right.....

We headed up to Sinker's place, picked up the boat and were on the water at about 330 in the afternoon. We waved at Big Cliff as we passed his place and headed off to start fishing. Suddenly, we hear thunder...turn around and we are greeted with this....

01stormysky.jpg

Luckily, that storm went to the south of us and we were spared! The sun came back out. We were targeting walleye, so when Sinker landed this little one, we had to take a pic....it's bad luck for us to NOT take that first pic, because you know if we didn't it would be the only fish all day long....LOL.

01asinkerwalleye.jpg

We contined drifting when Sinker and I have a double header....

02doubleheader.jpg

Here's a nice eater sized one....

03cliffwalleye.jpg

Bly gets her second ever Kawartha walleye....

04carolewalleye.jpg

Near the end of the outing, Bly asks Sinker where he'd look for Crappie on this lake....and he tells us a few spots to check out.....a few minutes later, she catches this guy....hehe.

05carolecrappie.jpg

We also saw this guy fishing with a HUGE tiller....close examination shows it's a huge 175hp monster! We took this pic for Greencoachdog....LOL.

06175hptiller.jpg

The rains started up at around 8:30 so we decided to call it a day. We had to pick up our little one by 10pm...so it was perfect timing!

Here's the haul for our fish dinner tomorrow night.

07moneyshot.jpg

We were hoping to stop in at Big Cliff's to say hi, but we had to boot out of there to get our little one....next time we'll stop in for sure!

Anyhow, early Friday evening, Bly and I were in crabby moods....but the entire weekend turned completely around! Sinker is a GREAT guy to fish with....and I'd fish with him anytime! (hint hint Sinker....whenever you need/want someone in your boat, you have our number....LOL).

Edited by ccmt

Nice report Cliff!

Your both welcome back any time. Honestly, it was my pleasure. I"m sure we'll hit the water a few times this summer. It was a great way to turn around the weekend, that's for sure!!

Enjoy that meal, they'll be delicious!!

Sinker

Glad to see that you finally got into some walleye. I was kind of keeping a watch on the sky and wondering if it would blow around us or not, glad to see that it did.

Sinker, next time you have something like that to work on, give me a shout, I've got all the tools even a portable compressor so there isn't much I can't fix.

Cliff, I thought your motor problems were sorted out after your last trip up here or I would have happly looked at it for you too. Glad to hear that Sinker was able to fix it for you.

Sue and I were wondering if you might stop in after your fishing was done, we even got a new coffee maker ;) LOL.

Great report and pics!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Good on the Sinker dude for takin' the time to check out your motor for ya!!! :thumbsup_anim: Those construction worker type hoser/rednecks come in handy sometimes. ;)

Those look like some nice Kawartha Pickerals, and should make for some dandy fine eats! :P

Looks like y'all are gettin' the hang of "boat fishin'"... lookin' forward to some great reports!!! :canadian:

Glad to see that you finally got into some walleye. I was kind of keeping a watch on the sky and wondering if it would blow around us or not, glad to see that it did.

Sinker, next time you have something like that to work on, give me a shout, I've got all the tools even a portable compressor so there isn't much I can't fix.

Cliff, I thought your motor problems were sorted out after your last trip up here or I would have happly looked at it for you too. Glad to hear that Sinker was able to fix it for you.

Sue and I were wondering if you might stop in after your fishing was done, we even got a new coffee maker ;) LOL.

Hey Big Cliff,

I was going to turn the boat around and come by your dock when I saw you out there. Then I looked at the sky and figured we'd better try and get a drift in before the rain came.......then stop by. We got lucky with the rain, and ended up running out of time for a visit. I"m sure we'll be seeing each other a few more times in the near future :)

I'm off to my BIL's place now........he's the metal guy.......shouldn't be a problem getting this hitch on. Thanks for the offer!!!

As for Cliff and Carole's motor......it was just little choke issue. I knew what the problem was when he described what was happening in chat. Rather than try to explain it in chat, I figured it would be easier to just go over and have a look. I got over there, primed the bulb......didn't touch the choke, gave it a pull and it fired right up.......LOL. The choke setting was too rich, and was flooding it out. I didn't do a thing......LOL.......seems to be running great now!

It was a great afternoon on the water though......great way to turn around a "rainy day". :)

Can't wait until next weekend :) The real fishing starts saturday morning :thumbsup_anim:

Sinker

Ok Ok...now that you have working coffee maker, we'll stop in next time....LOL.

See you on Sunday Big Cliff....Sydney is already excited about seeing you guys again. :)

Good on you Sinker for getting Cliff's motor going!!!

The fishing gods were kind to you, Kawartha walleye, and a few of them!! I'm still trying to hook into one!!! I've caught everything else the Kawartha's have to offer but no 'eyes!!!

I'll bring the net if you let me join you next time. :whistling: nice report.

Oh man.....I hope you washed the curse off that thing!!! Your more than welcome to join me anytime bud, you've got my number!!

Did you pick up one of those lucky spinner baits yet :whistling::thumbsup_anim:

Sinker