Reef Runner crankbaits..

In the next day or two, I'm planning on doing a ridiculous amount of online shopping through the Bass Pro website in preparation for the season ahead. Recently, I've read a lot about Reef Runner crankbaits slaying walleye en masse. Does anyone have any input on the quality/efficiency of these lures? Should I go for the Ripstick? How do they fare when targeting other species like pike, bass and trout? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

They have their time and place for multi-species angling. Some walleye fisheries seem to favour the reef runners while others claim the Taildancer or DeepDiving Huskey Jerk or (insert crankbait brand here) work best.

I have a few of them but I don't swear by them, by any means, but I'm sure some people do. I'd rather have a broad selection of different brands of minnowbaits/stickbaits/crankbaits then just ALL Reef Runners.

That's my 2cents.

Tools, like Ben says better a well rounded inventory than heavy on one unless it is a proven winner for you.

When my dad was young flatfish were the lure of choice for Lake Erie walleye and blue pike, when I fished for them back in the late 70`s early 80`s on Erie a wiggle wart or hot n tot was hard to beat.

Key is probably more to depth control, stick a lure in their face = more bites.

yup. them reef runners work well!

too bad you just missed the sale at bps for the reef runners, $20 for 5.

sometimes these lures don't run correctly, so you might have to fiddle around with it.

i've only used the deep diver ones, didnt tried the ripstick ones.. sorry about that

Reefrunners are good tail dancers are also , heard good things about the shad rap x-raps gonna give them a try , good old shad raps have their days , worm harness , etc. etc. there is no one bait for eyes all have their uses . But ya reefrunners are good get a few in different colors (purple has been good in the sping for me but try different colors for different days ) and give them a go

Should I go for the Ripstick?

Various Reef Runner models work at different depths. According to Precision Trolling, the Ripstick can be trolled down to 11 feet. If that's your target depth, fine. If you anticipate working other depths, you probably should consider other Reef Runner models or other brands of crankbaits.

I have a white deep diving reef runner that has really performed well with catching pike, walleye, and bass. I believe it is the 4-5 inch model. Trolling I can hit 30 feet at 2-2.5 miles. I have tried several other lures but this is the one that outdoes them all.

Is this directed to me? lol

My boss' says I do exellent work around here and I catch an assortment of fish every year.

lol.

Seriously though, reefrunners are very good crankbaits that have a distinctive wobble to them that walleye can't resist. But as was mentioned, there are alot of cranks to choose from and the ripstick should only be part of your arsenal.

I have had success targeting pike with them in the past, casting adjacent to weed beds to intice those ambushing brutes burried in there. Also, try casting along a wind swept shorline. Another bonus is that the action of the bait has a metronome "feel" to it that if you notice it skip a beat good chances you got a strike.

reefrunner

Reefrunners are great. Ripsticks don't run as deep so I don't use them very often for walleye. They both work well with other species however, if you're running into pike you'll need a leader and that'll all but kill the action.

Reef runners do work well but I have found that most need some tuning out of the package. Without further details as far as what body of water, time of year here's my 2 cents on crankbaits for walleye as I could be considered a bit of an addict if you saw my boxes - who doesn't like a good crankbait!!!!

In larger body of water like GB and LO I have had better catch ratio with minnow baits as follows

cold water, spring and fall >>> slimmer baits like reef runners, renoskys, Yozuris. bombers long a, manns

warm water periods >>> bigger shad and perch style bodies perform better, Shad Raps my fave

For inland lakes like the Kawarthas I add fat body baits in the summer too like Fat raps, bombers and

Don't ask colors as you'll get as many opinions as there are reef runner colours

Yes runners rock for sure !!!! :clapping::w00t: theres the smaller deep diver runners as well and they dive to around 15-20ft and in medium sized lakes for walleyes man they work great,the larger size is my quinte favourite,but you have to try several colors and the 2 sizes so pick up a few of each,and make sure you get some natural colors for fishing the clear lakes !!!! cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Reef Runners come in all flavors,thems all delicious

Ben pointed out the true nature of crank baits and fisheries

I will say,my fishery enjoys Reef Runners,it actually out fishes all other cranks,why I am still perplexed but I gave in :)

I'll take a pink lemonade with Fried Chicken on Wonder Bread with Blueberry Muffin for desert while wearing my Cheap Sunglasses under the Blue Hawaiian sun

Edited by marc thorpe