Perchin In Barrie

fishinfool

I got out yesterday to Barrie.

I have been hearing so much about the perch up there that I decided to take a run up.

I have never seen so many perch in one area in my life.

They are, for the most part small ones but I got a couple worthy of the pan and had them

for a snack when I got home last night.

If anyone is thinking of going, now is the time.

Only took a shot of the docks from the truck when I was leaving.

HPIM0654__Small_.JPG

Went there last thursday and we caught 25 9-12 inchers. Met pikie there too. The pic is of a 12 incher from that day. Today I went there again, the bite and schools just disappeared. The slight change in cold weather may have spooked them who knows. Hopefully we can get some ice. And yea the bigger ones are on bottom and away from the schools in deeper water.

Tight lines

Perch.jpg

Edited by Fishersquige

Let's hope we don't wind up singin' the same song our East coast comrades sang about the Cod fishery.

Of course we will, at least thats where the smart money is. I can just hear the laments now " Oh, there used to be millions of them here, a never ending supply, I dont know what happened!!" Blaming everything but ourselves.

I was up in Barrie for some perchin today too. Never seen so many people fishin in such a small area, and on a cold windy day too (-12 wind chill off the lake). There are certainly some perch still there but not many big ones and even the small ones won't be there for long with that kind of pressure. I caught about 20 perch in 4hrs, all 7-9 inches and all released to fight another day or another hour before someone else catches them and puts them in a white bucket! I wish people wouldn't take as many fish as they do - It may be legal for keeping up to 50 but i'm sure its not sustainable when you consider how many people are doing it. Put them back and let others have the chance to experience the fun of fishing/catching too. Just my opinion.

Edited by OO7

I took a walk down there today and the fishing seemed to be quite slow for most people. Earlier I was talking to the bait-man at Simcoe bait and tackle and he was saying he has seen people purchase bait nearly every day for the past few weeks. He fears they are taking their 50 each day...I believe him. Sad that some can't respect a resource

I took a walk down there today and the fishing seemed to be quite slow for most people. Earlier I was talking to the bait-man at Simcoe bait and tackle and he was saying he has seen people purchase bait nearly every day for the past few weeks. He fears they are taking their 50 each day...I believe him. Sad that some can't respect a resource

Hey Rizzo

You mean the same people are buying minnows every day?

I thought there was a law about having only a certain amount of fish at home in the freezer...

We need to get tougher with these people and set examples.

Well rizzo and 007 are right. People are keeping anything and everything. I brought home 25 between two people. At that same day that I was up there some guys were 20 and even 50 fish over their limit and keeping all dinks luckily a c.o. was checking for licenses and spotted them. He confiscated all their tackle and equipement and possibly their licenses. The second time I was up there I couldn't tell you if people were over their limit but a lot of people weren't selective of their catches they were keeping a lot of dinks.

One of the things that upset me when I was there was the fact that you had guys that were obviously down there everyday catching 30-50 fish and taking them home regardless of size (many of which were small and i'm sure get wasted).

Meanwhile there were kids there (the future of fishing) who were obviously depserate to catch just one small fish with their new rod but not being able to, mainly because the number of fish in there was reducing all the time as they were ending up in buckets not back in the water!

Put some back for others to enjoy, I say.

yea people are defiantly keeping anything and everything. i was down there last week and some people were keeping everything from 5 to 10 inchers :( . i was asked by some men why i was tossing back all of the perch under 9 inch, they said it was a waste of some very good meat. i was disgusted seeing this many fish being caught and kept, and then people were also keeping the fish they snaged. there was one guy down there just snaging them :angry::angry: .

i will also be down there today in a few hours, so if anyone is down there watch for the OFC hat and sticker.