What Line Do You Use?

muskymike

Line Choice for Pike  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Line Choice

• Fluorocarbon
    • Braid
    • Mono

I know this is an ongoing topic and everyone has there own opinions, but there really never has been or never will be a clear "Best Choice". I know everyone uses different lines, but I thought I would throw this out there to see if I can get a better idea of what everyone else is using.

For my Pike set up I usually use Mono, Musky strictly braid. Never used Fluoro before as Line, only for leaders.

I am going to re-spool my 3 ultra lights, and 5 cast and spinning rods. For my pike set up I am undecided though. I almost bought some PowerPro yesterday but then I put it down and thought maybe Fluoro. I figured I would wait to see what you guys have to say about what to use for lighter set ups.

I hope I can get some results from this.

Thanks,

I don't think the poll will show you anything as most people use different lines for different applications. For example, I use braid and mono for different types of fishing. I also use fluoro but only as leaders.

8' muskie setup has 50lb PPro...

6'9 muskie jerkbait setup is running 50lb Spiderwire Ultracast..

Everyday m/h bass/pike baitcasting setup runs 20lb Spiderwire.

Medium action spinning runs 6lb Fireline.

80-100 lb braid & 30lb single strand wire (AKA shoal crasher) on muskie setups

50 lb braid on pike/bass baitcasters, 30lb on spinning

walleye/trout rods get 6-8 lb mono

dipsy/planer boards get 14lb mono

ice fishn, 4-8 lb mono

leaders; generally fluoro from 8-130lbs, I use wire as well.

Edited by Raf

Pike aren't the least bit line shy, or even lure size shy for that matter, and we can't keep the little fools off our 65-80 # Power Pro & 10-12" baits on Nippissing.

They're just as much of a nuisance on Quinte trolling for night time pickeral and anybody that says pike don't bite at night hasn't spent enuff time on the water :lol::lol:

Use whatever the heck you want and you'll catch pike, even when they're the last fish in the world you want in your boat :lol::wallbash::wallbash::lol:

I fish for Crappie, on 10# Power pro on drop shot type spinning rods.

Bass on the same spinning rods/line for Senko's, drop-shot and shaky head jigs.

Generally I'll use 15 or 20 pound PP for tubes, swim-baits, Flukes, etc. The 10# is only the diameter of 2 pound test so it doesn't like a lot of abrasion.

My casting rods all have 30 pound PP or Fireline. Power Pro is much finer, but I got a great deal on 30# Fireline one time and can't wear it out...hahaha. I have a spool of the new Spiderwire, Ultracast, Invisi-braid in 30# test. The first spool I had was crap! It broke in mid-air for no apparent reason. Real Fishing sent me a new spool, but I have yet to try it...

I don't really have a Pike outfit. Since I sold off all my Musky equipment, I use my Bass gear with a wire leader. I will use the same set-up if I go out for Musky this summer. No doubt I will land a few Musky while bass fishing, you can't keep them off a spinnerbait some days.

FYI you don't generally have a problem with Musky up to about 40 inches biting off a spinnerbait while Bass fishing, because the extra long hook goes through their top jaw and the teeth ride back and forth on the hook shank.

Those Musky rods I sold had 80# Power Pro or Tuff Line XP on them because my 2R's bucktails weighed up to 3 ounces and could snap off 65# braided line, ditto for Sledge's etc...but at least the Sedge floats...HAHAHA.

As an aside...

Last winter I received a spool of 12 pound Trilene XL in the mail as part of a promotion. I put it on a Calcutta 50, a fine little bait-casting reel that I don't think they make anymore. I used this set-up to throw tiny crank-baits that otherwise would have had to go on the spinning rod . This was the first time I had spooled mono since the year 2000.

I honestly couldn't believe how bad it was! On a hook-set, it stretched like a bungee cord. There was no popping it off a snag, or ripping it through weeds, because I couldn't get any leverage. I couldn't feel the lures, and had to check twice to detect a strike!

The only thing I found useful was I could bow-and-arrow it off stump, or humps and it makes great backing.

Garry2R's

On most of my set ups, braid line as the main line then a fluorocarbon leader. I have one spinning reel spooled with 4 lb fluoro on my river rod that helped with landing a 22 lb chinny.

Over all, it does really depend on what your target species is and the conditions you think you will be encountering. Conditions such as water clarity, abrasive structure, temperature, etc.

In my limited fishing experience, fluoro tends to be more brittle when it gets cold. Mono does well, braid is good but builds up water to ice the guides more.

I use 20 pound mono on a stout bass baitcasting outfit. I usually use lures that are larger than bass-sized, maybe large bass or small muskie sized lures around 3/4 to 2 ounces, so this setup lets me cast all day comfortably. I don't use braid mainly because of its cost. If I had it on, I'd be likely to baby it more than I should. Plus I enjoy catching the odd bass and walleye on it, and I'm not sure how line shy they are.

This is great guys. Thanks, I hope the results keep coming in.

I use 80# and 100# PowerPro on my Musky outfits.

Bass I like light gear for small mouth and use 6lb mono.

Pike traditionally I have used 12 or 14# Mono but I am looking to try something new.

Thanks and keep the input flowing. This will help out a lot more people as well I think.

Berkley Trilene 4 lb XT for crappie and perch...

Berkley Trilene 6 lb XT for bass and pickerel...

Berkley Trilene 8 lb XT for bass...

Berkley Trilene 17 lb XT for carp with 12 lb Berkley Vanish for tieing hair rigs and for leader material if needed for Carolina rigging...

Have tried Spiderwire and Fireline over the years but always come back to mono...with the exception of the outfit I use once a year to troll for musky on opening day...(Fireline)

When Im fishing jerk baits I will go power pro Braid.When dropshot or tube or spinner baits,I will go with Floroclear made by P-Line.

Those are the only two lines I use.

Never had an issue.

For bows and specks and salmon (river fishing) I still use pink or green Ande line.

P line flouro clear and I gotta say its pretty good stuff(almost as good as XL).

Oh man I beg to differ on that. I find it much more better. Yes poor english there.LOL

Knots are tighter,the line does not curl or twist. To me it is the best bang for the buck. IMO

Oh man I beg to differ on that. I find it much more better. Yes poor english there.LOL

Knots are tighter,the line does not curl or twist. To me it is the best bang for the buck. IMO

I like the fluoroclear too. I always used Trilene XT ......for as long as I can remember. I tried the fluoroclear last year icefishing, and have been using it ever since.

I only use braid on casting reels, and mostly for musky/pike. I tried it last week on whities in simcoe, and it worked great, great hooksets, and feel.....but my bud using fluoroclear outfished me 2:1. I changed rods, and caught up using the fluoroclear.

Sinker