Grand River Channel Cats!

Minnow

Hey guys

Headed out yesterday in hope of some steelhead but all I ended up with was this HUGE sucker! Not as bad as it sounds since that sucker was put to good use today!

SuckerHuge.jpg

Today got up early and headed to the Dunnville Dam in search of some big channel cats!

Launched the boat and was on the water by 9:30 AM and cut up the sucker from the previous day and used huge chunks of meat on 5/0 hook with a 2 oz sinker in the current. I had 50 lb braid with a 30 lb florocarbon leader. Cast out the huge rig on my Ugly Stick Catfish Specialty rod and waited a total of about 5 min until something smacked the bait and started to take line, FISH ON and its a nice one wasn't a long fight though since my equipment could probably land 100 lb catfish but still a nice fight. Not a giant but a good one I rebaited and cast out again and not 5 min and Fish on AGAIN! This time a nicer one so I hand the rod to my grandpa to fight the fish and he was impressed with the power of these cats! This kind of action continued for about 2 hour and landed 8 big channel cats! After that all we were getting were little guys which were 1-3 lb range. Overall counting the smaller catfish landed about 20 catfish between me and my grandpa which is not a bad day on the water especially when its a weekday! Here are the pics of a few of the fish!

Catfish4.jpg

Catfish3.jpg

Catfish1.jpg

Catfish2-1.jpg

yet another awesome cat report from the grand....I really have never got into them that size before but judging by the sheer size and muscle they pack, these things must bulldog like no other...... I just made sense of relating a catfish to a bulldog some how <_< LOL

Nice report.....

Edited by jdmls