How do you launch your boat?

danbouck

After reading Hookset's thread I thought I would ask how everybody launches their boat at the ramp. I figured everybody will probably do it a different way.

Personally I'm just used to launching my 16' tinny that is very light. I end up just backing up and sliding it back and to load it's as easy as grabbing the rope and giving it one good pull and she's one. I'll have to see that best way to do it with a bigger boat next month when I pick up my new one.

Unload, pretty much the same, tie 25 feet of launch rope to the winch leg, undo all straps and safety chain, inspect launch, back up, tap brakes, boat slides off, drive fwd, get out tie off the boat, go park. Load, back trailer into water just touching the rear center roller to water, hook winch strap to bow eye, crank, saftety chain, go park somewhere out of the way and finish the tie downs and securing all the kit and caboodle. Then get out the last cup of coffee and watch the entertainment.

I too am a new boat owner this year. And am scared poopless about looking like a tool come launch time.

I figure I will do lots of practice launches and retrieves at a quiet time down on the river (I have a friend with a ramp). I am glad that I have read these posts though. Not only for the lessons of how not to do things, but also the fact that if I screw up I certainly won’t be the first.

I do the same to unload.But putting it back on the trailer I just drive it right up to the bow stop and reach over and hook the chain on.If when driving on the trailer the boat becomes a little crooked just turn the wheel in the direction you want the back end to go and give it a shot of throttle and it will straighten right out.It doesnt take very much throttle to get the boat on the trailer when the bunks are wet.So back in far enough to soke the bunks and then pull it out to where you want it .Its quick and its easy especilly when your by yourself.

Launched mine in a lot of different places, boat is ready to go into the water before I block a ramp, and yes the drain plug is in before the boat hits the water, remember that tip!

Launched off a rock at the French river, beaches at camps on the Georgian bay, always nice to have a decent ramp and a small crowd though. I have done it alone when I lived 1/2 mile from Lake Erie and used to fish during the weekday evenings. With friends or their kids, or mine.

Drain plug is BIG!!!!!!!!!

Forgot last year at Chippewa and ended up bailing a lot of water!

I forgot my plug once and wasn't turning around to get it. So I completely covered a rag in grease(safe for all the little fishies) and pulled it through the hole. Fished for 4 hours with not a drop of water in the boat!

The launching is the easy part. Just unhook everything, put in the plug, and dump it in the lake. If I have someone with me, i just get them to drive, and I stay in the boat. If I'm alone, I tie a piece of rope to the boat, and to the trailer......back down, tap the brakes, and she slides right off......let it drift clear of the trailer and slowly pull away until the boat beaches. Then tie up the boat ,or at least get it out of the way if there is no docks.

Now loading up the trailer is where it gets fun, if your doing it for the first time. I have a sweet spot on my trailer, where I back it in to. I stop just as the end center roller hits the water.........Sometimes my wheels don't even get wet, depending on the launch. I have the winch strap already pulled out far enough that I can reach the boat with it. Get the boat on the last roller, hook up the strap, and winch it on......easy as pie.

You run into problems if the trailer is too far in the water, or too far out of the water. You have to find the sweet spot for your boat/trailer combo. I can put my boat on the trailer by myself in about 3 mins. I find it takes longer when someone tries to "help" me.

Sinker

I'm fortunate in that I always have someone else along.

For launching, all prep work is completed (and the plug) before I approach the launch. I typically back it in to went the bunks and pull up a bit to walk behind the boat. I climb in the boart and my partner backs up a little more. Fire the engine, unhook the strap, and back right out. My partner pulls out and parks.

For landing, back in until the bunks are good and wet. Pull up so part of the front of the bunks are out of the water and run the boat up as far as I can. Hook up the strap and pull it on up on. I do have one problem and that is getting the boat centered between the wheels. There's a bit of carpet on the wheel coverings and it's a little hard getting her centered so that she's not rubbing. I may only have an inch or two on each side to work with. I typically have to get into the water and push/pull the the thing to keep it centered while my partner slowly pulls out. This is the most time consuming part of landing for me. Fortunately, the places I go are not that busy, so I'm not holding others up too long.

Still got some practicing to do backing up ... but I'm getting better each time I do it.

I'm glad you asked this question Danbouck! ;) There are as many ways to launch as there are people to tell you how, but only a handful of them are efficient!

