Nf- Any Ofnc Cough Remedies?

charlesn

Hello,

Was wondernig if you guys and gals had any remedies for a lingering cough? Been coughing for almost a month now with no sign of let up. Guess it's time to go see the doc again (3 weeks ago told me not to worry about it, it was almost done).

In terms of the cough drops, I found that the original strong Fishermen's Friends work the best, followed by Ricola then Halls.

Charles

I'd go see the Doc,30 days is a little lenghty for a cold or cough

I ended up with Influenza last year which sent me to the hospital,not the common cold,influenza the real deal

You might have an infection or probs with bronchitis,which could lead to anything

Get a bill of health,I don't like medicine but at times its the only solution

Be well and get well

Edited by marc thorpe

buckleys will fix you up ;)

for a home remedy....

slice up a lemon and throw it all in a pot with about 2 cups of water. boil the lemon (including seeds and peels) for a while then take it off the heat and stir in a big scoop of honey. force yourself to drink it while its very hot. this will clear your sinuses, sooth your throat and cure the cough :thumbsup_anim:

Ya, will have to go see the doc I guess.

I tried the Buckley's and it does work a little bit (I actually don't mind the menthol and pine cone taste lol), but it doesn't seem to last. Tried a bunch of old asian home remedies that left me feeling nauseous from the smell and still coughing.

Went through 2 bottles of Benylin (1 night time, 1 day time), and afraid to go get more since they say on the bottle not to use it for more than 10 days.

Thanks,

Charles

Drambue or Sambuca...sipped slowly..not guzzled ! Keeps my wife from coughing her lungs out or breaking ribs doing so, when nothing else is working.

Of course you need to see a Doctor. As FinDevil pointed out sounds like Broncitous. A few mask treatments of Pulmicort and one of the many models of "puffers" (now "inhalers" as most are propellant free now) may be in your future.

While waiting to see a doc, try ginger tea. Not sure if you've already tried, but if you haven't, it might be worth a shot. Boil ginger in a pot, pour into a cup, add some honey, and drink while hot. Simple and wacky, but I was suprised by how soothing it was when I had a long bout of coughing last year. The taste isn't to die for, but you get used to it after a few sips.

Thanks!

Tried the ginger tea (with lemon), soothing and ya, not too tasty, but have drank about a gallon since it started.

Sambuca is the one that tastes like black licorice right? Bad memories from University with that... lol

I can't believe 30+ minutes of googling and I still haven't found my doc's phone number on-line!!!

Charles

Charles

Are you getting your sleep? 5 years ago I had a annoying eye infection. Every morning when I woke up my eyelids would be cemented closed. Many different things where prescribed...none worked. This started in the spring. I had also been having trouble sleeping. In the fall I made an appointment and was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. Once I got a CPAP machine and started getting proper sleep...within a week my eyes cleared up on there own.

I guess my immune system was so messed up because I was run down from lack of proper sleep.

I'm definately no doctor. Just trying to emphasis how important sleep is to your overall health.

I'm with everyone else on this thread....go see a doctor...a month seems like a long time for a cough to be hanging on.

Just because you have socialized Health Care, it doesn't mean you have to go to the doctor when you're sick eh? Like someone else mentioned you may have chronic bronchitis or worse Mycoplasma Pnuemonia (walking Pnuemonia) which is a very hard bug to kill! I had it last year.

Over the counter cough remedies are little more than water and home remedies are less than that.

Go to the doctor! 2 shots in the butt, an antibiotic, a decongestant, and a narcotic cough medicine should fix you up... if you don't feel alot better in 3 to 5 days , go back to the doctor!!! It's common sense, you're not much use to anyone sick, and the longer you let it drag on the harder it will be to cure it.

Called the doc, closed til the new year. Thanks for all the precautionary tales, I admit I'm a little stupid at times when it comes to avoiding the doctor.

I've been sleeping ok, battling a 3.5 month old for an hour each night before bed time (for us both) tuckers me out so I sleep pretty good. lol

Thanks,

Charles

P.S. If you think Ex-lax is effective, you need to try some of the home remedies I ingested. nuff said about that! :)