NF Would you Commute 134 Kms a day

holdfast

I am thinking of selling my house and moving out of The North Battleford City to a small town 67 kms North. The advantage would be that it would leave me Morgage free, small town cheaper on Taxes. Another advantage is it would cut my weeknd trips to my fishing Trailer by 40 minutes to 1hr 45 mins. The disadvantage is that my wife works in the City and I in a resort town on the way to the city. In essance, it would take me 30 minutes to work, vice twenty and my wife 40 minutes vice 5 minutes, but we can car pool it. Basically Im cutting out my morgage entirely instead of waiting two years. We figure we could have a similar if not nicer house. Just wondering if you guys would make the same decision, or some experiences. Kids are not involved.

I travel 110kms per day in Toronto rush hour traffic and I dont even have a cottage that's any closer....LOL.

I live that far from work because I cant afford a house in the city....once you do it for a few weeks, you likely wont even notice the drive anymore.

Guest lundboy

You can get some CDs and learn a new language.

I travel 67Km each way, I hate it but what can you do? Might as well do something useful like learn a language. (or something educational)

I was commuting Peterborough to Toronto, about 260 km round trip; for about a year. When you were travelling when there was not alot of traffic on the road it was doable. About an hour and 20 minutes. Alot of people spend that amount of time just getting to work who live in the GTA. Throw in any kind of traffic and it gets awful. So basically it's not the distance that matters so much as the traffic (and the fuel efficiency of your ride). I'd say go for it.

30 to 40 minutes commute is still bearable.... if the increase fuel usage and wear and tear on the vehicle is OK with you then go for it.

I drive about ~250-300Km per day for work, not all in one shot but between customers. If I didn't get paid mileage for it, I would go nuts...

Burt :)

G, you probably pass me or I pass you every day. Look for a Gold/Goldish ahah Silverado with a broken Prop Hitch Cover. Honk as you are passin' haha

Mike, I drive one of two vehicles a white F150 with an OFC sticker, NL sticker and Apple Stocker in the back window... or a black honda with a apple sticker in the rear window... I am usually on the Hwy around 6:30ish am

I work in Vaughan (the Jane St exit) where abouts are you?

G

Thanks guys, kind of helps. Yea Roy, Now you Know why Im always concerned with Gas. Like alot of members already mentioned, We Canadians have it different because we are so vast. You should see SK. If I move I will pass two towns in 67 kms. The majority is Indian Reservations and farmland, mainly cattle. Yes gas is a concern, but Ive kind of kept that as part of the equation. Ill save $1400 a month by being morgage free. Gas will take a chunk, especially the way its going. So I bought a small car.

Mike, I drive one of two vehicles a white F150 with an OFC sticker, NL sticker and Apple Stocker in the back window... or a black honda with a apple sticker in the rear window... I am usually on the Hwy around 6:30ish am

I work in Vaughan (the Jane St exit) where abouts are you?

G

I get off at the 403 split and head to Dundas from there. I am in Mississauga. I used #5 the whole until the 407 on the way home. The $150 a month is bad enough for 1 way a month. I will keep an eye out for ya for sure. I need to get me a OFC Sticker for the Truck and Boat.

I am not usually on the 407 till about 7 or 7:30 though. Yeah I am lazy but I play hockey in Oakville 2 nights a week so usually 4 out of 5 days i am not home until about 10 or 11.

The only other distinguishing mark on my truck is the Passenger side has Vent Visors and the Drivers Side doesnt. I had to rip them off haha.

I'll keep an eye out for the stickers.

Good call on the small car! I drive the Honda mainly to and from work... I have a gas allowance from work... and I never exceed it in the car and I commute more then you will be... now with the truck I blow through the 500.00 in less then 2 weeks!

I would say you might have a decent pay off here... especially if your plan is to retire in the next few years..

Keep us updated as to your plans.

G

it's not worth it...it will drive you into the ground...too much time away from home

I have to agree.

Too much time on the road, makes an 8 hour day into a 12 hour day.......it sucks.

But if your into that kinda thing........ :whistling::dunno:

Sinker

Hmm, if you're only 2 years away from being mortgage free right now, that's not a very long time.

Personally I would never make any long term decision based on a short term inconvenience or problem.

Another thing to consider, is the area you're considering buying in as good an investment?

If North Battleford will gain you more equity I probably wouldn't make the move.

Bottom line though, which ever option will improve your quality of life, that's the one I'd take.

Personally I couldn't even imagine that. When I work that far away from home, they give me $95.00 per day and I get a room.

Not all of us have the luxury of sweetass union contracts Dan. :rolleyes:

Rob, it doesnt sound too bad. 40 min. one way isnt that big a deal, but yea, your fuel costs might be the clincher.

Bottom line though, which ever option will improve your quality of life, that's the one I'd take.

What do you do now? If you just come home from work and flop on the couch, the extra time spent commuting won't make any difference.

If you really want to live in the town you're thinking of moving to, the commute should be no problem. I've been commuting 47 km each way for the last 20 years, I've about had enough, but I can retire next year. I took the job 20 years ago because I thought I would be moving somewhere else, but it didn't happen.

I don't mind the drive most of the time, but I waste up to 2 hours a day getting to work and back.

Make sure your wife really wants to do the commute too, I know couples who have done similar moves, the wives seem to think it's no problem at first, but a year or 2 later are not very happy about it.