How we spent our Saturday....

ccmtcanada

After Headhunter's thread about weekend plans, I thought I'd share what we did for a good chunk of the day. The wind forecast was a little iffy, but we wanted to get out and maybe drop a line or two to see if anything was swimming around. It was a toss up between Lake Simcoe...or Lake Ontario. Fish everywhere else is pretty much closed for now.

Anyhow, we decided on Lake O, since the launch is only about 10 minutes away from the house. I'd hate to drive over an hour to Simcoe, only to turn back around if the conditions were too bad. They were only forecasting winds of about 15 to 20km/h locally with waves described as negligible, so I was hoping it would be fine. This was also my young daughter's first time in the boat, and we didn't know how long she'd actually last....and again, since we were only 10 minutes from home, it seemed like the right choice.

We got to the launch at the crack of 11am. An uneventful launch had us out there in just a few minutes time. As we got further down the marina and into the channel, the winds hit us straight on!

Fishing01.jpg

I was hoping to leave the channel to test the motor at full throttle, but as we got closer to the big lake, whitecaps were everywhere, 3 to 4 footers....one almost came over the front end...and the little one got a bit scared, so we turned around and decided to drift fish in the protected channel and marina. The winds picked up to over 40km/h, so it was more like turbo drifting...LOL. We set our six year old up with a worm and a float. Here she is....reaching for a snack...never taking her eyes off the float...makes a dad proud....hehe.

Fishing02.jpg

Suddenly, while drifting one of Bernie's jigs, I feel a hit! I get ready for a big fight...and it's game on!

Fishing03.jpg

My six year old laughed and laughed and laughed....

Fishing04.jpg

A little while later, I decided to throw a cleo...as we did see some trout patrolling the grounds the evening before...hoping for a dropback....

As it turns out...I feel a big hit...and this time I was fighting a fish. It was a nice sized pike....but since it's out of season, it went back in the water pronto! I stopped throwing spoons at that point...not wanting to accidentally get another one, since it was obvious they were in the area.

It became apparent that we were not going to find many fish where we were, so the girls decided to get comfortable....

Fishing06.jpg

We ended up staying on the water until around 3:30....the little one not getting bored at all. This bodes well for many trips to the Kawarthas once the season opens!

Anyhow, had a great time out there...could have done without the wind and waves, but what can ya do? We just made the best out of it.

Edited by ccmt

I just loved that report and with a little time the mixed genes of your daughter will combine both your fishing talents and then

watch out cause junior lady is going to out fish you both.

Boat is looking good I noticed the saly rod holder got to love them.

One thing I found with my son Ryan when he was young when he had enough I would pull up anchor

and Leave now days he gets upset when we call it a day.

So where is those cup holders?

Great pics of you and the wimmins :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing::clapping:

Edited by Mike the Pike

Way to get out there Cliff!!! Looks like you's had lots of fun. It was a beautiful day to be out anyways.....fish are just a bonus!!

I launched for the first time of the season today too.......not a hitch......everthing worked perfectly, motor fired right up, and we got into some fish. Simcoe was mint where we were.......my son had a blast!!

P4180001.jpg

Sinker