I personally back my trailer down the ramp and just far enough into the water so that stern of the boat just barely floats off the bunks but is still cradled loosely inbetween the drive-on guides. I put the truck in PARK and apply the PARKING BRAKE! The truck is always left running with the drivers side window down in any weather (can't lock the keys in the truck this way). The back tires of the truck will be right at the waters edge, so when I hop out of the truck I hop up onto the drivers side rear tire and into the bed of the truck... then out the back of the bed and down onto the tongue of the trailer where I unhook the safety cable and winch strap, give a little push while walking the tongue (about 2 feet) then hop in the boat on the bow. As soon as the bow clears the rear of the trailer the trolling motor is deployed and I make my way over the dock in high gear tie the boat to the dock hop out and trot back over to the truck to pull up into a parking place. Truck is parked and locked, I walk back to the dock, castoff and motor away from the launch area with the trolling motor. Once the boat is far enough away from the launch and dock I start the big motor and make any minor preparations if need be.

To me, this is the second fastest way I know to launch a boat with the dump and run (2 person) being the first. I always launch by myself so this is the fastest way for me.

The launch rope method is a good and very popular method but can be aggravating in windy conditions and it takes a little longer.

Some folks like to power the boat off the trailer with the big motor, I'm not partial to this method, if the motor is hard to crank it will take too much time and hold others up. If the trailer isn't far enough back in the water you can fill your bilge with reverse gear propwash (I've seen that one and still get a chuckle when I remember it :w00t:)

Edited by Greencoachdog

Drain plug is BIG!!!!!!!!!

Forgot last year at Chippewa and ended up bailing a lot of water!

If you have a "tinny" with an internal plug you can easily reach, you can pull the plug while the boat is in gear and in forward motin and all the water will drain out. I used to get a lot of disturbed looks whenever I'd do this with somebody not familiar to the procedure in the boat when I had my first leaker/tiller/tinny.

If you have a "tinny" with an internal plug you can easily reach, you can pull the plug while the boat is in gear and in forward motin and all the water will drain out. I used to get a lot of disturbed looks whenever I'd do this with somebody not familiar to the procedure in the boat when I had my first leaker/tiller/tinny.

My Dad used to do that Glen when I was a kid and it used to scare the poop out of me :o

YOU had a TILLER? Who would have thought :dunno:

Just don't run down the lake draining water, and forget to put it back in!! Been there, done that :blush: Boy does it fill up fast :canadian:

Sinker

first thing I do is get every thing ready before it's my turn to launch

nothing is worst then some guy screwing around trying to get things ready while already backed down the ramp

I clip the rope on the boat and wrap it around the trailer, back it into the water hit the brakes the boat slides off and I drive the truck forward till the trailer is enough out of the water that I can grab the rope with out getting wet

so I stop the truck jump out and grab the rope and pull to stop the boat from going back if there is something to tie the boat to I do if not I walk the rope/boat over to where I can dock it.... then put the truck away......if there are other people waiting to use the ramp most times they will offer to hold the rope and boat till you park the truck

Pretty much like Fisherman said about launching. Mine though is a 16' tinny with a 25hp on it.

If solo I tie the bow line to the winch post when I get to the ramp, then back it in enough for it to float off and then pull ahead, carefully, go to fast and you can tighten the rope up and smash your boat into the bunkers. If my son or wife is with me then they just stand on the dock and handle the bow line and possibly the stern line. Pull away and park and don't take too long.

Reloading; back up grab the bow line and pull it square on the bunkers and balance myself on the trailer between the winch and bow, snap the winch rope on and crank it up. Pull out of the way to a safe spot, tie it down, tie the cover on and home to the garage.

Oh yeah, if you have worms on board and you cover it up or garage it don't forget the worms. They stink like you wouldn't believe in the heat after a week! Don't know how many times I've forgotten them.

The important thing is don't tense up, ignore the audience standing next to ramp watching your comedy fiasco unfolding before them and get the heck out of the way for the next boat.

Try practicing at a mall parking lot when it is closed or in an area that is wide and open. Try backing up for a distance and keeping it straight, try backing into parking spaces, but don't forget that everything you learn in the parking lot won't always work on a ramp. When the trailer is on a different slope than the tow vehicle all the rules you just learned can change and the trailer just won't respond the same way. Same can be true when backing it into your driveway up the sidewalk ramp.

And don't forget to unplug the trailer lights when going into the water and remember to plug them back in before you pull away.

