TV purchase. Where/What is best?

Bernie

Hello folks. Thinking about getting a new TV. I have an 9 year old Panasonic 50" rear projection thats seen better days.

I would like to stay with a larger screen as it is a fairly large room. There seems to be a multitude of choices out there now. Plasma, LCD and rear projection LCD. Its not imperative that it needs to be thin because as I said there is lots of space. Researching, to be truthful, has only confused me more. Plasma so its said is better for faster action with less blurring but isn't as good in a brighter room. Also they can be power hungry. LCD apparently has less glare on the screen but can blur in fast action.

My next question is where is the best place to buy a TV these days? Used to be our local furniture guy but it seems technology has overtaken him as well as pricing. I would love to buy from him but he doesn't seem too interested in selling TV's anymore.

What are your thoughts and experiences? Thank you.

I hear plasma is the best but I've got a 48" Philips Rear projection HD and it is great! I got it from Leons a couple years ago. I'm not really a fan of the LCD they just don't seem very clear when watching normal TV.

In asked the same question on here over 3 years ago Bernie. I settled for a dlp. I've had a few problems with it that were settled through warranty. I bought a 5 year extended warranty and I'll be calling the service guy again soon. My picture is very much degraded since I bought it. Being a smoker, I'm guessing that my color wheel or my chip is dirty. I've followed this technology since and I'd still not recommend a plasma, but LCD is looking good to me.

Go with Sony. I have a 50" HD LCD, and have never had any problems with it.

When it comes to electronics DONT cheap out.

You get what you pay for.

Once you get it, let us all know, cause we are coming over to watch the NHL Playoffs! :lol:

Never had any issues with my Panasonic. Well that is until the kids broke the screen. :wallbash:

I suppose an extended warranty may be a good idea until this newer stuff gets a few more years under it.

Major purchases I wont cheap out on. Just don't want to buy and find out six months later it's half the price. Ya, I know it can happen. But I have been putting this purchase off for a while hoping the technology will just hold still for more than the 6 months. Is there anything earthshattering coming out soon? Hmmmmm, pay yer money and take yer chances. Dammit!

Really depends on where the TV is going. In the livingroom? You plan on watching it during the day? How bright is the room? If you are in a fairly bright room, you'll wanna stay away from plasma. Either a LCD or RP LCD would be the ticket.

Just got a 42 inch Sharp Aquios LCD and I really like it!

Me too (mines on the bedroom wall at the foot of the bed) ... and I cant stop saying .. WOW ... look at that picture !!! Too bad the leafs wont be in the playoffs because the HD games are AWESOME on it.

But dont cheap out .. get the HDMI cables (for the converter and the DVD) and get the HD PVR for your converter ... it makes ALOT of difference ...

Edited by camillj

samsung is coming out with some great products....

Hell yeah, have you see how low $ the 46" LCD (4671) is now? I move in to my new house at the end of summer the this is the TV I am going to get. Unless the new OLED is a good price. But Samsung does have some CRAZY new stuff coming out!

Edited by Geoff W

just a warning about rear projection LCDs. The lamp will go about after 5000 hours or roughly 2 years or less. These are not covered under any extended warranty and will run you about 4-500 to replace.My just went on my Hitachi after about 20 months. After searching I was able to find one on line for about half price. To do it over I would go with plasma or a true LCD.

Just got a 42 inch Sharp Aquios LCD and I really like it!

I'm right there with you bucktail , after months of searching and reading my choice finally came to a 42 LCD sharp aquos , but i admit earing great things about the Sony bravia ;)

It all depend on how much you want to spend.

Low to Main stream TV? I would go with LCD.

If I had money to spend (High End) I would get Plasma. (Pioneer Elite Series)

or

If you want best bang for your buck? Look for Sony RearProjection SXRD 50~55". Look around BestBuy and it can be had for $1200. (not listen on their website anymore and can be found in some stores)

Edited by mikeymikey

Hey Bernie,

Like just about everything else, everyone is going to have an opinion, be it right or wrong. May I suggest that you have a look here http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=106 and perhaps sign up and ask any questions you want?

Nice group of people here to, and very knowledgeable.

PS... you can pick up a 32in TUBE TV for a couple of hundred bucks right now, and we both know it will outlast any of the new stuff!

IF you could hold off buying for a bit, some new and really cool technology is coming out soon, that may well leave LCD and Plasma in the dust.

HH

just a warning about rear projection LCDs. The lamp will go about after 5000 hours or roughly 2 years or less. These are not covered under any extended warranty and will run you about 4-500 to replace.My just went on my Hitachi after about 20 months. After searching I was able to find one on line for about half price. To do it over I would go with plasma or a true LCD.

I have had my Sony rear projection for around 6 years. It's been great no bulb issues, decent pic (for a rear projection). I'm gonna wait for a year or so. If I absolutely had to buy now I would probably go 50" Samsung plasma.

Its alittle far for ya Bud but,

I picked up a great desktop there a couple of months back

Tyendinaga Electronics

Its on the Rez just east of Belleville..

You can google their website to have a look see.......

NO TAXES.......Absolutely none.

Prices are even lower to boot.

No seconds or refurbished items and everything not only carries the maker.model warranty but the store does as well.

Great customer service.

Bernie, I have my opinion... My next TV will be a plasma.. I have a 56" DLP now..

BUT PLEASE... once you find a TV talk to ME... I still purchase @ cost, and there is a considerable markup on TV's.

G

PS... Mikeymike Pioneer has stopped making Plasma's.... (Sucks I liked the elite series too!)

Thank you to all for the replies. Technology is great but it becomes a wait and see thing. :wacko: There isn't a panic to get one but you wait six months and then you hear of something else new. O well summer is coming and won't be much TV watching anyway(other than NASCAR).

Blue Ray seems to have won out from what I understand. Just what it means I'm not sure yet.

I did get a glimpse of the new display technology Joe. Apparently an LCD that doesn't need a backlight. Crazy expensive right now though.

Thank you for the offer Gerritt, I will definitely keep that in mind!

Maybe I'll just go fishing. :blink:

Edited by Bernie

I think you are talking about OLED... And yes, HDDVD is dead, Toshiba has officially dropped it. What does this mean? If you want to watch HD on disk, it's going to have to be Blu-ray :)

6 months in the TV world is like 3 years in the human world. You can never catch up and there is already going to be something better out there. You just need some that is going to satisfy you and that's it...

Whatever you settle on make sure it is full HD, e.g., 1080P. As far as where to buy, it's pretty tough to beat Gerritt's offer of "cost", otherwise I'd suggest playing Future Shop against Best Buy. For example if Best Buy has the unit on sale go to Future Shop and get them to price match - you'll get the lower price plus 10% of the difference.