Hey danbouk I have the same boat as you bought and launching and loading is a breeze.The dealer will go over that with you.To launch ,I get the boat ready (putting in plug,taking off straps ect.) away from the launch.I have a rope tied to the front cleat of the boat that I tie with lots of slack to the tie downs on the bed of the truck and undo the winch strap.I back in the boat till it just floats.Put the truck in park,hop out and grab the rope that was tied to the bed of the truck.Give the boat a push and gide it to the dock to tie it up out of the way.Pull the truck out and your good to go.To load just back the trailer in till 1/3 of the bunks are out of the water.Get in the boat and go slowly into the trailer.Don't worry if your not totaly straight because the load giudes will put you straight.You will feel when you touch the bunks and the boat will straighten out.Now that you are touching the bunks and straight burp the throtlle till she sets right up against the bow roller.Shut off and tilt the motor.Go to the front of the boat , reach over and hook up the winch,climb over the bow into the truck and climb out using the rear tire as a step.Pull the boat out and away from the launch,make sure the boat is winched up tight and do the straps up ect.Your good to go.

Of course if you have a partner it saves alot of time but it is still easy by yourself.

Just a note too: Pick up some of that gritty traction tape and put a couple strips on the wheel fenders of your trailer as they are the step you use to get in and out of the boat when its on the trailer and they get some slippery when wet.I had big bruises on my both shinns till I put that stuff on.

I launch and load over a 100 times a season by myself so it is second nature now.

Pretty well the same system as most of the other posts...

Park the boat out of the way of the launch

Remove transom straps, check plug (always leave it in), trim up kicker and main motor, grab transom saver

Back into water so hitch is still on dry land - hop out of truck un-hook bow, grab 15 foot rope tied to side bow cleat and fasten to dock

Back boat in water as it slowly floats off trailer

Park Truck

Head back to dock hop in boat start engine, un-tie and head out fishing

Load...

Hook up to dock

Go get truck and back in trailer until bunks are under water, then pull out so 1 inch of trailer fender is showing(every trailer is different)

Put on emergency brake and hop out

Back up boat to allow a straight line at trailer and then drive on trailer - I have six bunks so it self centers and is a peice of cake to drive on.

Shut off engine and trim up kicker and main engine

Hop out of boat onto dock

Tighten down bow strap with winch

Jump in truck and pull out

Pull away from ramp as not to block anyone that may show up to launch or load

Put on Transom Saver, Straps and do a walk around to check tires, lights and hitch connection.

Head home

Happy fishing this season...

-s

Edited by eye-tracker

Unload, pretty much the same, tie 25 feet of launch rope to the winch leg, undo all straps and safety chain, inspect launch, back up, tap brakes, boat slides off, drive fwd, get out tie off the boat, go park. Load, back trailer into water just touching the rear center roller to water, hook winch strap to bow eye, crank, saftety chain, go park somewhere out of the way and finish the tie downs and securing all the kit and caboodle. Then get out the last cup of coffee and watch the entertainment.

:clapping: :clapping:

BANG ON !!

First of all most trailer have too small a winch.

If you ever have to pull the boat onto the trailer you will want the biggest strongest winch you can fit on the tower.

An oversize winch can also be used to pull the boat and trailer up to the truck if you get into some

backwater lake and can't pull the trailer and boat out. It's a lot cheaper that a tow truck.

If that's not clear let me know and I will expound on the idea.

Launching the boat...

I am almost always alone, so my launch method is designed for the single angler.

Like others I use a rope attached to the winch tower. My rope is long...40 or 50 feet.

I back in until the boat floats, then tap the brakes, just like others have suggested.

Retrieving the boat...

Every trailer I have ever owned was slightly different. When I first use a new trailer I make a guess at how deep it needs to be.

What I want is a spot where the boat can idle up inside the side guides and center it's self, without hitting the winch stop.

It might take a couple of launches, but I will find that sweet spot.

It might be the tips of the bunks, or 3 - 4 inches of fender above water...what I need is something that is repeatable on any ramp.

I idle in until the boat stops, then goose it to push the bow up to the winch roller.

If you're trailer is too deep the boat jumps ahead and you hit the roller too hard.

Too shallow and you don't have enough power to slide all the way up to the stop.

When you find the sweet spot, you snug up against it smoothly until you see the truck move...grin.

This seems to work better with glass Bass boats that with riveted hulls.

Edited by garry2rs